sharetrader
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Default LayBuy NZ - Buy Now Pay Later

Another NZ company familiar to many is heading for an IPO on the ASX. Not sure if this is the same Laybuy I remember from my youth but regardless its now a buy now pay later company.

The NZ BNPL player was initially looking to raise up to $45 million for its IPO but it is understood the company could now shoot for up to $60 million. The targeted market capitalisation is unchanged at about $200 million.

~

The fresh capital would be used to fund Laybuy's balance sheet, allowing it to increase its loans. Laybuy is active in Australia, New Zealand and the United Kingdom and requires its customers to pay back their purchases in six weekly instalments.

- NZ buy now, pay later outfit Laybuy readies IPO roadshow round two
    You can use Laybuy to shop online or in store at Briscoes, Glassons, Hannahs, Repco, Mocka etc. https://www.laybuy.com/nz/shop-here

2019 NZ Stock Picking Winner silverblizzard888's Avatar

It made sense for this company to go to the ASX, the space for BNPL is so much bigger and people over there understand it so much more.
    At a $200 million valuation its not bad.

Yes guess it makes sense for them but there is plenty of money in NZ too chasing fewer and fewer companies. Think they might be forgotten about in Aus or taken over at some point.

A question guys, is it possible for a retail investor to buy into the IPO ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    A question guys, is it possible for a retail investor to buy into the IPO ?

Thanks
    It was. but that has now closed. You'll need to now wait for them to list.

Here is a link to their prospectus : https://laybuyinvestors.com/FormBuil...Prospectus.pdf

Guru

Impairments seem to be running a bit high for a BNPL pureplay...
    Not sure how great it is relying on a third party for credit checks... I'm pretty sure it would be better long term to create your own credit checking system... this, along with other factors, has me truly struggling to see what Laybuy's "amazing technology" that is differentiated from other BNPL's...

Quote Originally Posted by trader_jackson View Post
    Impairments seem to be running a bit high for a BNPL pureplay...
    Not sure how great it is relying on a third party for credit checks... I'm pretty sure it would be better long term to create your own credit checking system... this, along with other factors, has me truly struggling to see what Laybuy's "amazing technology" that is differentiated from other BNPL's...
    Your platform only needs to work and be scalable. From there it's all about customer acquisition for me, whilst keeping those defaulters down.

Customers don't really care about the technology.... they just want the credit.

AfterPay has a huge first mover advantage though. So will be tough winning mind share.

Thanks heaps for that.

Must read article (and comments) by Tim Hunter on NBR about the upcoming float. Also very relevant to Afterpay and the whole sector.

Laybuy floats into Australia's fintech frenzy
    https://www.nbr.co.nz/analysis/laybu...fintech-frenzy

Explains well why despite my early interest in the sector, I've never managed to invest.

In short, bubble, bubble, bubblegum.