sharetrader
Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by beetills View Post
    It will prove to all those that think JA walks on water that a cuddle,a frown and a swish of the hair can't cure everthing.
    Yep she’s a flake
    Her helpers are too.
    She and Robertson fudged the truth on net debt in both their tears jerking retorec on Tuesday
    We can expect more of the same .
    The damage this lots policies will cause will surpass WW2
    And leave NZ as a very very indebted nation.
    Be kind....? Be fkd
    Be real

At some stage, I'm guessing the world's superannuation funds are going to need to switch to net buyers of shares and sellers of bonds. This could bounce share prices very rapidly as it will mean super funds may end up trying to owning a higher percentage of corporates shares than before the selloff.

If the world's public jump back to balanced funds, that's going to super-charge this effect. Hopefully I'm right as I'm still long shares.

Lets assume a super fund had a portfolio of $200 has a target of 50/50 bonds to shares. For simplicity lets assume the bonds don't change in value and the shares fall in value by 40%. The portfolio is now $100 bonds & $60 shares. To rebalance to 50/50 you need to sell $20 of bonds buy $20 of shares so that $80 of both are held. As the value reduction in shares occurred through price, but the value increase occurs by buying shares, the net impact is super funds buying shares and increasing their ownership of companies.

So while super funds may be selling shares as some people shift to conservative/cash positions, at some point this flips and they start selling bonds and buying shares. Bulk selling of bonds would increase their yields. The chart below (which I'm assuming is reliable data) says that between the 5th of March and 16th March the AA ranked US bond yields have gone from a low of 1.68% to 2.70%. It could be the effect above that's doing this.

Then again it could be that no-one is trusting S&P etc ratings and are effectively down-grading them before any official rating change.
    https://ycharts.com/indicators/us_co...ffective_yield

The question I'd love any current/past fund manager insights into is how far they can depart from their desired portfolio weightings and how long their mandates allow them to how this away from desired weighting for.

Seriously, you all sound like Matthius from the film The Omega Man. New world order, without using technology bull****.
    All sectors of the community are going to be affected badly. Not many are going to come out of this unscathed.

Guru

Green Cross Health
    telcos
    Blis
    Pre-prepared food box home deliveries
    https://www.newsroom.co.nz/business/...lth-businesses

Quote Originally Posted by bottomfeeder View Post
    Seriously, you all sound like Matthius from the film The Omega Man. New world order, without using technology bull****.
    All sectors of the community are going to be affected badly. Not many are going to come out of this unscathed.
    Seriously did you read the title of this thread,if you have nothing positive to contribute keep it to yourself

Advanced Member

No more national obsession with rugby
    Uncrowded walkways
    Strangers not wanting to strike up conversation
    People respecting your personal space
    Entertainment value in watching everyone panic
    News not as boring
    Great to be able to see a truly historic event unfold in real time
    Agraphobics no longer feel disadvantaged

Banned

HLG will celebrate it's 148 birthday next year, A2 will continue to smash it out of the ball park and PAZ the dark horse unlisted stock will come out of the dark onto the main board, only 3 stocks I own and I remain positive despite the pussycat virus. PS-Hoping the ski season will go ahead as normal.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    HLG will celebrate it's 148 birthday next year, A2 will continue to smash it out of the ball park and PAZ the dark horse unlisted stock will come out of the dark onto the main board, only 3 stocks I own and I remain positive despite the pussycat virus. PS-Hoping the ski season will go ahead as normal.
    In a sea of toxic posting you remain a breath of fresh air.
    You are thankfully not alone,as I received this last night.
    "we believe this reality is being over-discounted into some share prices with many interesting companies trading down 50-70% or more. A bad year or two will definitely impair value, but some of the price declines – we believe – are unjustified and leave us enthused for our opportunity set."

Well, I bought back yesterday a share at 40% of what I sold out just under 2 months.

Reminds me of the GFC.

Of days like these are millionaires made.

Woke up this morning feeling incredibly positive. We have a brave PM close the border to allow the country to be able to manage and control this virus. We have enough food to feed us, cargo flights can still proceed so that we get the medicines we may need and we have a world class health system that everyone can access regardless of wealth.

I feel like I live in the luckiest country in the world