Everyone, not just rookies, makes decisions that in hindsight, would be nice to replay differently. Most people on this forum are loathe to admit to these "lapses", which given the fragility of our egos lol is understandable. Logic should inform us that in investing in the market, given that the unknowns are well unknowable, it would be absolutely normal for "mistakes to happen". However, no-one sets out to make mistakes, they make decisions based on available information at the time. Time advances, more info occurs and whoops what started out as a well thought out theory has been gazumped by fresh data. This is constant, forever and ever amen. One way of avoiding this is make regular consistent moves that have the benefit of smoothing out the peaks and crevasses. An army of experienced investors, armed with PHD's in economics and statistical analysis have written books and devoted years of study and no-one yet has arrived at the point where they could say, finally, "i understand the share market and wont be making any more mistakes". Everyone has to find their own way that suits their personality and finances. Mistakes are part of investing but we learn from them and move on. I made the "mistake" of not buying more after the big drop as well...but at the time who was to know how quick the recovery would be. Theoretically they could have kept dropping so i hedged my bets by spending only 60 to 70% of cash available. Not a "mistake" but a conservative decision. Opportunities come, go and other opportunities come again. Look forward for the next one is easier than self flagellation over whats already passed. In any case I'm not flexible enough to kick myself lol...which is probably a good thing.
Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
Anyone regret anything they did or didn’t do, investment-wise, over the Covid/lockdown period? In hindsight, my one regret is that I stopped my regular weekly orders temporarily. It did mean I was able to pick up larger (for me) parcels of shares in a couple of holdings, but it also meant I missed out on the opportunity to add to my other holdings at very discounted prices. I should have kept my regular small orders going and used savings to buy the “extras”

Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but yeah, a missed opportunity.

Anyone else kicking yourself just a bit now?