Hi all,
If there are any tax experts in here i would appreciate some tips.

I have been trading US and NZ shares for the last couple of years, and i have worked out all my gains and losses from my US account and my NZ account on a spreadsheet in excel.
I have used the IRD monthly averages for translating the US trades into NZ dollars. This has all been done sufficiently.

The question i have is about the money i have transferred into my US trading account which i used to purchase and sell shares etc -

Do i need to work out if there was any gains or losses from the money that has been exchanged into US dollars and then back into NZ dollars?

I can give an example of what i'm trying to ask here as it may sound confusing: Say i transferred NZD $10,000 into USD $6,500 when the exchange rate was .65 then i do some trading with this money and just for simplicity's sake i do not make any actual gains or loss from trading, but the exchange rate has dropped to .60 and i decide i want to move the USD $6500 back to NZD and now its worth NZD $10,833.33 ​there is a gain of $833.33 there just from a change in rates... Do i need to pay tax on this $833.33 gain because i was actively trading shares even though this gain was incidental to trading those US shares?

Bear in mind i still translate the US share trades into NZD using the IRD's exchange rates to account for the trade gains/losses for when i file my IR3.

I'd be very appreciative if someone knows what to do here, i have an accounting degree but i can't find any information anywhere on this sort of stuff so i have been working it out with help from various people (including other accountants and professional investors/traders). I'm just not looking forward to going through my transactions to work out any gains or losses from currency exchanges lol.