sharetrader

Thread: Sharsies vs ASB

Threaded View

I am a long term investor so rarely sell. I accumulate in Sharesies, over time, then when a particular holding gets to a certain value level I pay $5 to transfer the holding out to whichever share registry they use. For example, I recently transferred out my OCA and KFL holdings. I am not currently planning to buy any more, so they are now registered with Computershare, with DRP enabled. Computershare keeps me updated re dividends/DRP and any upcoming warrants issues etc.

Advantage of that is they now sit under my CSN, which my Sharesies holdings do not. To be honest, I’m not entirely sure what the process will be if I ever want to sell some - I do have an ASB Securities account which I haven’t used for years, but I’m sure if I ever want to sell some, I will be able to do it via them. Someone else will no doubt be able to elaborate on that.

Sharesies has been awesome for me as they have made it possible for me to get back into investing, after many years of being unable to, due to unaffordable brokerage fees. But, as I said, there are now some frustrations that I am no longer willing to simply put up with. So I now use Sharesies as one of several “tools” rather than as my number one platform.

Quote Originally Posted by epower View Post
    So do you build up over time and then sell in sharesies and buy in ASB securities for example or do you do an off market transfer between brokers? i.e. what I'm after is the cost and tax implications of doing so?
    Last edited by justakiwi; 20-06-2021 at 01:29 PM.