sharetrader
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Yet I can't help thinking, this is the place I'd rather be...

Quote Originally Posted by Panda-NZ- View Post
    One word.. patent law. Thankfully we don't have this here. Also no culture of litigation for every minor issue.
    From an engineering perspective, patents are meaningless in a world where everyone steals. NZ generally follows international patent laws just so the west follows any NZ patents. But for China, is it OK for a company like Huawei to steal IP and sell it to us? Plenty of cheap stuff on Alibaba of questionable tech sources.

Have many friends living in the US, none of them feel threatened by being sued or doing something minor. I do believe gov't regulations gives less back in public good than if done by the private sector. A clear example where I grew up, BC, Canada the auto insurance authority is ICBC (wholly gov't owned and operated). Next door is Alberta which the province operates entirely privately run insurance where they leave people to sue. Residents of BC have always paid excessively more on auto insurance than Alberta and claimants received less in BC from auto injuries than the latter. Similar examples can be seen in telephone, utilities, etc. (I believe in NZ telephone is a clear example of where gov't state owned could not pass on the benefit to the consumers where the private operates could).

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    The USA came together in 1789 as former British colonies with a common legal system, culture and language.
    THE EU/EEC started in 1957 as group of nations with a diverse range of languages and cultures.

There has been a co-operative international system including bodies such as the IMF, OECD, WTO which allowed the USA to prosper by co-operatively trading and investing around the World. It was not the USA versus the World - until Trump came along.

The UK joined the EEC in 1973. Until it left in 2016 its GDP per person in USD terms increased by a factor of 13. Since it left the EU (2016-19) ts USD GDP per person has fallen.

Between 1973-2016 The USA GDP per person in USD terms only increased by a factor of 10.7.

Please explain why you think the EU is failing in comparison to the USA.

Figures from https://countryeconomy.com
    When i look at the UK GDP Growth rate all i see is lower highs and lower lows..the trajectory has been down since the 70s ?

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-...-growth-annual

Guru

Sometimes even Blackrock managers say what they believe

"DeSpirito added that when it comes to stocks, absolute valuations, which calculate present values of businesses by forecasting future cash flows, “are not cheap. That said, stocks are still very attractively priced when compared with bonds. The implied equity risk premium (the expected return on stocks over bonds) is still quite high,” said DeSpirito.

His stock picks include a mix of stable health care, technology and consumer staples businesses and a mix of more cyclical financials, energy and industrials companies.

If the virus “continues to wane,” and activity starts to normalize, S&P 500 SPX, 1.79% earnings estimates for 2021 should “approximate the original estimates for this year.

“A recession shouldn’t really change either the long-term growth of the economy, the earnings power of the S&P 500 index, or the valuation of the market. The market always overshoots in corrections,” said DeSpirito."
    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/bl...of2&yptr=yahoo

Guru

"The first year following the five biggest bear markets over the last 90 years averaged 71%, underscoring the importance of staying invested and avoiding the urge to abandon stocks during market volatility."
    "History has shown that strong businesses find a way to survive and even thrive when times are tough. Those that can adapt to difficult conditions and become stronger often make attractive long-term investments."
    Long time coming on NZX. Waiting,poised....... for the next biggie NZX company
    https://www.goodreturns.co.nz/articl...or+27+May+2020

Guru

"The interesting thing to watch now will be how quickly cash that may have found itself deposited in a mattress account is now 'put back', as the RBNZ expects it to be."
    "So, according to the RBNZ annual figures over $1 billion more in the hard folding stuff was out there as at March 25, 2020 than had been the case a year earlier. Total cash in the hands of the public was just under $7.318 billion,"
    https://www.interest.co.nz/banking/1...ay+28+May+2020

Permanent Newbie

NZX50 at 11,118 or 8% below all time highs. Central banks will do whatever it takes to keep them elevated. Jerome Powell doesn't even think his policies are increasing wealth inequality. I think he was a lawyer so lying should come easy to him. Adrian Orr I guess is obliged to follow suit as there is also a currency war to consider.
    It is upsetting mostly as I was hoping for a chance for buyers and sellers to find prices and interest rates that reflect risk at much lower prices and much higher interest rates.

From what I read from (admittedly US centric) news even the experts (intelligent people) are suggesting there is no free market when it comes to interest rates and asset prices. These policies are killing capitalism and as more wealth and power ends up in fewer hands we are likely to see worse outcomes for people generally. In fact historically it is the quickest way to communism. The switch to nationalising businesses will be easier if central banks own the stock market.

Gold below $1,700 today all is well so I guess it is not a dead cat bounce but the fastest recovery, probably in history (definitely a "V"). Buy and hold, don't fight the central banks.

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Buy and hold, don't fight the central banks.
    Do you own any shares yet Aaron, or still waiting?

So everyone in agreement here, it's going to be a V recovery ?

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    Do you own any shares yet Aaron, or still waiting?
    Missed the crash waiting for the dead cat bounce. Still think there might be further to go but less likely as we seem to be coming out of lockdown OKish. I held onto what I had but what I was wanting was the opportunity of a lifetime, which I may have had in March to buy more dividend paying shares at a good yield and to leverage up so I no longer have cash. That way central bank insanity won't upset me as much.

Also distressing I am what might be considered overweight in gold producers EVN, NCM, NST & RMS(leftover from a previous disastrous investment) they have done OK but not the riches I was hoping for. Also uncomfortable holding these as they are a speculation and I have little idea about gold mining and gold markets other than central banks are ruining the value of a dollar and gold is a safe haven. If central banks start selling gold I may never retire.
    Last edited by Aaron; 04-06-2020 at 09:13 AM.