sharetrader
Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627 LastLast
    Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Thanks but I would rather just support what has been quite good journalism lately. Never been more important than to stay tapped into local news now.
    Agree Beagle. Signed up from day one and happy to support NZ journalism now. Herald in my view far better than Stuff for some decent news and informative articles.

Thumbs up Pay for journalism

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Thanks but I would rather just support what has been quite good journalism lately. Never been more important than to stay tapped into local news now.
    I agree that we should pay for good news services. I pay a subscription that allows me to read the Dom Post online so I'm not averse to paying for news services.

I'm certain that NZ Herald will be paid for using this channel. It will be paid from the rates I pay to provide library services. I also read e-books via the library and I guarantee that the authors of those books are still getting paid.

Not all newspapers are available through this mechanism (e.g. Dom Post, NY Times) so NZ Herald have clearly decided to make the publication available.

Hi STers, looks to me like a good time to start reinvesting any cash holdings.
    Usually Australia's my happy hunting ground (so not very well versed with nz opportunities), but atm see obvious advantages in NZ's mainly soft (ie food) rather than hard commodity related businesses, esp exporters which will benefit from low dollar. Good sustainable dividends appeal too with such low interest rates. (Scales? Seeka? others?) What sectors and companies do you guys favour atm and which companies look to you to have high upside without taking too much risk?
    Thanks for your ideas^^
    Last edited by DarkHorse; 31-03-2020 at 08:02 PM.

Blis perhaps
    One of the few business benefiting from the virus with increased demand for product, (extra shifts) and meeting a lot of that demand with its online sales.
    Pat
    Prediction is hard even with the crystal ball.

Woodside Petroleum Ltd (WPL) on the ASX.

80% of revenue comes from LNG sales. The share price has halved because the price of LNG is closely correlated to the oil price. Oil has been savaged.
    Two reasons : 1. cv-19 keeping people at home
    2. A price war between Saudi Arabia & Russia

WPL's balance sheet is sound as the company raised money last year at $27 per share to develop new projects. The big ones have been shelved.
    Cost of production is low by world standards.

I have purchased shares in WPL at A$19.60 with a 5 year time frame.
    In time I expect the oil price to recover to US$40.00 plus and the share price with it.
    In the meantime the net dividend yield is about 5%. It is likely to continue on account of the company's cash warchest.

Quote Originally Posted by Felonius View Post
    Woodside Petroleum Ltd (WPL) on the ASX.

80% of revenue comes from LNG sales. The share price has halved because the price of LNG is closely correlated to the oil price. Oil has been savaged.
    Two reasons : 1. cv-19 keeping people at home
    2. A price war between Saudi Arabia & Russia

WPL's balance sheet is sound as the company raised money last year at $27 per share to develop new projects. The big ones have been shelved.
    Cost of production is low by world standards.

I have purchased shares in WPL at A$19.60 with a 5 year time frame.
    In time I expect the oil price to recover to US$40.00 plus and the share price with it.
    In the meantime the net dividend yield is about 5%. It is likely to continue on account of the company's cash warchest.
    Probably not a bad idea for some AUD exposure too atm?

So, who stuck to their shopping list when the NZX crashed in March?

Quote Originally Posted by turnip View Post
    I will be looking out for good prices on ports (AIA POT SPN), horticulture (SEK FWL TGG) and aged/child care (ARV OCA EVO).
    I bought OCA , EVO , and SEK not too far from the bottom, and I picked up some AIA later in the SPP.

IFT wasn't on my list, but I couldn''t resist topping up when it hit $3.00.

My main regret was not buying POT when it went below $5

Any updates to this a year on?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    Any updates to this a year on?
    Mmm ... good question.

I think Wellington Drive (WDT) will keep improving from here.

The company sells products & software with world-wide application. It has a high-tech bent, top-notch customers including a subsidiary of Coca Cola, and the prospect of ever-increasing profits. Prior to covid revenue was growing 15% or more annually.

The company is only breaking even currently. However the market cap. reflects that.
    My one reservation is the search for a new CEO to replace Greg Allen whom I rate highly.

Thank you Greg for bringing this company back from the dead (if you ever read this ).

Stu
    sum
    whs
    arg
    BTC went to $69K and now $16K. Good thing I’ve been warning you since it was $3K! I was right!