sharetrader
Page 3 of 207 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Seems like it's only me that doesn't feel too nervous about this whole virus thing. That probably a bad thing, for me 😓

Quote Originally Posted by Lewylewylewy View Post
    Seems like it's only me that doesn't feel too nervous about this whole virus thing. That probably a bad thing, for me ��
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/07/coro...t-updates.html
    No butts, hold no mutts, (unless they're the furry variety).

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lewylewylewy View Post
    Seems like it's only me that doesn't feel too nervous about this whole virus thing. That probably a bad thing, for me 
    I'm not too nervous, but will be a bit concerned on Thursday. Got to spend 3 days in Auckland Hospital.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by see weed View Post
    I'm not too nervous, but will be a bit concerned on Thursday. Got to spend 3 days in Auckland Hospital.
    No worries there see weed.
    Last winter I visited a family member for several weeks at Northshore Hospital.
    Had to object when they moved someone with influenza into the 4 bed room.
    Coronavirus will not be allowed to spread in NZ(further more its not the season for viral spread)
    We live in the best country (in the extremely unlikely event that anyone with an infectious disease is moved near you object-it takes a few hours of same room contact to catch most virus,s)
    Last edited by fish; 08-02-2020 at 01:18 PM.

Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by Southern_Belle View Post
    Any commentary on potential impact on housing in particular, associated shares. For example repairs to flooded houses, building of new housing stock .... potential to be hindered due to disruption of the supply chain of building materials. Also in Austrailia and the rebuild / repair of fire damaged property. Or am I overthinking and drawing a long bow??
    If we see a slowdown in the economy for an extended period we can expect to see all companies adversely affected. Eventually, however, there will be some attractive buying opportunities of good, beaten-down stocks.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    If we see a slowdown in the economy for an extended period we can expect to see all companies adversely affected. Eventually, however, there will be some attractive buying opportunities of good, beaten-down stocks.
    Those were my thoughts initially.However on reconsideration I decided only to sell part of my portfolio in NZ.I may be selling my 2 asx stocks next week however.

Stocks I have held include Oceania and NZO.Stocks I have partly sold are mecury and Heartland.Stock sold was Air NZ.

Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    Those were my thoughts initially.However on reconsideration I decided only to sell part of my portfolio in NZ.I may be selling my 2 asx stocks next week however.

Stocks I have held include Oceania and NZO.Stocks I have partly sold are mecury and Heartland.Stock sold was Air NZ.
    Just to clarify, fish. I don't intend, at this stage, to sell any stocks - just not buying until the situation settles.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post

My only really substantial holdings are IFT and EBOs. With bits and pieces in SUM, WHS, NWF, GEN, SPK, CHO, AIA Not sure I can be bothered selling, mainly because have the hassle of what to do with the proceeds, and am not one to sell at the first sign of trouble, and believe in them for the long term.
    My style is more, adding to positions in time of weakness rather than selling. So a decent correction would be a double edged sword
    Last edited by ratkin; 08-02-2020 at 01:43 PM.

Here we go again...de javu...last year was trade war....housing collapse...2008 will happen again...etc...then the market kept going up and everyone were annoyed.....

On my BUY list - AIA, AIR and SKC - prices have not gone down to my Buy levels yet (orders are in the system and waiting) but matter of time imo.

Stay clear of THL as the company jas structural issues.

Advanced Member

Perhaps I should clarify-I have a margin lending account which was significantly in the red and I am perhaps over-cautious so just sold enough to be in the black again.Also wanted cash to feel more comfortable planning a round the World trip and catching up with relatives.
    I am of the opinion coronavirus will be over by August

Quote Originally Posted by King1212 View Post
    Here we go again...de javu...last year was trade war....housing collapse...2008 will happen again...etc...then the market kept going up and everyone were annoyed.....
    I wasn't. I was delighted and even started putting a bit of temporarily spare money into ATM in the dips. When I next need to pay some taxes I will sell a slower moving stock (like HGH).

Article in the guardian about the likely impact on the Australian economy. While we are not that dependent on mining, the reminder might be quite relevant for NZ as well:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...st-hit-nations

I guess the big themes are:

1) Chinese have less money to buy stuff (due to lots of unpaid leave forced onto them)
    This will impact in NZ all companies selling into China (any fresh food, sea food, milk powder?, manuka honey, deer penis, cosmetics, other luxury items, ...)

2) Chinese people may not travel impacting education and tourism
    Obvious impact on AIR, airports, hotels, other tourism business, schools and universities, private education providers, general business (malls) and tax intake

3) Chinese factories will have long down times / lower productivity times:
    Less output means as well less input. Will impact on raw materials we provide to China (like logs ...), but might as well mean that stuff we need from China might be delayed.
    Not sure whether our retailers (HGL, KMD, WHS, others) can swap on the fly to other suppliers if Chinese factories don't deliver what was ordered?

4) Rest of the world running out of essential parts they need from China for production and shut their factories down.
    This is an interesting one ... I guess we will find out whether some of our factories are dependent on Chinese parts, but would not expect too big issues. Though e.g. KiwiRail? Are they able to keep their Chinese locomotives on track if e.g. spares are delayed? Who else uses Chinese equipment?

No matter what we think about the real virus risk ... the economic impact on NZ will be quite material if we lose say 3 to 6 months worth of business with one of our largest international trading partners.
    Last edited by BlackPeter; 09-02-2020 at 10:00 AM.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Article in the guardian about the likely impact on the Australian economy. While we are not that dependent on mining, the reminder might be quite relevant for NZ as well:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...st-hit-nations
    Thanks for the link BP. Here's another article from CNN about the impact CV is having on the global economy with regards to disruption of trade, supply chains and travel. Also some mention to negative interest rates, rising global debt levels and how the big powers of the financial world have already depleted most of their arsenals in the fight against weak growth since GFC. It's not an all doom & gloom article though and does allude to some optimism if current interventions start slowing or arresting the spread of CV. However, there's no escaping the fact that first quarter impact since the emergence of the virus is going to have a significant impact on China with ripple effects being felt globally.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/02/08/b...omy/index.html
    Last edited by Mickey; 09-02-2020 at 10:40 AM.

China case growth has peaked, I suspect everyone will be back at work very soon.

Screenshot from 2020-02-09 13:45:10.jpg