sharetrader
Page 213 of 1431 FirstFirst ... 1131632032092102112122132142152162172232633137131213 ... LastLast
Results 2,121 to 2,130 of 14308
    Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
    I thought about that (National's policy of reversing Labour's policies) & chose the word 'constructively' on purpose.

1) we had a crisis back when National were the govt, so reversing to the status quo doesn't seem very helpful.

and 2) we also had a shocking crisis with preventable 3rd world level diseases killing more children than car crashes & drownings & hospitalising 30,000 children a year from living in damp cold housing. Reversing the Healthy Homes Standard doesn't seem right to me.
    1. Have you looked at the numbers before and after September 2017? How much of the publicity around earlier numbers was largely political? Labour had housing as the keynote policy in 2017.... How much have policies and ideologies since then contributed to the skyrocketing numbers on several housing fronts, even while interest rates were seriously low.

2. I have a real problem blaming landlords for 'cold, damp' housing. There is NZ research indicating that overcrowding is a big reason for illness and its transmission in households. Never hear about that though, despite census data showing that Auckland, Northland and BoP have the most overcrowding. Meanwhile why are places cold and damp? Cold because occupiers can't afford the power bill? Damp because of lack of ventilation, overcrowding or any of the long list of tenant responsibilities to remediate damp - see the Tenancy Services website. All the above - up to the tenants or owner occupies, or as the Finance Minister has said they can 'look elsewhere'.

Most of that is recent policy and along with other changes has driven the current numbers, none of which are good and most getting worse.

Advanced Member

Now this was a waste of taxpayers money & yet got little coverage in the main media!

$38 million to an overseas company to produce a completely new Covid Vaccination Register, when NZ already has the 'National Vaccination Register'.

And when you consider a new seperate register means a new set of protocols for medical professionals to get to grips with, overcomplicating things, when a simple straightforward National Vaccination Register already exists which everyone is already familiar with, you have to question the quality of decision making.

https://www.newsroom.co.nz/orion-dem...ccine-register

Guru

Now this was a waste of taxpayers money & yet got little coverage in the main media!

$38 million to an overseas company to produce a completely new Covid Vaccination Register, when NZ already has the 'National Vaccination Register'.

And when you consider a new seperate register means a new set of protocols for medical professionals to get to grips with, overcomplicating things, when a simple straightforward National Vaccination Register already exists which everyone is already familiar with, you have to question the quality of decision making.

I remember quite a few questions being asked about that - especially by Orion as they felt they could have added the required functionality for much less cost.
    Interesting, as far back as July 2020 'experts' were saying that the existing system wouldn't cope
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/hea...accine-rollout

Another article from May this year
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/hea...ays-orion-boss

A few more - don't forget that this does the booking also
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...P2X6QHICTI5NA/
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...LW27LZLZEKKME/
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...NCSMK3JQWYEKQ/

Dilettante

And when you get the belated jab you get a driver's licence sized hanwritten piece of paper with your name and date of vaccinataion. No reference to passport or your health number or anything else. SIGH !!

A John Smith would struggle to prove it was actually him (sorry, they) that had the jab.
    Last edited by iceman; 06-08-2021 at 07:26 AM.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    And when you get the belated jab you get a driver's licenced size hanwritten piece of paper with your name and date of vaccinataion. No reference to passport or your health number or anything else. SIGH !!

A John Smith would struggle to prove it was actually him (sorry, they) that had the jab.

Agreed, a growing number of countries now have a feature on a HealthHub mobile app which people can use to access their official vaccination record (& any Covid test results), and a tracer QR code which can be used when checking in to a hotel or flight or restaurant etc to show the person has been fully vaccinated.

Those little bits of paper we're given can easily be lost or become illegible & will hardly pass the grade when travelling overseas through different countries.
    And what happens when people have lost them, thousands of new ones being written ?
    Countries are starting to allow people in who have been fully vaccinated & we're going to need something more official & difficult to forge than a little handwritten card.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...hub-mobile-app

Guru

Agreed, a growing number of countries now have a feature on a HealthHub mobile app which people can use to access their official vaccination record (& any Covid test results), and a tracer QR code which can be used when checking in to a hotel or flight or restaurant etc to show the person has been fully vaccinated.

Those little bits of paper we're given can easily be lost or become illegible & will hardly pass the grade when travelling overseas through different countries.
    And what happens when people have lost them, thousands of new ones being written ?
    Countries are starting to allow people in who have been fully vaccinated & we're going to need something more official & difficult to forge than a little handwritten card.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...hub-mobile-app
    There is already talk about the need for booster shots and those with weak immune systems may need even more frequent boosters. So a vaccination card would need to be chipped and smart?

I think it would be a good idea to have a smart health card, with allergies printed on it, for everyone so that if in an accident, up to date information could be accessed quickly.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 06-08-2021 at 08:12 AM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    And when you get the belated jab you get a driver's licence sized hanwritten piece of paper with your name and date of vaccinataion. No reference to passport or your health number or anything else. SIGH !!

Mine has my NHI number on it?
    Whatever we do for a vaccine passport it has to be internationally recognised.
    I believe the IATA is well across this, and we are keeping abreast.
    No point is spending money on something that won't be accepted anywhere else.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    There is already talk about the need for booster shots and those with weak immune systems may need even more frequent boosters. So a vaccination card would need to be chipped and smart?

I think it would be a good idea to have a smart health card, with allergies printed on it, for everyone so that if in an accident, up to date information could be accessed quickly.
    There's a job for you this afternoon then. Design a strap, much like a watch, that can be worn on the wrist with a qr code - which could access all sorts of things like driver's license, my health or just NHI number, passport no.etc. Save carrying seven zillion silly plastic cards. Of course you can load all that on your phone, as I have; but one on the wrist would be better if you happen to be spread all over the tarseal under someone's Tesla you didn't hear coming. Alternatively get your qr code tattoed on your arm. That suggestion always gets the privacy paranoid mob excited - so that's the one I would go for.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    Mine has my NHI number on it?
    Whatever we do for a vaccine passport it has to be internationally recognised.
    I believe the IATA is well across this, and we are keeping abreast.
    No point is spending money on something that won't be accepted anywhere else.
    I think we need something for local use as well. I had my first jab yesterday. It does not have my full name - just first name and surname. it does not have either my DoB or NHI number. It does have the vaccine batch number and where and when administered & next appointment time. I assumed it was an appointment reminder card and that I would be getting something more detailed and computer generated after the second shot - Presumably not though.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 06-08-2021 at 09:14 AM.

Guru

There is the faciltiy to apply for an official Health Department letter verifying you have been vaccinated. There was information on this in the centre I had my first jab.