sharetrader

Thread: Dix Premiers

Default Dix Premiers

Hello all - small time investor here:

After much deliberation in my non-index/fun NZX investment account I have completed my initial investment in my top NZX 10 share portfolio with approximate % and one line investment thesis

MCK 15% - Deep value discount to hard assets
    PEB 15% - Proven valuable IP - a possible 5X
    PLX 15% - Mobile marketing macro trend alignment & product works - a possible 5X
    ATM 9% - Outstanding ROE & rev growth at a not unreasonable price
    EBO 9% - Bolt on acquisition execution track record
    MPG 8% - Est forward PE of 3
    TWR 8% - Oversold on prior bad years, Digitization to drive value, EQC settlement discounted
    GXH 7% - Not just a pharmacy, good positions across sector, likely 8% yield soon
    HLG 7% - Best retailer on NZX, little debt, divis flowing
    HGH 7% - Always wanted to own a bank! 8% yield

I'm hoping for 10-20% pa+ from this bunch for a few years.

Whats your 10 share NZX portfolio and why?
    Last edited by Traderx; 23-09-2020 at 02:12 PM.

Outside thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Traderx View Post
    Hello all - small time investor here: After much deliberation in my non-index/fun NZX investment account I have completed my initial investment in my top NZX 10 share portfolio with approximate % and one line investment thesis

MCK 15% - Deep value discount to hard assets
    PEB 15% - Proven valuable IP - a possible 5X
    PLX 15% - Mobile marketing macro trend alignment & product works - a possible 5X
    ATM 9% - Outstanding ROE & rev growth at a not unreasonable price
    EBO 9% - Bolt on acquisition execution track record
    MPG 8% - Est forward PE of 3
    TWR 8% - Oversold on prior bad years, Digitization to drive value, EQC settlement discounted
    GXH 7% - Not just a pharmacy, good positions across sector, likely 8% yield soon
    HLG 7% - Best retailer on NZX, little debt, divis flowing
    HGH 7% - Always wanted to own a bank! 8% yield

I'm hoping for 10-20% pa+ from this bunch for a few years.

Whats your 10 share NZX portfolio and why?
    Thanks for sharing your portfolio thoughts. IMHO moving to managing your own portfolio is a very sound move. I did the same about 6 yrs ago and have never looked back.

My only other thought is that you are possibly over diversified. For many years my portfolio was only 4 - 5 companies. I found that much easier to watch and to manage. I made a rule that if I was adding a company, I had to drop one.

These days my portfolio has now grown to 8 companies of which 2 companies account for 68%. The remainder are stakes in speculative companies. These spec companies currently show 18% to 30% capital gains and when/if they improve their gains to (say) over 60% I expect to add more using DCA to maintain a healthy buffer. Hopefully one of these is the next ATM!!

I'm a bit shy about revealing what companies I'm invested in, but those who know me may realise my biggest hold (and biggest gainer) is ATM. The second is PLX. Note the ATM 'unrealised gain' of over 8,000% is conservative as I've maintained them in my portfolio at an average cost of 21c whereas in reality my remaining shares are well and truly 'free-hold'.

Here's how such a portfolio looks currently.

Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 10.40.14 AM.png

Good luck with your investing. I hope you do well.

Investor

Quote Originally Posted by Left field View Post
    Thanks for sharing your portfolio thoughts. IMHO moving to managing your own portfolio is a very sound move. I did the same about 6 yrs ago and have never looked back.

My only other thought is that you are possibly over diversified. For many years my portfolio was only 4 - 5 companies. I found that much easier to watch and to manage. I made a rule that if I was adding a company, I had to drop one.

These days my portfolio has now grown to 8 companies of which 2 companies account for 68%. The remainder are stakes in speculative companies. These spec companies currently show 18% to 30% capital gains and when/if they improve their gains to (say) over 60% I expect to add more using DCA to maintain a healthy buffer. Hopefully one of these is the next ATM!!

I'm a bit shy about revealing what companies I'm invested in, but those who know me may realise my biggest hold (and biggest gainer) is ATM. The second is PLX. Note the ATM 'unrealised gain' of over 8,000% is conservative as I've maintained them in my portfolio at an average cost of 21c whereas in reality my remaining shares are well and truly 'free-hold'.

Here's how such a portfolio looks currently.

Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 10.40.14 AM.png

Good luck with your investing. I hope you do well.
    Guess the two biggest gains on your portfolio may refer to ATM and PLX.

I'm bit overdiversified too now, with just 4 to 5 stocks few years back to current 20 stocks spread across various sectors. There are couple of undeforming ones, which is a constant remainder about the risks associated with stock market investing.

Outside thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by sb9 View Post
    Guess the two biggest gains on your portfolio may refer to ATM and PLX.

I'm bit overdiversified too now, with just 4 to 5 stocks few years back to current 20 stocks spread across various sectors. There are couple of undeforming ones, which is a constant remainder about the risks associated with stock market investing.
    You're on to it. I suspect we also have IKE in common too..... Crikey we'll have to form a club!

Meant to say my portfolio is ever-changing. Always being reviewed and there are many shares that I've held and now long gone.....THL, TIL, PPH etc. They did well for me..... for a time.

Banned

I only hold 3 stocks in my portfolio, those being ATM/HLG and PAZ, I don't see any need for any more at this point.

Sold all shares before last Xmas, current portfolio built up from 23/03 as follows:
    Power companys: CEN,GNE,MCY,MEL
    Telecommunications: SPK
    Ports:AIA, NPH
    Agriculture: SCL, SKL, ATM
    Retirement Villages: OCA, ARV
    Last edited by Master98; 12-10-2020 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Re-balance portfolio