sharetrader
Page 1 of 430 123451151101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 4296
  1. #1
    FEAR n GREED JBmurc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Central Otago
    Posts
    7,437

    Question Labour govt 2020-23

    Time for a title change ..NZF is gone never to be seen from again as I'm sure winnie will retire....

    What will we see Jacinda and team bring over the next 3yrs ??

    They really have full control of NZ >>what will they deliver .... been heaps of BIG Talking of late along with previous years form the RED team

    No more blaming the COL for not moving projects forward...

    ... I feel its like meeting a new Golf player at the pub etc talk up his awesome transformable game over many weeks but never actually seeing him play.... well is time to TEE off >>>
    "Don't believe a f'ing thing your government tells you."George Carlin
    ďThe further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.ĒGeorge Orwell

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    659

    Default

    https://milfordasset.com/insights/market-takes-election-in-its-stride-for-now

    Market takes election in its stride Ė for now
    The performance of the NZ50 gross index is worth noting in this context. It rose 53 percent in the three-year term of the prior Labour-led coalition against a 36 percent rise for the S&P500 index over the same time-period. Share market performance is not driven by government policy; it reflects a melting pot of influences including interest rates, economic performance, individual company performance and market dynamics. But it is a neat illustration that a left-of-centre New Zealand government hasnít disrupted market performance, particularly given the US has been governed by a business-friendly President who has tried to take the credit for the performance of his countryís share market.

  3. #3
    Legend peat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Whanganui, New Zealand.
    Posts
    6,232

    Default

    It is definitely time
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

  4. #4
    Dilettante
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Down & out
    Posts
    4,182

    Default

    They have made loud noises on reducing inequality in NZ but achieved nothing so far. I suggest income splitting for tax purposes of families with dependent children would be a great start and give many young families a helping hand by effectively reducing the tax they pay, rather than all the handouts.

  5. #5
    Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sth Island. New Zealand.
    Posts
    5,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    They have made loud noises on reducing inequality in NZ but achieved nothing so far. I suggest income splitting for tax purposes of families with dependent children would be a great start and give many young families a helping hand by effectively reducing the tax they pay, rather than all the handouts.
    A flat tax would achieve the same as income splitting, and more.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    1,299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    A flat tax would achieve the same as income splitting, and more.
    Labour aren't likely to support that though, IMO. They may consider income splitting, but I think they'd probably just increase the eligibility or value of WFF payments. Perhaps they could even come up with another benefit type.

  7. #7
    Aspiring to be an Awesome Bear
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    In the Woods
    Posts
    1,359

    Default

    Sooo any thoughts on who will be Deputy PM...? And what about Health Minister....surely it wont be David Clarke?!

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    659

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RupertBear View Post
    Sooo any thoughts on who will be Deputy PM...? And what about Health Minister....surely it wont be David Clarke?!
    Good question - deputy PM Grant Robertson?

    Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says Labour's deputy PM will be the deputy leader - but is that Kelvin Davis?
    This morning Ardern said she had no intention in moving Davis from the deputy leadership but ultimately that would be a caucus decision.
    Going into caucus this morning, Davis told reporters that he had had discussions with Ardern but would not reveal any details.
    Asked if he was up against Grant Robertson for the job, he said: "I'm not up against anybody."

    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/electi...X36DBTGQ4WASM/

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    659

    Default Ardern and Transformation

    Adern said a transformational government was one that brought about lasting changes rather than one that implemented radical changes.

    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/election-2020-prime-minister-jacinda-ardern-says-labours-deputy-pm-will-be-the-deputy-leader-but-is-that-kelvin-davis/ODEMJYIKQJWF4X36DBTGQ4WASM/

    https://theconversation.com/nz-election-2020-jacinda-ardern-promised-transformation-instead-the-times-transformed-her-142900

    The rhetoric of transformation has been replaced by the language of recovery.

    Yet transformation is not far off the mark, especially where Ardern herself is concerned. Three years ago she was the newly minted leader of her party and something of a political curiosity. Many doubted she had the ability to save her party from an electoral thrashing, let alone become prime minister.
    Since then, she has become a mother, led the country through a series of crises, and made more hard calls and tough decisions than any New Zealand prime minister in recent memory. She has become a seasoned leader ó and one of the most popular prime ministers in the nationís history.

    Pragmatism over ideology
    Ardernís personal trajectory mirrors ó and to some degree has driven ó a shift in the tone of New Zealand politics. Transformation is probably too strong a word for it, but something is happening and it is reflected in Ardernís approach to leadership.

    The prime minister appeals less to conviction than to disposition. Her approach resonates with people for whom politics is fundamentally relational rather than ideological.
    It is Ardernís poise under pressure, calmness and ability not to rise to anything faintly resembling bait that has deeply resonated.

    Ardern is no ideologue. She gives people who donít agree with her partyís policies permission to vote for her. Itís the kind of leadership that can change what counts as political common sense, and it appeals to a lot of people in times of stress and uncertainty.

  10. #10
    Legend Balance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    15,824

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moka View Post
    Adern said a transformational government was one that brought about lasting changes rather than one that implemented radical changes.

    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/election-2020-prime-minister-jacinda-ardern-says-labours-deputy-pm-will-be-the-deputy-leader-but-is-that-kelvin-davis/ODEMJYIKQJWF4X36DBTGQ4WASM/

    https://theconversation.com/nz-election-2020-jacinda-ardern-promised-transformation-instead-the-times-transformed-her-142900

    The rhetoric of transformation has been replaced by the language of recovery.

    Yet transformation is not far off the mark, especially where Ardern herself is concerned. Three years ago she was the newly minted leader of her party and something of a political curiosity. Many doubted she had the ability to save her party from an electoral thrashing, let alone become prime minister.
    Since then, she has become a mother, led the country through a series of crises, and made more hard calls and tough decisions than any New Zealand prime minister in recent memory. She has become a seasoned leader ó and one of the most popular prime ministers in the nationís history.

    Pragmatism over ideology
    Ardernís personal trajectory mirrors ó and to some degree has driven ó a shift in the tone of New Zealand politics. Transformation is probably too strong a word for it, but something is happening and it is reflected in Ardernís approach to leadership.

    The prime minister appeals less to conviction than to disposition. Her approach resonates with people for whom politics is fundamentally relational rather than ideological.
    It is Ardernís poise under pressure, calmness and ability not to rise to anything faintly resembling bait that has deeply resonated.

    Ardern is no ideologue. She gives people who donít agree with her partyís policies permission to vote for her. Itís the kind of leadership that can change what counts as political common sense, and it appeals to a lot of people in times of stress and uncertainty.
    Yet another populist in other words - all talk and no substance & no delivery.

    Enjoy!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •