sharetrader
Page 106 of 1431 FirstFirst ... 656961021031041051061071081091101161562066061106 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,060 of 14308
    Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    Importing low-skill people just makes them cheap - with cheap people, you don't need to increase productivity via mechanisation or similar means (working smarter).
    We do need to import some people, though, as our birth rate is below the replacement (around 1.7 v's 2.1 which would be needed) so our population would reduce (like Japan).
    If you need to import some people you might as well make them smart people.
    Good point. And redirecting taxpayer funding from people power, especially lower skilled immigrants, into mechanisation and similar would actually increase productivity. For example New Zealand has already developed and exported apple packing technology, replacing low waged humans (if they can get them). That company, RoboticsPlus, has other products up and running or in development. ACC has invested in their log scaling technology that will reduce potentially thousands of ACC claims.

In the UK an experimental field of I think maize was developed and harvested completely untouched by human hand. Very expensive. But Moore's Law.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...n-to-australia

Forget about migrants - how about keeping highly skilled NZers in NZ rather than losing them to countries like Oz?

Compare & contrast what Oz is doing with its budget - tax relief & improving competitiveness as its goal - vs the beneficiaries breeding focus of Cindy’s budget to be.
    Last edited by Balance; 16-05-2021 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...n-to-australia

Forget about migrants - how about keeping highly skilled NZers in NZ rather than losing them to countries like Oz?

Compare & contrast what Oz is doing with its budget - tax relief & improving competitiveness as its goal - vs the beneficiaries breeding focus of Cindy’s budget to be.
    The problem i'm seeing with NZ is high net worth individuals with skills do not come to NZ. As I mentioned in another thread, wife's work mate is looking to move back to the US on the basis of tax inefficiencies here. These individuals that move comprise most of their wealth from stock market investments and when they realise they're paying on a paper gain + no ability to defer tax on the gains, why would the skilled want to move to NZ?

This is why we get a high % of migrants in a skill category that are from other (Asian?) countries where their gov'ts don't provide them with any pension or retirement planning.

Keep questioning why 20% of expat Kiwis live abroad?
    Last edited by SBQ; 16-05-2021 at 03:53 PM.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by SBQ View Post
    The problem i'm seeing with NZ is high net worth individuals with skills do not come to NZ. As I mentioned in another thread, wife's work mate is looking to move back to the US on the basis of tax inefficiencies here. These individuals that move comprise most of their wealth from stock market investments and when they realise they're paying on a paper gain + no ability to defer tax on the gains, why would the skilled want to move to NZ?

This is why we get a high % of migrants in a skill category that are from other (Asian?) countries where their gov'ts don't provide them with any pension or retirement planning.

I don't claim to be a mathematician, but according to my calculations 100% of expats live abroad

Quote Originally Posted by SBQ View Post

Unfortunately, I'm inclined to agree. Why would high net worth individuals come to NZ and reside permanently? We provide a great bolt-hole or a much easier method of emigrating to Australia. What needs to change in this country to attract vast hordes of high skilled individuals? We're busy killing off our major earners, so surely there's a clearly articulated strategy? No, probably not.

Guru

Microsoft data centres moving to NZ.
    Amazon LOTR film production bringing more attention to nz.

We do need to make it easier for tech workers but there was too much low skill immigration.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/rotorua-d...2YKFV5QLXNTZY/

Praised overseas for handling unforeseen crises (ChCh massacre, Covid) but busy at home creating crises (housing, child poverty, gangs, crime, business) which Cindy & her team are incapable of managing.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
    Unfortunately, I'm inclined to agree. Why would high net worth individuals come to NZ and reside permanently? We provide a great bolt-hole or a much easier method of emigrating to Australia. What needs to change in this country to attract vast hordes of high skilled individuals? We're busy killing off our major earners, so surely there's a clearly articulated strategy? No, probably not.
    HM NZG's priorities: 1. Making sure the housing market does not implode 2. Not to introduce a general CGT, which is basically a subset of 1.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 17-05-2021 at 09:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
    I always wondered how it was so easy for migrants between both NZ & Aus can freely move between both countries. No visa requirement!! Coming from Canada, the US treats the skilled Cdn moving to the US no different than any OTHER skilled migrant from another country (and vice versa). When we had that Chch mosque shooting, that question came up again. I'm seeing nothing but baddies moving between both countries. Australia rejects law breaking Kiwis living there and sends them back here. That Tarrent guy exploited NZ's ease for Australians to move over. The real question I ask is who are the people that are really benefiting from the Aus/NZ free migration pact deal? Our skilled doctors and nurses moving to Aus for the better climate and higher pay? What % of Aus are we seeing coming over to NZ? What if we close that deal and go back to having borders ; where would that leave NZ if the Visa process became a requirement no different to how other countries treat migrants?

@ Bjauck :

I agree NZ is in a touch situation where the gov't can't let the housing market collapse not equal the tax playing field.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    HM NZG's priorities: 1. Making sure the housing market does not implode 2. Not to introduce a general CGT, which is basically a subset of 1.
    Yes thats our growth engine(based on increasing debt in housing) ... while Aussies Mining Production exploration + downstream wealth from all the sub sectors that benefit from primary industry wealth is going to continue to increase the wage gap and drag even more young skilled kiwis over the ditch .

.. Our Govt pushing Green NIBMY anti fossil fuels anti mining etc ...

. who the hell is going to be able to buy all these million+ valued NZ properties going forward off their parents GEN ?? what NZ jobs will our kids have to get to afford them once Interest rates return to normal ??? can't all be .. sales RE Agents , bankers , Bureaucrats ...the growing NZ sector is Tertiary!!! so less exports of high value per person lower wages Vs Aus growing wages

Industrial structures
    In the early 2000s New Zealand’s economic structure was similar to that of other developed economies. It had small primary (mainly agricultural) and secondary (manufacturing) industries, which together accounted for about 29% of New Zealand’s gross domestic product (GDP) in 2008, and a much larger tertiary (services) sector which made up the remaining 71%.

Primary industry was dominated by dairy, sheep and beef farming, and also included forestry and fishing.

Secondary industry was unusual compared to other countries because of the large number of businesses processing primary products, such as dairy, meat and other foodstuffs, and wood and paper. Together these accounted for more than 30% of secondary industry in 2008. Machinery and equipment manufacturing made up another 10%, and aluminium and steel enterprises 8%.

Tertiary industry provided the majority of GDP and employment. Finance, insurance, and other business services made up about 15%, and property services another 15%. Transport, communications, retail, building, education and health each contributed between 5% and 10% of total tertiary industry.
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu