sharetrader
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    On another note, why do we continually worry that our suicide stats are amoung some of the worst in the world? Surely we should be celebrating these things. Those people taking their lives obviously wanted to die as they are in unbearable pain/mental pain and as a kind caring society who am I to try to stop their wishes to end their suffering.
    Most of those that take their lives are likely depressed .
    My father in law suffered from depression and had several serious attempts to take his life without telling his loving wife(one resulted in serious electrical burns requiring skin grafts).
    It was not until he saw a good psychiatrist who put him on lithium that his mood stabilised and he lived happily another 40 years in a loving relationship .They both died recently in their ninetys-under hospice palliative care-peacefully in their own beds a few months apart .

As a basic requirement this Bill should require expert comprehensive assessment by appropriately trained experts .

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    Most of those that take their lives are likely depressed .
    My father in law suffered from depression and had several serious attempts to take his life without telling his loving wife(one resulted in serious electrical burns requiring skin grafts).
    It was not until he saw a good psychiatrist who put him on lithium that his mood stabilised and he lived happily another 40 years in a loving relationship .They both died recently in their ninetys-under hospice palliative care-peacefully in their own beds a few months apart .

As a basic requirement this Bill should require expert comprehensive assessment by appropriately trained experts .
    Youth suicide is a different topic but Mental health study on young people shows they don't feel heard. So I ask those here if someone you know wanted assisted dying would you be able to listen to what they wanted and support them without offering advice. You donít have to agree with the person to listen to them, but you do have to understand how they are feeling. Could you be kind and accepting even though you have different views?

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/...n-t-feel-heard
    A new study is shedding light on the state of mental health and wellbeing among New Zealand youth - which is continuing to deteriorate.
    "Important factors are increased social media, increased loneliness, the impact of poverty, discrimination, or harmful environments, social pressures and the impact of serious worries about the future - from climate change to jobs and housing security."
    The survey also looked at suicide attempts among this age group and found that attempts had increased, particularly for males.
    Around one-fifth of students reported that they had difficulty getting help for feeling bad or having a hard time in the past year.
    Students reported that adults listening to young people and involving them in decisions would make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    You are one seriously disturbed individual.
    Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    It bothers me greatly that when we as humans donít understand someone elseís feelings/thoughts on a controversial subject such as this, we make the assumption that are suffering from mental illness.
    Because I state an opinion that you do not agree with does not make me a seriously disturbed individual. Letís keep the discussion on why this is a bad idea in your opinion, rather than personal attacks.

Was your post directed at me or blackcap (or both)?

Quote Originally Posted by moka View Post
    Because I state an opinion that you do not agree with does not make me a seriously disturbed individual. Let’s keep the discussion on why this is a bad idea in your opinion, rather than personal attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    Was your post directed at me or blackcap (or both)?
    It was directed at Blackcap. I agree with your post, ďthat when we as humans donít understand someone elseís feelings/thoughts on a controversial subject such as this, we make the assumption that are suffering from mental illnessĒ and Blackcap just demonstrated how true it is by calling me seriously disturbed.

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    I think you would find the psychiatry profession's view would align with mine in this respect. I don't think there is anything controversial in stating that it is not normal for a mentally healthy person to want to be killed.
    I think the word "normal" is just as much of a problem as the "mentally healthy" label

If you voted no to the End of Life Choice Act and if you donít want to pay more tax, youíd better start honing your baking skills to help load up the cake stall outside your local hospice to pay for your palliative care.

Every year, the government allocates $78 million to palliative care; costs are in the region of $155m per year. So that's $77m that must be found every year. And that means op shops, cake stalls and local fundraisers.
    The chair of the Palliative Care Nurses New Zealand, Dr Aileen Collier, who has real concerns about the ability of hospices around the country to offer the dignified, pain-free death that opponents to the End of Life Choice Act say can be offered to the terminally ill.
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/politics/kerre-mcivor-a-week-to-go-and-im-still-undecided/MQQXRXBZ6ENSCGUDZ5WW7Y6M3Y/

Advanced Member

I think you have taken the wrong message-A fully-funded bureaucracy will cost .
    Charity part -funding for palliative care gives a lot of older people purpose and satisfaction.
    I cannot see a charity being opened for Euthanasia.
    Maybe the Yes voters could start one !
    Dr Collier finds it extraordinary that the sector has to scratch around, in effect looking for coins down the back of the couch, to help people live their very best lives until they die. If the End of Life Choice Bill comes into effect, she says, there'll be a fully funded bureaucracy and administration that will exist solely to help people die. She says there aren't enough nurses in the aged-care sector, there aren't enough resources – and with New Zealand's death rate set to climb by 50 per cent as the population ages, she says hospices and hospital simply aren't equipped to cope.

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by moka View Post
    If you voted no to the End of Life Choice Act and if you donít want to pay more tax, youíd better start honing your baking skills to help load up the cake stall outside your local hospice to pay for your palliative care.

Every year, the government allocates $78 million to palliative care; costs are in the region of $155m per year. So that's $77m that must be found every year. And that means op shops, cake stalls and local fundraisers.
    The chair of the Palliative Care Nurses New Zealand, Dr Aileen Collier, who has real concerns about the ability of hospices around the country to offer the dignified, pain-free death that opponents to the End of Life Choice Act say can be offered to the terminally ill.
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/politics/kerre-mcivor-a-week-to-go-and-im-still-undecided/MQQXRXBZ6ENSCGUDZ5WW7Y6M3Y/
    Just thought I would check in on the thread as the results are out today, sounds like the aye's have it.

Not sure what your argument is there Moka but if I understand you correctly, I should thank you for your "yes" vote as the larger number of earlier deaths will save money on palliative care?

Very humane and compassionate with the added bonus of saving money.