sharetrader
Page 87 of 479 FirstFirst ... 377783848586878889909197137187 ... LastLast

To Russians and a lot of eastern European's they do

Advanced Member

Biden (Guardian)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/feb/18/joe-biden-russia-ukraine-vladimir-putin

Note the metadata is 2 days old already...
    Last edited by Davexl; 19-02-2022 at 01:48 PM.
    All science is either Physics or stamp collecting - Ernest Rutherford

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Panda-NZ- View Post
    Russians didn't elect putin so his view means nothing.
    The current Ukrainian Government weren't elected either. Do their views mean nothing then?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Fiordland Moose View Post
    Wouldn't it be great if ALL countries just simply did not invade others? China should stay out of Taiwan, Russia should stay out of the Ukraine and eastern Europe, America should stop doing every 20 year invasions of Iraq and the middle east, and so on. In a discussion around the risk of another russian invasion breathlessly harping on about America's litany of shortcomings is deflection and whataboutism . A spade is a spade.
    I think there is more people on this thread who breathlessly harp on about Russia's shortcomings without reflecting on America's. What is clear that neither the US or Russia care about the people of Ukraine. They both are playing geo-political games. That is why defaulting to one side or the other and refusing to accept that the situation is very complex and both sides have legitimate concerns, is naive and politically gullible.

Obvious to most people that Putin doesn't care about the people of Ukraine or Russia,unfortunately the Russian people can't express their opinion.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by beetills View Post
    Obvious to most people that Putin doesn't care about the people of Ukraine or Russia,unfortunately the Russian people can't express their opinion.
    Well, yes, but you still don't add the obvious adjunct that Biden doesn't care about the people of Ukraine either. And when the US military want a war, it doesn't really matter what people in the west say either - plenty of examples of that too. Our media is too poor to be able to question anything that comes from US led media outlets, so it is up to us as individuals to at least have a questioning mind about the main stream media narrative. Unfortunately too many people just jump on the peace-through-war misinformation that is fed to them.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by LoungeLizzard View Post
    I think there is more people on this thread who breathlessly harp on about Russia's shortcomings without reflecting on America's. What is clear that neither the US or Russia care about the people of Ukraine. They both are playing geo-political games. That is why defaulting to one side or the other and refusing to accept that the situation is very complex and both sides have legitimate concerns, is naive and politically gullible.
    I happened to be in America in 2003 just before the USA invaded Iraq and went to several protests against the war, including one where I got tear gassed (I remember reading at the time that tear gas was only deployed at 3 protests in the country - how lucky I was to be at one of them).

I was against the United States invading Iraq. If Russia invades the Ukraine, I'll be against that one too.

That logic makes sense to me. and I would have thought all those who are aghast at America's invasions would be aghast at a Russian invasion of Ukraine, too.

Anyway, this whole chain is getting massively off track. Being aware of developments and discussing the impact of geopolitical tensions on the equity markets is the point. But perhaps an off market forum would be better suited for the invariable who is to blame, the frothy anti americanism/russianism, the complex history involved, etc.
    Last edited by Muse; 19-02-2022 at 03:26 PM.

To True should not be on N Z X not a lot of relevance .

Quote Originally Posted by LoungeLizzard View Post
    The current Ukrainian Government weren't elected either. Do their views mean nothing then?
    What was this election all about then?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019...ntial_election

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mfd View Post
    What was this election all about then?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019...ntial_election
    That was after a sitting Government had been removed by force from office. Holding a new election when you've effectively destroyed the democratic process isn't really on, is it?