sharetrader
Page 2 of 66 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
    Herbacious

I sold out entirely just over a week ago and pulled my managed funds back to cash as well. Proving so far to have been rather well timed (albeit more by accident than by design) as I almost perfectly picked the peak for my portfolio.

I don't particularly think COVID-19 is going to be any great pandemic (in terms of loss of life), but rather that it's coinciding with irrationally high valuations and debt levels and anything that might force a lot of businesses to take a meaningful loss for any sustained period of time is going to cause a flight to safety in case it triggers a more widespread meltdown. Ironically that behaviour in itself leading to a run on the markets.

IMO

The DOW doesn't agree with you Cadalac, down another 1190 points today.I remember going down watching the 2008-9 crash ;never again, selectively sold down many stocks on the 4th Feb. Doing something is better than nothing imo.Then again riding it out is another option, although this is the longest Bull ever, long way to fall if we do end up with a pandemic.
    Last edited by Joshuatree; 28-02-2020 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    The DOW doesn't agree with you Cadalac, down another 1190 points today.
    Exactly, regardless of whether it is FUD or not. Mr Market is selling

This poll result doesn't look to good.
    Last edited by Blue Horseshoe; 28-02-2020 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Spelling

The DOW doesn't agree with you Cadalac, down another 1190 points today.I remember going down watching the 2008-9 crash ;never again, selectively sold down many stocks on the 4th Feb. Doing something is better than nothing imo.Then again riding it out is another option, although this is the longest Bull ever, long way to fall if we do end up with a pandemic.
    Sure is. I think a lot of the young ones on here have never seen a bear market and have only ever known bullish markets so they could be in for a very harsh lesson. I hope I am wrong and this is just a "garden variety" correction. Like you I started selling down much earlier this month and now am almost completely out.
    Banks, finance companies and airlines do very poorly in a bear market so I now have modest sized short positions on AIR and HGH.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

And yet the China market went up. Minimal cases outside China...

Banned

Yes ..bear is here...but people here hoping to bounce back....I believe market has not seen the worst yet....so...yeahh.... buckle up....

Quote Originally Posted by Schrodinger View Post
    That was yesterday, today is another day...
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

getting close to maximum fear though ?
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Quote Originally Posted by Schrodinger View Post
    It went up because the Chinese government bought it up.