Quote Originally Posted by SBQ View Post
My accountant came back and like my bank manager, moving $ around isn't what it use to be. She quoted that for many of the trust accounts she handles where she has to routinely send funds abroad like in the US, if the amounts are over $1,000, then she is required to file a notice to the NZ Police as part of the AML requirements.

All in all 0.6% spread is a very attractive rate and I would be surprised if other FX brokers could beat it.
I send most months a modest amount from a property investment in a Nordic country, back to NZ. Can set the transfer up with online banking in that country but then need to fill in a form that I send to my bank contact there and she forwards it to the Reserve Bank in that country. It sure is getting very cumbersome to send money internationally and nearly impossible to open new accounts with new institutions. All in the name of stopping terrorist funding and money laundering. I wonder if they actually achieve a reduction in such transfers or only make it more difficult for the rest of us !