sharetrader

Default Weight loss surgery

Anyone considering or has had weight-loss surgery (or procedure)?

Seems to be a lot of choice these days from balloons to scalpels. A fatty for a long time, I’ve tried numerous ‘diets’ and fads but never been able to maintain any significant loss.

Am now going to see a gastroenterologist in March to investigate ‘Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty’. Rather than slicing you open (or sticking holes in you), they suture your stomach smaller from the inside! Been around for about 10 or so years and supposedly a lot lower complication rates. Still a bit hesitant because I don’t like tubes stuck down my throat. The other thing is that part of me doesn’t want to stop eating at buffets and takeaways—that’s the comfort eating thing, I suppose.

My sister in law had it and very nearly died from an infection she got which was one of those flesh eating infections that was extraordinary hard to treat.
    She had puss and all sorts of gross stuff coming out of her for more than 6 months afterwards...it very nearly killed her.

Maybe its better to simply learn to love yourself the way you are, try and eat a bit healthier and try and get a bit more exercise. Even a 20 minute moderate walk 3 times a week is very good for you and when you get fitter you can step it up to 30 minutes, 3-4 times a week. I am a large overweight Beagle and that's what I do and it has all sorts of benefits in terms of lowering blood pressure, stress, helps with relaxation afterwards, you sleep better, circulation is better and so on...

Maybe try that instead ?
    Last edited by Beagle; 23-02-2020 at 11:24 AM.
    No butts, hold no mutts, (unless they're the furry variety).

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jonboyz View Post
    Anyone considering or has had weight-loss surgery (or procedure)?

Seems to be a lot of choice these days from balloons to scalpels. A fatty for a long time, I’ve tried numerous ‘diets’ and fads but never been able to maintain any significant loss.

Am now going to see a gastroenterologist in March to investigate ‘Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty’. Rather than slicing you open (or sticking holes in you), they suture your stomach smaller from the inside! Been around for about 10 or so years and supposedly a lot lower complication rates. Still a bit hesitant because I don’t like tubes stuck down my throat. The other thing is that part of me doesn’t want to stop eating at buffets and takeaways—that’s the comfort eating thing, I suppose.
    I don't think anyone would like the thought that of tubes down your throat. FWIW I recently had an endoscopy done as part of an investigation, as they suspected internal bleeding when blood test showed me to be anemic. Fortunately it was all a false alarm. But the point is I dreaded the thought of the down the throat bit, but shouldn't have bothered at all. They gave me something to relax throat muscles which eliminates gagging. From that point on I was hardly aware of the procedure. Nothing remotely unpleasant in my case, so from that aspect of things I wouldn't worry at all.

Have a friend contemplating the same thing, hard for to exercise (by walking etc) due to knee issues - was advised by the surgeon to start with a static bike type piece of equipment 20- min 3 times a week then stepping it up to 4-5 times a week.
    Has not started yet, got to want to do it I suppose