sharetrader
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default One fund for long term saving

I am thinking about setting up a separate Sharesies account to invest in one fund for my 5 grandkids (combined). I know I could set up kids accounts for them with reduced fees, but to do that I need IDs, parental permission etc etc. I don’t want to do it that way for various reasons. I just want to invest a little each week for them, for the next 10-15 years or more, separate from my own investments. Won’t be telling them about it - will just let it grow and see what happens down the track.

I am thinking USF would probably be the best fund. Comments, feedback, suggestions? Not talking big amounts of money here. Just a way for me to do something for them.
    Last edited by justakiwi; 12-02-2020 at 09:28 AM.

Great idea. What about TWF Total World Fund - you get a lot of the US in there, plus also exposure to the rest of the world.

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    I am thinking about setting up a separate Sharesies account to invest in one fund for my 5 grandkids (combined). I know I could set up kids accounts for them with reduced fees, but to do that I need IDs, parental permission etc etc. I don’t want to do it that way for various reasons. I just want to invest a little each week for them, for the next 10-15 years or more, separate from my own investments. Won’t be telling them about it - will just let it grow and see what happens down the track.

I am thinking USF would probably be the best fund. Comments, feedback, suggestions? Not talking big amounts of money here. Just a way for me to do something for them.
    DON'T DO IT!

Either invest if for yourself and leave them a couple of dollars each in your will or put the money to your justakiwi treats (wine/chocolate/bubble wrap to pop) fund.
    om mani peme hum

I’m not talking a lot of money. I’m only talking maybe $20 a fortnight or something. Which over 10-15 years would be less than $10,000 invested. But if I picked the right fund, hopefully there would be some growth on top of that. There are a few “It’s complicated” family dynamics involved.

(Could have done with some bubble wrap therapy these past two weeks )

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Leopard View Post
    DON'T DO IT!

Either invest if for yourself and leave them a couple of dollars each in your will or put the money to your justakiwi treats (wine/chocolate/bubble wrap to pop) fund.

True. That could be an option too. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pipi View Post
    Great idea. What about TWF Total World Fund - you get a lot of the US in there, plus also exposure to the rest of the world.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Leopard View Post
    DON'T DO IT!

Remind me again how many children and grandchildren you have? Disc-Have 2 children and 4 grand ones.
    Last edited by couta1; 12-02-2020 at 10:30 AM.

Four grown kids and 5 grandkids (including a step granddaughter). When I die, whatever I have will be split between my kids. If any of them die before me, their kids get their share. If I drop dead tomorrow my total estate is worth maybe $40,000 (I have no property) so we are talking small bikkies. Quite depressing when I look at that figure but hey, it is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    Remind me again how many children and grandchildren you have? Disc-Have 2 children and 4 grand ones.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    Four grown kids and 5 grandkids (including a step granddaughter). When I die, whatever I have will be split between my kids. If any of them die before me, their kids get their share. If I drop dead tomorrow my total estate is worth maybe $40,000 (I have no property) so we are talking small bikkies. Quite depressing when I look at that figure but hey, it is what it is.
    Its all about your heart not the amount, I like that story in the bible about the widows mite.

Advanced Member

Whatever you decide to do, may I suggest you talk to the grandies about it. You are teaching them financial literacy, little by little. Like for example occasionally tell them they own a little tiny bit of company x, choosing a company in the fund that they might relate to. Maybe show them the Sharesies balance time to time and explain why it has gone up and down.

Just talking about a sentence or two now and again. Not a lecture.

I've been working on this in my family for a long time ... getting there.

Advanced Member

Pie Funds , Australasian Dividend fund is on sharsies .
    I put some money in this for my kids 8 years ago , a dollar in ( div reinvested) is now $ 3.30 . Very happy.