sharetrader
Page 76 of 479 FirstFirst ... 266672737475767778798086126176 ... LastLast
    Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    And when Russia & China were both weak during the 1980s and 1990s, which country was busy promoting wars and mayhem around the world?

None of us want war but it is a fact that the US has invaded and killed more people in foreign wars than any other country in the decades after WW2.

And it is a fact that the US sells more military weapons and machines than any other country.

So I read everything which comes out of the US these days with that perspective in mind.

WOMD.
    Wouldn't it be great if ALL countries just simply did not invade others? China should stay out of Taiwan, Russia should stay out of the Ukraine and eastern Europe, America should stop doing every 20 year invasions of Iraq and the middle east, and so on. In a discussion around the risk of another russian invasion breathlessly harping on about America's litany of shortcomings is deflection and whataboutism . A spade is a spade.

Well said FM.

Russia and China are currently the ones looking to invade.

Harping on about what USA have done in the past is true but not what we are looking at right now

Balance looking a bit like a CCP sympathizer

I agree FM but sadly the fact is that absolute power corrupts absolutely.

I can't recall the markets reacting that badly when Russia invaded Crimea ? Maybe the old dog's memory had faded too much...
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    I agree FM but sadly the fact is that absolute power corrupts absolutely.

I can't recall the markets reacting that badly when Russia invaded Crimea ? Maybe the old dog's memory had faded too much...
    It sure does. It's wrong when anyone does it.

It's not like people here on this site or elsewhere are just hitting refresh on the pentagon's website looking to be spoon fed another piece of propo to regurgitate to someone. By and large I think most people's view of russia's intention is informed by Russia's previous invasion of crimea and the donbass region, their continuous threats both veiled and outright towards Ukraine, and the massive amount of offensive weapons they are encircling the Ukraine with. The later is there for the world to see - every private satellite images company has released the same images.
    Last edited by Muse; 07-02-2022 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawz View Post
    Well said FM.

Russia and China are currently the ones looking to invade.

Harping on about what USA have done in the past is true but not what we are looking at right now

Balance looking a bit like a CCP sympathizer
    WOMD

Laos

Cambodia

Chile

Afghanistan

Advanced Member

WOMD

Laos

Cambodia

Chile

Afghanistan
    And what has that got to do with Ukraine?

Quote Originally Posted by Fiordland Moose View Post
    And what has that got to do with Ukraine?
    I am not in a mind to take in propaganda from a war mongering nation like the US with a gigantic military armaments industry.

That is what it has got to do with Ukraine.
    Last edited by Balance; 07-02-2022 at 03:57 PM.

Advanced Member

I am not in a mind to take in propaganda from a war mongering nation with a gigantic military armaments industry.

That is what it has got to do with Ukraine.
    By all means, dont, and nor should you or anyone.

Fingers crossed Russia doesnt invade, right??
    Just so I can get my barring here - if in the unfortunate situation Russia chose to invade the Ukraine - would that A) be justified and B) also be America’s fault?

Guru

The french president will pop over to chat to Valery Gergiev and ask if he going to conduct the fire bird for the paris opera and have a cup of tea with the big man in Moscow. Asking if Valery is allowed out in 2022 to fill full his obligations to the world of classical music...

Big meeting coming up that for sure...

Getting back to normal in St Petersburg is at stake..

Quote Originally Posted by Fiordland Moose View Post
    By all means, dont, and nor should you or anyone.

Fingers crossed Russia doesnt invade, right??
    Just so I can get my barring here - if in the unfortunate situation Russia chose to invade the Ukraine - would that A) be justified and B) also be America’s fault?
    Then Russia stands condemned and will suffer the consequences.

Note that the Ukrainian President & government are of the view that Russia will not invade.