sharetrader
Page 51 of 1429 FirstFirst ... 41474849505152535455611011515511051 ... LastLast
    Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    And my post was in answer to the idea from Balance that we should do as Singapore do. It was then pointed out that they use their Sovereign fund and that National (Muldoon) scrapped ours way back.
    Context is everything!

Of course, Key kept saying that there wasn't a housing problem so wouldn't do anything to help.
    IIRC Mr Key called it a housing challenge. And personally I think that was about right. National seems to have changed their tune a bit about that recently. So if it was a crisis then what is it now?

You could say National sold thousands of social houses, but suggest you don't.

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-...e-price-growth

Oh, so it's now a decade old problem according to the one who promised to fix the housing problem with Kiwibuild.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/polit...-20-times.html

Never mind the fact that she and her team of incompetents have turned a crisis into a full blown disaster.

Guru

And what part would you say the Reserve Bank has played in the full blown disaster? They are the ones pouring petrol on the fire via ultra-low interest rates and money printing.

Quote Originally Posted by Logen Ninefingers View Post
    And what part would you say the Reserve Bank has played in the full blown disaster? They are the ones pouring petrol on the fire via ultra-low interest rates and money printing.
    It’s a global thing and as I have written before, the alternative is a full blown global depression.

You choose.

Guru

When most of the ‘funding for lending’ billions are going straight into the property ‘market’ rather than productive businesses, are you saying that we need the ‘wealth effect’ of an ultra-hot housing market to stave off recession?

And if you are, why are you criticising the government for a situation you believe is necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by Logen Ninefingers View Post
    When most of the ‘funding for lending’ billions are going straight into the property ‘market’ rather than productive businesses, are you saying that we need the ‘wealth effect’ of an ultra-hot housing market to stave off recession?

And if you are, why are you criticising the government for a situation you believe is necessary?
    Because this Labour government led by Cynical Cindy has not come up with a single effective policy & a strategy to increase the supply of affordable homes - after pledging to do so.

And still has not got a clue what to do!

I have mentioned the Singapore housing model - what model has Cindy come up with?
    Last edited by Balance; 21-01-2021 at 09:40 PM.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    .... I have mentioned the Singapore housing model - what model has Cindy come up with?
    Cover of Vogue, silly.

Guru

I have mentioned the Singapore housing model - what model has Cindy come up with?
    Unfortunately they'd have to come up with something that would work - you just have to have an opinion.

Guru

Never mind the fact that she and her team of incompetents have turned a crisis into a full blown disaster.
    What I don't understand is that in the 2 months Sep/Oct last year 1000 families were added - where did they live before? Did we have 1000 families come in from overseas who weren't living here before and take their houses?
    The problem needs more analysis to understand what is happening.

By the way - how did the Govt turn it into a disaster if they did nothing? National did nothing.
    Aren't 'market forces' supposed to solve everything - keep the Govt out of it?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    What I don't understand is that in the 2 months Sep/Oct last year 1000 families were added - where did they live before? Did we have 1000 families come in from overseas who weren't living here before and take their houses?
    The problem needs more analysis to understand what is happening.

By the way - how did the Govt turn it into a disaster if they did nothing? National did nothing.
    Aren't 'market forces' supposed to solve everything - keep the Govt out of it?
    And you've gone full circle back to Logen's argument. Market forces are being disrupted by Reserve Bank policy and Government Rent Subsidies.