sharetrader
Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by RnT View Post
    This is good at a micro level, but at a macro level I wonder how this will affect the economy?

I ran some numbers and found that our credit card spending was down about 40% on average per month of lockdown. Pretty much everything we spend excluding our mortgage, daycare, and the odd bill are via our credit card....
    Same here. Just about fell off my chair (in a good way) when I opened up the credit card statement. Down about 50% on our normal spend during the lockdown month ... but amazing how quick a couple of weeks of L2/L3 have let the coffees, takeaways etc creep in.

Quote Originally Posted by RnT View Post
    Thought I'd follow up on this (one month later).

FiveThirtyEight had Trumps approval rating at 44.4% when I made my initial claim. You rightfully pointed out there was a short term downward trend though, but I indicated that even still his overall approval rating was higher than at any time over the previous two years.

Now, one month on, the short term downward trend is now a short term upward trend, and the rating sits at 44.0%.

In short, same conclusion my friend - (when you wash out the noise) Trump's ratings are as strong as ever - you convinced yet lol?
    I guess you are absolutely in your right to point out that roughly 44% of all US American voters according to this survey are either brain dead dumb or just malicious - same as the idiot in the white house they are supporting. This seems to be however a mental state which predates the Coronavirus by years, and so I fail to understand why you stress this tragic fact on the "POSITVE effects of the corona virus" thread?

This is just sad, it is neither positive nor an effect of the Coronavirus - unless you are saying that the Americans bread this virus already in or pre 2016 and unless you welcome the fact that such a large proportion of the US American population are either idiots or malicious and happy to destroy their own country. Do you?

If yes - I heard Trump recommends bleach injections and large doses of Malaria medication ... wouldn't it be a positive effect of the Corona virus if his followers would follow his advise?
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by moka View Post
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12331869
    Lessons from lockdown: The changes we'll keep.
    This won't last. We live in a consumerised society, where a huge proportion receive self-gratification from buying slickly marketed low-quality goods that they believe they are purchasing for a bargain. Witness the mass hysteria when high-end stores like the Warehouse, KMart, Briscoes etc. flung open their doors.
    Last edited by Zaphod; 19-05-2020 at 05:22 PM.

I can confirm having not been buying any coffee or smashed avo on toast i'm now a millionaire, who would've thought. Pity about the economy and record numbers out of work, can't win 'em all i guess.

Default Making America Great Again ...

Wow - what a picture:

CoronaCases.JPG

US clearly leading the world in terms of Corona infections. Trumpy dumpy must be proud how sick he made his people. Most corona cases in the world ...

Just amazing - dumb people love him ...
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Wow - what a picture:

CoronaCases.JPG

US clearly leading the world in terms of Corona infections. Trumpy dumpy must be proud how sick he made his people. Most corona cases in the world ...

Just amazing - dumb people love him ...
    Stick to the thread topic please. We can do without you infecting us on every thread with your Trump fixation.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    Stick to the thread topic please. We can do without you infecting us on every thread with your Trump fixation.
    Can you not see the positive effect on having the orange clot 12,000 kms away!

The Government is introducing new exemptions to the Building Act in a move to save homeowners $18 million in consenting costs each year, though building work must still meet the Building Code, Minister for Building and Construction Jenny Salesa announced today.
    Single-storey detached buildings up to 30 square metres – such as sleep-outs, sheds and greenhouses; carports; awnings; water storage bladders and others will now not require a Council-approved building consent, which will result in 9000 fewer consents to process a year.
    https://www.beehive.govt.nz/release/...ostly-consents
    Last edited by moka; 24-05-2020 at 07:59 PM.

Jacqui Graham, the joint chief executive of The Wise Group, one of New Zealand’s largest charities, told the Epidemic Response committee that her sector did not want to go back to the way things were before Covid-19.
    “The standout for us throughout this period is the change in our relationship with government, DHBs and ministers,” she said. “Put simply, the change is so significant that as an organisation and sector, we don’t want to go back to how it was before Covid … now we have a high trust environment, there’s a new respect and collegiality, we get things done really quickly, together, and all the barriers, red tape and mindless activities have been removed.” She noted that government employees favoured this system to, and that allowing it to continue in the future would allow more frontline employees to do their jobs, rather than be caught up in administration.
    Graham also noted that her people have not had difficulties obtaining the PPE they needed, but there had been frustrations with their dealings with the 14 DHBs, who had “14 different ways of operating”.
    https://thespinoff.co.nz/society/30-...es-be-tracked/

Guru

"Imports in April 2020 had their biggest fall since October 2009, resulting in a monthly trade surplus of $1.3 billion, Stats NZ said today"
    https://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/BU20...ay+27+May+2020

I don't think that positive for exporters though if $NZ rises