sharetrader
Page 16 of 36 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bobdn View Post
    The overreaction of government's around the world and the resultant steep decline in markets have enabled me to deploy cash that I had built up over the last year back into the market. That's positive for me. Now, it could be that the worst depression the world has ever seen comes out of this and I lose all my money, only time will tell. If that happens, that will be a negative and I'll need to post it on the other thread.

Australia has on average 1500 to 3000 influenza deaths each year. Covid has taken 50 souls so far.

New Zealand has on average 400- 500 influenza deaths each year. Covid has taken the life of one person so far.
    Had to happen again - the old Flu is worse rational.
    I said ages ago that if the lockdown is successful we will have few deaths and people will use that as justification for the idea that it was to harsh.

Just trying to be positive, not trying to trigger you or others. I'm just happy that the covid has caused 500x less deaths than the flu in NZ. This is the positive thread.

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    Had to happen again - the old Flu is worse rational.
    I said ages ago that if the lockdown is successful we will have few deaths and people will use that as justification for the idea that it was to harsh.

Yeah let's not go down that track - it's chalk and cheese.

Let's stick with the science on this one.

It has been a fantastic time for rational investors to pick up quality companies at good prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinesekiwi View Post
    Yeah let's not go down that track - it's chalk and cheese.

Let's stick with the science on this one.
    Comparing the mortality rates of one viral infection with another viral infection is a bit nutty I agree but I put my crazy comment down to the lockdown and long lines at the supermarket and not being able to find flour to bake my cheese scones.

Although I do note that the WHO says the covid and flu have some similarities! I wonder if "apples and oranges" rather than chalk and cheese would have been a more apt phrase. Apples and organges are both fruit after all and edible.

https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-de...-and-influenza
    Last edited by Bobdn; 09-04-2020 at 01:42 PM.

What? This thread still going. Amazing, the ill effects more than cancel out any perceived benefits. I think anyone commenting on this thread has bad taste and no empathy for those that have taken such a large hit and will still be suffering for some time to come. Come on lets hear it, no doubt the ignore button will be pressed a number of times now.

Quote Originally Posted by clip View Post
    Can you imagine the young and the ethnic turning out in droves to vote for an old, rich, sometimes-seemingly-senile, white man?
    They did in South Carolina

Bobdn you've been triggering me for at least two weeks now! I'd rather you stay away from this thread too.

bottomfeeder - there are some positives - more time with the family for one. Also creates opportunity for many to reflect on where their future was headed; financially or otherwise. No one is suggesting there aren't significant adverse facts but to suggest that a thread discussing some positives is in bad taste is absurd IMO. You should be having a go at those who are downplaying the health risk that this forum has been awash with - don't have to look far for that (hint look at the post immediately before yours)...

Quote Originally Posted by davflaws View Post
    They did in South Carolina
    I suppose trump meets all of my own criteria I was applying to Biden as well, but people still vote for him

I've come to appreciate our wonderful public health system more as a result of this crisis. With its 10,034 bed capacity (including 176 in ICU), our Health system has been able to handle the covid patients without the need to build urgent new facilities like other countries have had to e.g. Wuhan, China. Currently 18 people are in NZ hospitals with the covid as of today.

It's great to know that so far, and I appreciate we haven't come to the other side of this, we have the infrastructure in place to deal with the crisis.