sharetrader
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Membaa

Default Back in the black

So how’s it going for you? I dumped a few shares once it became obvious that a serious drop was going to happen, literally in only a few days. What a fast crash It was eh!

So that cash I held aside and topped up building a cash reserve to about 50% of total portfolio now. Some of it I deployed into averaging down some holdings when it became obvious that the bounce had legs.

Today my holdings with their lower cost average hit the black again (still well down from previous highs), this is including dividends. And I’ve got that 50% cash sitting waiting to move when I’m convinced there isn’t second wave or another crash coming, happy even if that wait is quite a while.

I’m feeling pretty chuffed actually to have done a few things at least, be back in the black and have plenty of upside to previous highs, and a stash to deploy where I think it’s safer to do so.

How about you? Got any good news stories how you’ve navigated the rout and in a better position for the future?

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Sounds good Baa Baa, treat yourself to a glass of your favourite as you admire you portfolio balance this evening.

I am doing OK financially as well. I sold a few things on the way down to mid-March but I was very slow recognising that the subsequent recovery was happening big time.
    I was expecting/hoping for a long period of low prices. The U instead of the V.

However I have it managed well: during the last few months seven different NZ shares have been my largest holding as I have invested spare cash in various racing certainties.

Today my number one is OCA
    om mani peme hum

My teensy weensy portfolio hardly counts, but ... I sold the very small number of HGH I had, and ventured into OCA too. Today, Sharesight tells me my total return (capital gains + dividends) since first purchase (2016 with KFL) is 21.94% p.a and 11.32% p.a for the current calendar year. My KiwiSaver balance is almost back to where it was pre-lockdown, although my overall return is obviously down (6.86%).

So I’m a happy little camper

Dilettante

Been an interesting period that´s for sure. I started selling some such as AIR very early, back in January and then during Feb-March completely rearranged my portfolio with a different focus. Now around 50% of total portfolio in and around food production and rest technology, healthcare,freighting and gentailers plus around 15% cash on a 6 months fixed term deposit since Feb (just so I can not touch it). Was a hard decision to sell completely out of long term holds in great companies such as HLG & HGH, purely based on a decision to exit those sectors. Both have had a good recovery since I sold.
    But that fixed term deposit is the only cash I´ve held throughout this crisis, rest has all been reinvested quickly, much of it into a couple of shares on the USX which have done very well but a little concerned how big the portion of my portfolio is now invested in the illiquid USX. But both are intended for very long term hold.

The overall porfolio balance is higher (roughly 15%) than it was at the start of the calendar year. But no time for complacency yet.
    Last edited by iceman; 04-06-2020 at 07:29 PM.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    My teensy weensy portfolio hardly counts, but ... I sold the very small number of HGH I had, and ventured into OCA too. Today, Sharesight tells me my total return (capital gains + dividends) since first purchase (2016 with KFL) is 21.94% p.a and 11.32% p.a for the current calendar year. My KiwiSaver balance is almost back to where it was pre-lockdown, although my overall return is obviously down (6.86%).

So I’m a happy little camper
    You are going great guns,.!

Thank you!

To be fair/honest though, KFL is mainly responsible for that return

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    You are going great guns,.!

percy

Roller coaster ride for me.
    12th March portfolio..........'''''''''''' ...100 %.
    14th May portfolio .down 16.8% to...83,2%
    2nd June portfolio well up ..........to 125%. This was an increase of 25% from 12th March and a 50% increase from 14th May.
    Still holding the very large cash pile,and am in no hurry to spend it.
    So well in the black and holding cash,means I do n't have to do anything.

ps.I include the cash pile in the portfolio figures.
    Last edited by percy; 04-06-2020 at 07:49 PM.

Today was the day I caught up with where I had been pre Covid-19. I held on far too long to my mainly NZX portfolio but today my cash and shares are back up to my previous high point on 15th Feb. Now only 29% of my share are on the NZX with shares on the ASX now being my largest portfolio. I'm currently 75% in shares and 25% cash and have no idea what my KiwiSaver has done.

For me I haven't sold a single share but actually bought more HGH @.92 then @.96 and $1.01. Vhp @ $2.15, Spk @ $3.95 and ARV @1.10 the others I hold are CNU, IFT, MEL and GNE. As of tonight im about 2-3% off my precovid level.
    If HGH had of stayed at its day high I would have been even I recon.

I am up 24.8% year to date against a backdrop of the NZX50 which is now back to almost exactly where it started the year just over 5 months ago so I feel quite content about that, especially in the context of Covid 19 although one of my character flaws is I am always too hard on myself and expect better. I misjudged the extent of the bounce-back since 23 March and stayed with too much cash, (still over 50%) and am now finding it very difficult to find value in the market. I still don't trust this bounce so am very cautious about deploying cash at present.

I see the fact that the NZX50 is back to its level on 31 December 2019 as a warning that the market is currently not pricing risk and the underlying state of the economy appropriately.

I am never content to rest on my laurels (but that's a new trick I am trying to learn...alas it is hard for an old dog to learn new tricks), as I think there's a lot of cash on the sidelines looking for a home and some people are starting to succumb to FOMO which partially explains why the market is where it is, as does the enormous stimulus the Government have injected into the economy.
    I will relentlessly and doggedly try and sniff out opportunities but they are very thin on the ground with the market at the current level.
    Last edited by Beagle; 04-06-2020 at 08:31 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine