sharetrader
Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Bank stocks

Guru

Angry Bank stocks

The N Z RBA has just ann that bank stocks cannot pay dividends until there is a recovery, this means that on top of the N Z banks not paying a dividend to N Z investors they cannot pay any dividend to their Aust parent bank !
    Last edited by whatsup; 02-04-2020 at 10:11 AM.

Everything possible must be done to prop up the housing bubble that stands in place of our deceased economy. If banks stop lending a 7x price-to-income ratio will not remain sustainable.

Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by whatsup View Post
    The N Z RBA has just ann that bank stocks cannot pay dividends until there is a recovery, this means that on top of the N Z banks not paying a dividend to N Z investors they cannot pay any dividend to their Aust parent bank !
    The big NZ banks don't pay dividends to NZ investors, of course, it's the Aust parents who pay, in "normal" circumstances. How they ( the parents) will be affected we wait to find out. The shareholders of the smaller NZ banks are the ones directly affected by the RBNZ's dictum.

If i own Anz shares purchased on the ASX what would be my prognosis regarding a divie?

percy

You would be entitled to it.

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    The big NZ banks don't pay dividends to NZ investors, of course, it's the Aust parents who pay, in "normal" circumstances. How they ( the parents) will be affected we wait to find out. The shareholders of the smaller NZ banks are the ones directly affected by the RBNZ's dictum.
    There are some debt issues that pay out "dividends" though I think, and there are capital buybacks which were going to take place.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    You would be entitled to it.
    Provided ANZ declared one and the RBA didn't follow the RBNZ lead.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    Provided ANZ declared one and the RBA didn't follow the RBNZ lead.
    Agreed................................
    ie ANZ Aussie.
    Banks supply the "Oil" for economies to function,that is why RBNZ is relaxing capital ratios and providing liquidity.
    After the South Canterbury Finance fiasco they are not guaranteeing 100% of loans,just 80% which should stop "foolish" bank lending.Lesson learnt.
    RBNZ and the Govt are playing their part,and I expect the banks will play their part.

ps.I doubt there are many business people, who have not at some time, been very lucky to have had a supportive bank.
    Last edited by percy; 02-04-2020 at 01:25 PM.

Europe has done it too. We could hear the squealing from here if they did it in Australia. From what I've heard self managed super schemes in Australia are heavily weighted to the banks and other losers.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Europe has done it too. We could hear the squealing from here if they did it in Australia. From what I've heard self managed super schemes in Australia are heavily weighted to the banks and other losers.
    Marketscreener.com has the market cap of financial stocks within the ASX200 as being $295b (and that is after the recent price declines). The next three biggest categories are basic minerals at $177b, Healthcare at $110b and Industrials at $66b. Any Australian super scheme (be it self managed or not) that kept anything close to ASX200 weightings will have a big holding in Australian banks.