sharetrader
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ynot View Post
    It's a brand new flue strain, of course is going to grow. I was implying this needs to be viewed in perspective.
    Playing it will give you all the perspective you need. You should at least look at things before you comment.

It still does not alter my point. The number of deaths still needs to be viewed in perspective.

Legend

It still does not alter my point. The number of deaths still needs to be viewed in perspective.
    Viewing it in perspective simply impresses on me how horrifying and deadly it is.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Viewing it in perspective simply impresses on me how horrifying and deadly it is.
    Please forgive my bluntness but is it more deadly than anything else that kills us. Have a look at the stats for heart disease, stroke, cancer.

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

The 1918-20 flu pandemic is estimated to have killed between 40 and 100 million people worldwide.

Let's stick with the low estimate of 40 million, out of a world population of roughly two billion.

Apply that percentage to the current global population of about 8 billion.

We're not even close.

Legend

Please forgive my bluntness but is it more deadly than anything else that kills us. Have a look at the stats for heart disease, stroke, cancer.
    Please forgive my logic, but you cannot get anything more deadly or less deadly than something that kills you.

Guru

Good article by Dr Roy Spencer:

https://www.drroyspencer.com/2020/03...ality-is-down/

As I am sure you are aware, seasonal flu is a global killer, with 300,000 to 650,000 deaths on average each year, mainly among the elderly and those with pre-existing health conditions. At this writing, COVID-19 has killed 10% or less of that number. (Yes, I realize that number might have been considerably higher if not for our response).

90% of those deaths were this month. Flu deaths spread over the year. If yesterday's deaths happened every day for a year that would total 1.3 million.

It's not clear to me that the disease is dramatically more deadly than flu due to the issue of knowing the number of infected. However, as it's novel (no immunity or vaccine) and very fast spreading it is rather more dangerous than the regular flu season, which itself has the capacity to overwhelm medical systems in a bad year.

Getting back on topic, my guess at this stage is non residential real estate will be impacted negatively by the impending economic downturn. The unknown at this stage is will the downtown impact the residential market ?

Legend

Getting back on topic, my guess at this stage is non residential real estate will be impacted negatively by the impending economic downturn. The unknown at this stage is will the downtown impact the residential market ?
    Why wouldn't it? Ask yourself.