sharetrader
Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast
    Advanced Member

Default Shopping list - Best companies to snap up

Right now markets are tumbling, and at some point there are going to be some cracking good bargains emerging. Which companies should be first on the shopping list?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post
    Right now markets are tumbling, and at some point there are going to be some cracking good bargains emerging. Which companies should be first on the shopping list?
    Well just maybe the bargain time is now not at some point, some point may be too late. PS-Small shopping list which is A2 and HLG and I'm already shopping.

Baked beans, pasta, tomato sauce and loo paper
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

too much uncertainty for me to gamble on buying anything , ill rather reduce all debt and make sure my cupboards are full
    one step ahead of the herd

If things really looked like returning to normal any time soon, then the hardest hit sectors would be the ones to get into, and exporters that are going to gain from the lower $. But I haven't got a shopping list yet. Currently, my JPY is doing ok, probably get more of that before looking at shares.

Too early to tell. Making a call now is like saying I am going shopping next week at Countdown and Pak and Save and drawing up my shopping list now without knowing what's going to be on half price special.

What we can say with some degree of certainty is that if this gets really ugly, classic cyclical's are possibly going to head towards the bottom of their cycle. Any company with a weak balance sheet is very vulnerable. I would think stocks likely to be on half price special sometime later this year or 2021 might include, THL, AIR, SML and NZR. Of those with their current boards and management I would only buy AIR or THL at the right price.
    Last edited by Beagle; 01-03-2020 at 02:48 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Advanced Member

Can we not keep bear market stuff on the bear market thread
    and virus stuff on the virus thread.

Only Couta and Biscuit managed to stay on topic
    Last edited by ratkin; 01-03-2020 at 01:19 PM.

percy

Should a vaccine be found for the Corona Virus, I would expect Australian and NZ Govts will call on Ebos to distribute it.
    Other than that, I would sit on the sidelines,until the market turns up.
    I remember the day of 9/11 my portfolio fell $80,000.A month later it had recovered the $80,000 and then the following month it was up $80,000.
    So only time will tell whether we are in a 1987,GFC or a 9/11 crash.
    Companies that have the capacity to pay increasing fully imputed divies,should be the first to recover. [I note both HGH and PGW ,each are paying a cent higher divie than I expected].
    The world will not end.
    Last edited by percy; 01-03-2020 at 01:26 PM.

Can we not keep bear market stuff on the bear market thread
    and virus stuff on the virus thread.

Only Couta and Biscuit managed to stay on topic
    everyone has lol how can know what to buy and what companies to buy with any certainty when you dont know how long the virus is around or the end result of it. its all related. as percy says wait till they find a vaccine then your have certainty of business outcomes otherwise your just gambling
    Last edited by bull....; 01-03-2020 at 01:31 PM.
    one step ahead of the herd

Advanced Member

FPH, I know some will say PE too stretched, but it's always been stretched & too expensive, I remember several years ago even at around $6 it was considered way too expensive by many.

IMHO this is a massively SP changing event for them with their excellent respiratory devices & consumables for both hospitals and home care (no devices made in China) sold in over 120 countries.

I guess that PE will rapidly shrink this year anyway.