sharetrader
Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Guru

We are experiencing Industrial Revolution 4. IR's are system disrupters
    IR4 is being tempered by very powerful "old school" business groups.
    Covid lockdowns could be the catalyst for another leap up in the continuing communication revolution and an overdue push forward for a Biotech revolution.
    Expect new things (some appearing suddenly which we haven't thought of yet) to emerge to help us increase our standard of living and the make businesses much more efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    We are experiencing Industrial Revolution 4. IR's are system disrupters
    IR4 is being tempered by very powerful "old school" business groups.
    Covid lockdowns could be the catalyst for another leap up in the continuing communication revolution and an overdue push forward for a Biotech revolution.
    Expect new things (some appearing suddenly which we haven't thought of yet) to emerge to help us increase our standard of living and the make businesses much more efficient.
    Biochips as your currency and ID will make perfect sense and be hard to argue against I suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    This is neither a positive or a negative but I've been thinking that hotdesking in businesses, which has been all the rage for some years now, along with shared workspaces to some extent are now going to have to be rethought. The best advice on social distancing in the workplace is to either work from home or for everyone to have well-spaced working areas that are for them alone. Otherwise, unless you are sanitising stations between workdays/shifts very expertly, you run the risk of spreading a contagion right through a workforce.

Working from home will definitely become more acceptable.

I wonder if a newfound interest (perhaps out of necessity) for fixing things and "making do" will be a positive consequence of this crisis.

For reference, I am one of those dreaded millennials, and in the past have definitely been guilty of buying something new when I could have fixed what I already had.

The webcam on my laptop broke recently (great when you're trying to video conference from home) and I'm out of warranty. In the past I probably would have gone and bought a new laptop and justified it because I "need it for work". However, I remembered I had an old webcam with a broken stand. With help from dad managed to get it mounted on a tripod (which I already had) instead and working perfectly.

Veteran novice

With help from dad managed to get it mounted on a tripod (which I already had) instead and working perfectly.
    Yes, these baby boomers have their uses!

Working from home will be the norm.

All companies in the finance related services (insurance, mortgage advisors, accountancy, etc etc) will have staff working from home. Minimal office space for meetings (including meeting clients). Most meetings including client meetings will be on Skype or similar. Even factories will have their admin staff (accounting, HR, etc) working mainly from home with small shared office space at the site for rare occasions.

That will reduce travelling time, and people will have more time to be with family and friends, to learn or otherwise improve/enrich themselves.

Better for the environment with less emission, less traffic jams (again more productive use of time) - less need for fossil fuel, or for electricity. Reduce wear and tear of cars, lower import costs.

Free up need for office space. More for housing.

Home delivery services - food, groceries and e-commerce will flourish as people can be at home to receive parcels. Deliveries also easier as less traffic on road.

The future will be bright!

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Yes, these baby boomers have their uses!

I'm a Boomer. I would have biffed it.

Assuming this goes full 1929 and people get financially devastated, it will help future generations to remember to live within their means and not take on unimaginable debt. People have all but forgotten the lessons of our grandparents and the stories of extreme financial hardships not just during the depression but at many other times during our great nation's development.

It will also help future generations of Sharetraders to never make big one ways bets; to always keep 3-5 years of cash on hand for living expenses or 15 to 25 per cent of one's portfolio, whatever works; to have 5 to 10 per cent of their portfolio in gold.
    Last edited by Bobdn; 22-03-2020 at 04:45 PM.

It gives me a good excuse to go shopping....trying to use up all my airpoints at Mitre 10 in case Air NZ goes bankrupt or nationalised. So far have painted my fence, bought a BBQ, two vegepods with airpoint dollars.

Not sure it's positive, but i wonder if this could cause stagflation. High demand, lower supply for goods, with a general recessionary effect going on, leads to flat or lower salaries.

Might be good for some manufacturers in the short term, but bad in the long term.