sharetrader
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default NZSA - why join?

Newbie question: why join the NZ Shareholders Association? Anyone got any experience of benefits for your average retail investor that would make it worth the $145 annual fee? Which I'm guessing would be tax deductible? I'm also thinking of nominating the NZSA as my standing proxy (free) as every vote helps, and very often I miss the deadline for my AGM votes anyway. Any thoughts appreciated...

Before joining perhaps go along to your local group, as and when these things start up. Also have a look around their website nzshareholders.co.nz. I joined for a year but found I didn't get a lot from it but this was also partly because I was often busy on a Tuesday evening which is when they have their meetings in Wellington. Their regular magazine, the Script, was well worth a read.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by kiwico View Post
    Before joining perhaps go along to your local group, as and when these things start up. Also have a look around their website nzshareholders.co.nz. I joined for a year but found I didn't get a lot from it but this was also partly because I was often busy on a Tuesday evening which is when they have their meetings in Wellington. Their regular magazine, the Script, was well worth a read.
    Yes definitely go to the local meetings when Covid permits. Also Scrip is a good read, they issue that about 6 times a year. It provides an update as to what happened at most AGM's that are held along with many other relevant articles.
    The NZSA also has a standing proxy if you so wish that you can set and forget and let the NZSA vote your shares. They have certainly gained a lot more clout in recent years and companies that are listed definitely engage with the NZSA some even prior to making decisions on capital raisings etc.
    There is a lot behind the scenes that you might not see but for the $145 per annum there is plenty in it for the retail investor.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Yes definitely go to the local meetings when Covid permits. Also Scrip is a good read, they issue that about 6 times a year. It provides an update as to what happened at most AGM's that are held along with many other relevant articles.
    The NZSA also has a standing proxy if you so wish that you can set and forget and let the NZSA vote your shares. They have certainly gained a lot more clout in recent years and companies that are listed definitely engage with the NZSA some even prior to making decisions on capital raisings etc.
    There is a lot behind the scenes that you might not see but for the $145 per annum there is plenty in it for the retail investor.
    You just need one good idea from them to make $1,000 or avoid losing $1,000.

So forget about the fee - it’s about what one can get from being a member.

I fully agree Balance and blackcap. NZSA fees would still be a bargain at 10 times the amount.
    To miss out on available knowledge is to miss out on opportunities.
    Hmmm thinking about it a bit more. Less members of the NZSA maybe less competition for those opportunities for people who are NZSA members. .
    Last edited by forest; 07-05-2020 at 02:49 PM.

Thanks for the input everyone - much appreciated.

Nearest branch appears to be Auckland, which isn't much use. Nothing up in Northland?

Anyway, I'll give it a go. Not least to lend weight to the investor lobby. I've already lodged NZSA proxies with both registries.

Cheers. ��

I would hope that all sharemarket investors would join the NZSA. I have been a member for many years and usually give a donation as well. I cannot think that there has been an instance where I have directly financially benefited from being a member and that is not important to me. It is important to have an organisation that does monitor what is going on in the markets and that hopefully encourages some companies to be a bit more honest and that is good for us all.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by forest View Post
    I fully agree Balance and blackcap. NZSA fees would still be a bargain at 10 times the amount.
    To miss out on available knowledge is to miss out on opportunities.
    Hmmm thinking about it a bit more. Less members of the NZSA maybe less competition for those opportunities for people who are NZSA members. .
    I share the views expressed by Balance, forest, blackap and Brain. Have been a member for a few years and find the information they send out useful and the local meetings as well, even though I haven´t been able to attend as many as I would like. NZSA has also become increasingly accepted as a valid force by many listed companies that happily engage with them, which gives us retail investors somebody to advocate on our behalf. Money well spent in my view (and yes of course it is tax deductible).

Convinced me to join $145 a year not much in the scheme of things

One of us is the new CEO Of the NZSA

Congratulation Oliver
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”