sharetrader
Page 102 of 1432 FirstFirst ... 2529298991001011021031041051061121522026021102 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 14319
    Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Send in the ambo, I love a good troth pledging! I have also seen a few weddings on Coronation Street. They usually end horribly for the “happy” couple. So Jacinda-phobes would be in for a treat if it turns out to be a Coronation Street styled affair.
    Nothing less interesting than a wedding where you don't personally know the characters, except for a pretend one with a couple of actors in a mock-up. Weddings are bad enough when you do know them and it's for real.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Nothing less interesting than a wedding where you don't personally know the characters, except for a pretend one with a couple of actors in a mock-up. Weddings are bad enough when you do know them and it's for real.
    Most of the ones I have been to have been great parties. Although there was one where the padre delivered a very long sermon and then a boring speech at the breakfast.

Legend

Most of the ones I have been to have been great parties. Although there was one where the padre delivered a very long sermon and then a boring speech at the breakfast.
    Surely you feel some degree of sympathy for the victims!

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Munroe View Post
    The recently announced pay freeze for civil servants by the Labour Government would have been described by the fictional Sir Humphrey Appleby as a courageous decision(1).

I was employed(2) by a company which implemented a pay freeze for supervisory administrative and technical staff.

The effect was immediate. A significant portion of those staff quit and went to work for competitors. Mostly they were the more effective staff leaving the employer with a higher ratio of dead wood to take up the slack.

They never did it again.

My advice to civil servants whose pay is frozen is to whistle Waltzing Matilda when walking down the office corridor outside the HR department.

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn

(1) Courageous decision, is an idiom used by a civil servant to politely tell a cabinet minister what is proposed is politically dangerous.

(2) Marilyn occupied a position in the company at the "hey you" level and was paid accordingly. Being mean to my pay packet would not have had a meaningful fiscal benefit.
    I work with emergency services. I can tell you they feel very appreciated for all they did during covid lockdowns. Nothing like a paycut to say thank you for your service.
    Last edited by peetter; 10-05-2021 at 08:37 PM.

Chris Trotter disgusted with Cynical Cindy & her team of incompetents :

https://www.interest.co.nz/opinion/1...-new-game-they

What our politicians now appear to be playing is a game called “Holding On To Power At All Costs”.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by peetter View Post
    I work with emergency services. I can tell you they feel very appreciated for all they did during covid lockdowns. Nothing like a paycut to say thank you for your service.
    It does beggar belief. Maybe they are comforted by the average houses going up in value in the year probably by more than many of their annual salaries?

It does beggar belief. Maybe they are comforted by the average houses going up in value in the year probably by more than many of their annual salaries?
    In my opinion Labour wants more people dependable on money redistribution as most are guaranteed Labour voters. They don't really care about people's wellbeing. If they did, they'd address real low poor people problems. Like tax bracket creep. No GST on healthy food. Kainga ora first home grants that have limits under which you can actually find houses.

Meanwhile all of their policies are on getting more tax out of people. More tax on fuel doesn't hurt rich people, it hurts poor the most. Minimum wage raises causing services to become more expensive doesn't hurt rich, it hurts poor most. Taxing interest for property investors doesn't hurt investors, they'll just pass it to renters... Labour was even nice enough to spread it for them accros 4 years so they can increase rent progressively.

I don't understand how anyone can't see this. And how anyone is okay with any governments increasing taxes and coming with new sneaky taxes while they run the most inefficient organization. With all the taxes people are now paying more than 50% of income to the government and it gets worse every year...

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by peetter View Post
    In my opinion Labour wants more people dependable on money redistribution as most are guaranteed Labour voters. They don't really care about people's wellbeing. If they did, they'd address real low poor people problems. Like tax bracket creep. No GST on healthy food. Kainga ora first home grants that have limits under which you can actually find houses.
    Many superannuants vote for national. NZ voters don't want changes to the tax system.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Panda-NZ- View Post
    Many superannuants vote for national. NZ voters don't want changes to the tax system.
    Another ridiculous generalisation. Plenty of NZers would love to see a more progressive tax, and plenty would love to see a flat or flatter tax. I very much doubt there are a large number who are perfectly satisfied; there never will be as long as taxes exist.

Guru

The 10% swing voters who change parties probably don't though.