sharetrader
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    You should never risk the safety and security of your family home for shares. That's gross recklessness in the current circumstances in my opinion.

This is going to be really bad https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12321458
    Exactly, Beagle! I'm not sure that everyone realises the gravity of the situation yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    You should never risk the safety and security of your family home for shares. That's gross recklessness in the current circumstances in my opinion.

This is going to be really bad https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12321458
    You risk it every day you put money into something other than your mortgage and whether it is reckless or not depends on a number of factors including equity, salary and industry which I didn’t specify and don’t intend to

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Exactly, Beagle! I'm not sure that everyone realises the gravity of the situation yet.
    Yes I agree except conversely gravity = potential opportunity for investors

Reckless, had good a laugh. It's reckless to have all your money in property.

Quote Originally Posted by Entrep View Post
    You risk it every day you put money into something other than your mortgage and whether it is reckless or not depends on a number of factors including equity, salary and industry which I didn’t specify and don’t intend to
    absolutely, all these are factors that come into your decision making, including your degree of risk acceptance, your insurance cover, a 2nd income , no. of kids, which is why we can only go by the guideline - which is don't do it.

If you know all these things and they are well sorted then you may be able to come to a decision to ignore all the advice , take the risk, and in 5 years time you'll be laughing your way to a mega portfolio - maybe.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    absolutely, all these are factors that come into your decision making, including your degree of risk acceptance, your insurance cover, a 2nd income , no. of kids, which is why we can only go by the guideline - which is don't do it.

If you know all these things and they are well sorted then you may be able to come to a decision to ignore all the advice , take the risk, and in 5 years time you'll be laughing your way to a mega portfolio - maybe.
    I concur with you Peat.
    Tick
    Low interest rates for a while.
    What happens when all the helicopter money is looking for a return
    Mega potential for portfolio returns as per 2009
    Just be wary if inflation picks up
    Mega potential for portfolio slashed also so I have diversified portfolio of investments

Revolving credit available & ready.less risky than CFD's
    Last edited by kiora; 02-04-2020 at 03:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    your insurance cover,
    maybe needs to be clarified what should be put into place

If I was taking risks relying on my income I would stump up for some sort of permanent disability insurance , and life insurance with enough cover to buy the portfolio outright and provide sufficient income for the wife and kids.
    Unexpected stuff can happen, and you should see these insurance costs as the price for taking on extra risk and mitigating that risk wherever it is possible to do so.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Entrep View Post
    The choice with money, to put it into your mortgage - or into another asset, can't ever avoid the risk of choosing the worst option.