sharetrader
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Bank stocks

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    A dead certainty.
    WBC and ANZ will probably follow NAB, however there is a lessened likelihood of CBA doing this due to their financial position.

Advanced Member

BNZ increases profit 6 months to March to $562 Million up 6% on a year ago, even as NZ economy hit by Covad crisis & lockdown. (While it's Aussie parent, NAB halved it's profit)

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/business/...onths-to-march
    Last edited by Blue Skies; 28-04-2020 at 01:05 PM. Reason: to add link

Re all bank stocks incl HGH
    I am struggling to understand how the direct losses have been incurred from Covid 19 already.
    Provisions get made and they are best estimates etc but surely the amount of actual definite losses at this point is SFA
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Veteran novice

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    Re all bank stocks incl HGH
    I am struggling to understand how the direct losses have been incurred from Covid 19 already.
    Provisions get made and they are best estimates etc but surely the amount of actual definite losses at this point is SFA
    Yes, they're provisions based on estimates of the effect on the economy and the overall creditworthiness of their lending portfolio. The provisions may prove to be excessive, adequate or inadequate but in previous instances its sometimes been an opportunity to clear the decks and err on the side of caution, ie over rather than under-provide.

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    The provisions may prove to be excessive, adequate or inadequate...
    No one is going to disagree with you on that.

Dilettante

I am surprised to read Sir John Key say in the Herald today that the Government has banned banks to lend to both commercial property and agriculture, under the business loan guarantee scheme. It seems very odd to include agriculture in this !
    Last edited by iceman; 30-04-2020 at 08:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I am surprised to read Sir John Key say in the Herald today that the Government has banned banks to lend to both commercial property and agriculture, under the business loan guarantee scheme. It seems very odd to include agriculture in this !
    Logical, I would have thought?

The loan guarantee is to enable struggling businesses to access bank loans and retain jobs.

Agriculture is doing very well and commercial properties are purely investment.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Logical, I would have thought?

The loan guarantee is to enable struggling businesses to access bank loans and retain jobs.

Agriculture is doing very well and commercial properties are purely investment.
    Agree with the commercial property but not agriculture. Some agriculture businesses are struggling with all sorts of unforeseen issues related to the lockdown, transport and employment problems. Don't see why they had to be excluded.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    there all trying to get farmers to reduce debt , its a big risk for banks and govt if ag rolls over.
    one step ahead of the herd

[QUOTE=bull....;811834]there all trying to get farmers to reduce debt , its a big risk for banks and govt if ag rolls over.[/QUOTE

What scenario would that be likely ?