I'm compelled to sending $ overseas via wire TT but I received an interesting reply from my bank manager:

"The low interest rate environment is tough for people with money and there does not appear to be any end of these low interest rates any time soon - but in saying that, there are no guarantees either. Seeking higher returns will mean accepting greater risks - as you are aware. We do have an Investment/Wealth area - would you like to meet with them to discuss options? I would be happy to make an appointment for you - just let me know

A transaction of NZD$xxx,xxx. leaving NZ (that is what is in the account presently) will mean that it is subject to scrutiny and to this end, you would need to talk with your accountant."

My initial contact with him was to get a better NZD to USD exchange rate conversion for the day. I am aware there are other options such as FX brokers etc. but would prefer to stick with the bank to do it all (convert and wire TT) as it's a huge hassle to open new accounts with a different firm when it's only going to be a "ONE OFF" transaction. Again hassles brought on by AML, CRA, etc. requirements.

Has anyone else had queries when sending large sums abroad? Particularly by IRD if it will trigger an audit? These are after-tax funds that matured from a term deposit and quite frankly, it should seem fit as I please what to do with those funds? But reading the FMA, it seems all the banks have to cross the 'T's and dot the 'I's as they can't afford to make a mistake so it may be of no surprise.

I'm awaiting a reply from my accountant.

To avoid further questions, I would be gifting these funds to my father who holds a US based broker account and is a non-resident of NZ.