sharetrader

Hybrid View

Default SNOW - Snowflake

Has anyone else been following this IPO?

I work in the data and analytics industry, so I've been watching the company since around 2014. Was considering getting in at their original quoted price range of $70-$80, but seeing their price rocket to $319 on day 1 has me holding back in the hope that it cools down over the next few weeks/months.

From a technology perspective, they're an exciting proposition and are paving the way for en-mass Data Warehouse migrations to the cloud - the flexibility Snowflake provides in terms of cloud providers is not currently matched by any similar offering that I am aware of. Enterprises I'm working with in NZ are either already in the process of moving to Snowflake, or see them as the only viable option for future migrations.

I will watch, wait, and continue my Snowflake training...

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by imarktu View Post
    Has anyone else been following this IPO?

I work in the data and analytics industry, so I've been watching the company since around 2014. Was considering getting in at their original quoted price range of $70-$80, but seeing their price rocket to $319 on day 1 has me holding back in the hope that it cools down over the next few weeks/months.

From a technology perspective, they're an exciting proposition and are paving the way for en-mass Data Warehouse migrations to the cloud - the flexibility Snowflake provides in terms of cloud providers is not currently matched by any similar offering that I am aware of. Enterprises I'm working with in NZ are either already in the process of moving to Snowflake, or see them as the only viable option for future migrations.

I will watch, wait, and continue my Snowflake training...
    Was thinking of it myself but need to know a few things.

1/ What is its competition.
    2/Does it have a moat.
    3/How secure are its very important employees .
    4/What is its customer base.
    4/What are its present financials.
    5/What is it using the IPO funding money on .

Plenty of other questions but that will do for now.

Quote Originally Posted by whatsup View Post

2/Does it have a moat.

Quote Originally Posted by whatsup View Post

2/Does it have a moat.

I can provide a bit of technical insight on a couple of those.

1/ Main players are probably. Amazon & Microsoft. Both offer cloud-based Data Warehouse solutions (Amazon Redshift and Microsoft Azure Synapse). That said, you're then locked in to their respective cloud platforms & architecture.
    Other players are SAP, Oracle & IBM. An enterprise would likely only consider SAP if they're already heavily invested in their ecosystem, and I don't know enough about Oracle & IBM's offerings to comment too much, though likely a similar story to SAP.

2/ Despite the above, yes. Snowflake offers unmatched flexibility in terms of Cloud providers (AWS, Azure and/or GCP) and rapid scalability, which keeps costs down. IBM DB2 Warehouse does allow deployment on either IBM Cloud or AWS, but I don't know too much about the scalability of that platform.

3/ Unsure.

4/ Apple, Nike, Tableau, Adobe, a few thousand others.

5/ https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/d...owflakes-1.htm

6/ Unsure.

From a Data Warehouse ETL development perspective, there's a scramble to provide native Snowflake support that doesn't appear to exist for IBM, Oracle or SAP's Cloud Data Warehouse offerings. Alteryx, WhereScape RED and Matillion all now support Snowflake out of the box - this will only drive adoption.

Feel free to flick any further tech-related questions my way and I'll do my best to answer.

Guru

I like the company, its product, management and investor angles but not its current S P , where to enter is the biggee for me.

I'm in the same boat, so will wait to see if there's a dip closer to the revised $100-$120 price that was quoted before listing.
    From a pure data and analytics nerd perspective - the tool is slick, easy to use and packed with features. This will be the #1 cloud data warehouse solution for years to come.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by imarktu View Post
    I'm in the same boat, so will wait to see if there's a dip closer to the revised $100-$120 price that was quoted before listing.
    From a pure data and analytics nerd perspective - the tool is slick, easy to use and packed with features. This will be the #1 cloud data warehouse solution for years to come.
    Agree, Buffet is no fool .

revenue of $242 million for the six months through July 31, up 133% from the comparable year-earlier period, following 174% growth in the January 2020 fiscal year. Loss of $71 million;

At the current share price, it is valued at $75billion - that’s right, $75 billion.

So, what’s the entry price? In this current rally of tech stocks, there is no right answer. You buy and hold for several years (or) put a stop loss and trade it a few times.

Guru

For me its $160- $185 !!!