sharetrader
Page 182 of 347 FirstFirst ... 82132172178179180181182183184185186192232282 ... LastLast
Results 2,716 to 2,730 of 5201
  1. #2716
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    In the trough
    Posts
    372

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Kiwis in Australia are not eligible for the Australian support package. Will that mean that NZ will be on the line to pay social welfare to Australian residents who are on the NZ special category visa?

    https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...ia-very-urgent
    From the article:

    "Most New Zealanders who arrived in Australia after February 2001 are excluded from claiming social security and most other benefits, despite paying into the scheme.
    Other foreigners working in Australia are able to claim the scheme if they are permanent residents.

    Australians are not excluded from the comparable scheme in New Zealand."

    Why does Australia go out of their way to treat NZ like $#1t? It seems to me to be a very one sided relationship. All take, no give.

  2. #2717
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Balance, they found remnants of the virus RNA. Just means it had been there, not that you can still get infected by it.
    Facts please.......

  3. #2718
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    1,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclical View Post
    Why does Australia go out of their way to treat NZ like $#1t? It seems to me to be a very one sided relationship. All take, no give.
    Maybe our best and brightest will figure that out - fair weather friends only!

  4. #2719
    Legend Balance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    12,518

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclical View Post
    From the article:

    "Most New Zealanders who arrived in Australia after February 2001 are excluded from claiming social security and most other benefits, despite paying into the scheme.
    Other foreigners working in Australia are able to claim the scheme if they are permanent residents.

    Australians are not excluded from the comparable scheme in New Zealand."

    Why does Australia go out of their way to treat NZ like $#1t? It seems to me to be a very one sided relationship. All take, no give.
    Two things:

    1. NZ refused to take action against the backdoor entry of migrants via NZ into Oz.

    2. Oz has always treated NZ as country bumpkins - Air NZ being forced to buy Ansett and Telecom having to buy AAPT to get into the Oz market.

  5. #2720
    Veteran novice
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    7,152

    Default

    Very true, Balance. It's worth remembering too that Kiwis migrate to Australia voluntarily. It suits both parties usually and either is at liberty to come and go, in normal times, and to impose conditions and variations to the arrangements. Unfortunately, we have got into the habit of thinking of trans-Tasman movements as routine as inter-Island domestic travel.

  6. #2721
    Guru Crypto Crude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New Zealand.
    Posts
    2,989

    Default

    Yup ... nz must be a laughing stock to Aussie...
    Remember all the criminals they sent back to NZ...we Have to reciprocate every time that's just text book 101 Jacinda...
    cc

  7. #2722
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    176

    Default

    I - for one - am thrilled we live in a society where the police now apparently get to make the rules:

    https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/120...riental-parade

  8. #2723
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    In the trough
    Posts
    372

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crypto Crude View Post
    Yup ... nz must be a laughing stock to Aussie...
    Remember all the criminals they sent back to NZ...we Have to reciprocate every time that's just text book 101 Jacinda...
    cc
    Yep, they're still doing it. In fact they were going to extend the criteria, but I can't recall the details. We've got one of their's that we really should be rid of... To Jacinda's credit, she's not afraid to call Morrison out on the appalling practice, but I'm afraid it's falling on deaf ears.

  9. #2724
    Guru
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    chch, , New Zealand.
    Posts
    2,790

    Default

    04/03/20 - Number of Infected 4
    08/03/20 - Number of Infected: 8 (was 4)
    13/03/20 - Number of Infected: 16 (was 8)
    18/03/20 - Number of Infected: 32 (was 16)
    23/03/20 - Number of Infected: 64 (was 32)
    28/03/20 - Number of Infected: 128 (was 64)
    02/04/20 - Number of Infected: 256 (was 128)
    07/04/20 - Number of Infected: 512 (was 256)
    12/04/20 - Number of Infected: 1,024 (was 512)
    17/04/20 - Number of Infected: 2,048 (was 1,024)
    22/04/20 - Number of Infected: 4,096 (was 2,048)
    27/04/20 - Number of Infected: 8,192 (was 4,096)
    02/05/20 - Number of infected 16,384 (was 8,192)
    07/05/20 - Number of infected 32,768 was (16,348)
    12/05/20 - Number of infected 65 536 was (32,768)
    17/05/20 - Number of infected 130,076 was (65,536)
    22/05/20 - Number of infected 260,152 was (130,076)
    27/05/20 - Number of infected 510,304 was ( 260,152)

    We are now well past the 512 cases that was predicted to be reached on the 7th of April, so the virus is in urgent need of being slowed down. The lockdown will be crucial, either it works or we will be heading down the path predicted by the chart

  10. #2725
    Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sth Island. New Zealand.
    Posts
    5,048

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post
    04/03/20 - Number of Infected 4
    08/03/20 - Number of Infected: 8 (was 4)
    13/03/20 - Number of Infected: 16 (was 8)
    18/03/20 - Number of Infected: 32 (was 16)
    23/03/20 - Number of Infected: 64 (was 32)
    28/03/20 - Number of Infected: 128 (was 64)
    02/04/20 - Number of Infected: 256 (was 128)
    07/04/20 - Number of Infected: 512 (was 256)
    12/04/20 - Number of Infected: 1,024 (was 512)
    17/04/20 - Number of Infected: 2,048 (was 1,024)
    22/04/20 - Number of Infected: 4,096 (was 2,048)
    27/04/20 - Number of Infected: 8,192 (was 4,096)
    02/05/20 - Number of infected 16,384 (was 8,192)
    07/05/20 - Number of infected 32,768 was (16,348)
    12/05/20 - Number of infected 65 536 was (32,768)
    17/05/20 - Number of infected 130,076 was (65,536)
    22/05/20 - Number of infected 260,152 was (130,076)
    27/05/20 - Number of infected 510,304 was ( 260,152)

    We are now well past the 512 cases that was predicted to be reached on the 7th of April, so the virus is in urgent need of being slowed down. The lockdown will be crucial, either it works or we will be heading down the path predicted by the chart
    How is a simpleton like me supposed to decipher those numbers. Infected in future dates? And was?

  11. #2726
    Guru
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    chch, , New Zealand.
    Posts
    2,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    How is a simpleton like me supposed to decipher those numbers. Infected in future dates? And was?
    Basically the chart started the day we had our first case, and is based on a doubling every 5 days, which at the time was considered to be the spread if left unchecked.
    So it was a prediction, and so far it is not too far off the mark

    In many countries it has actually been doubling quicker than than every Five days
    Last edited by ratkin; 30-03-2020 at 04:25 PM.

  12. #2727
    Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sth Island. New Zealand.
    Posts
    5,048

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post
    Basically the chart started the day we had our first case, and is based on a doubling every 5 days, which at the time was considered to be the spread if left unchecked.
    So it was a prediction, and so far it is not too far off the mark

    In many countries it has actually been doubling quicker than than every Five days
    So if the first number is your prediction, what is the 'was' number?

  13. #2728
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    455

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post
    Labour spin, I know of many so called essential workers who have not yet seen a single mask. Great there is a factory making 80,000 a day but you can hardly say the distribution of masks has been a credit to Jacinda. It has been a shambles.
    Jacinda’s not claiming credit for it, she’s applauding them for producing 80,000 masks a day 7 days a week.
    Where’s the problem this time?

    I simply mentioned Jacinda posting it so anyone could find it if they we’re interested as don’t have a link.

    Essential workers don’t all need mask at this stage, mostly needed by health sector & infected patients.

  14. #2729
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    884

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post
    Basically the chart started the day we had our first case, and is based on a doubling every 5 days, which at the time was considered to be the spread if left unchecked.
    So it was a prediction, and so far it is not too far off the mark

    In many countries it has actually been doubling quicker than than every Five days
    It's probably worthwhile noting that exponential growth projections are based on community spread, not the main source of infections we've seen here which has been returning citizens/PR's.

  15. #2730
    Legend Balance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    12,518

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
    It's probably worthwhile noting that exponential growth projections are based on community spread, not the main source of infections we've seen here which has been returning citizens/PR's.
    Community spread numbers are coming - they are simply not testing for that just yet.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •