sharetrader
Page 1026 of 1432 FirstFirst ... 265269269761016102210231024102510261027102810291030103610761126 ... LastLast
Results 10,251 to 10,260 of 14320
    Legend

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...g-his-messages

Stuart Nash to leave at election, Cabinet secretary reviewing his messages

To borrow the very convenient quote by Mikhail Podolyak:

“The spiders are eating each other in a jar,”

Last edited by nztx; 04-04-2023 at 04:36 AM.

Legend

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/whanganui...DYTWFEL4J6B3Y/

National Party candidate for Whanganui Carl Bates starts petition demanding a greater local voice in UCOL’s future

The start of unravelling of this Govt's "Puke Up" of a shambles that now is the Country's Tertiary Education sector ?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by peetter View Post
    That makes absolutely no difference to what I said, there will not be a single year 10 student that would fail, because they're not able to effectively use the computer.

I find this an interesting insight into your mind and frankly find it racist that you say kids of minority groups from South Auckland are not capable of using digital devices to the point their inability to scroll and click on checkboxes contributes to them failing tests.
    Familiarity with technology is related more to poverty. NZ is an unequal society. Lockdown exposed more starkly the uneven access to computers and tablets. Pupils who have access at home to their own computer and tablet, will obviously likely be more adept at using them. In addition, pupils who arrive at school after having slept in a warm and dry bedroom, and after a hearty and nutritious breakfast, will likely be able to learn more effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Familiarity with technology is related more to poverty. NZ is an unequal society. Lockdown exposed more starkly the uneven access to computers and tablets. Pupils who have access at home to their own computer and tablet, will obviously likely be more adept at using them. In addition, pupils who arrive at school after having slept in a warm and dry bedroom, and after a hearty and nutritious breakfast, will likely be able to learn more effectively.
    I grew up in the same situation, so it really irritates me when people think poor people are dumb to not know how to scroll or check a box to push their virtue signaling. Literally skills you can learn in 5 minutes and any year 10 kid wiill posses them. Having done a fair bit of digital tests, the skills required are so basic, I'm convinced this is not impairing any able minded child in finishing the test. I'd even say let them use paper, because I'm convinced the test would finish with the same result.

If you guys want to feel better about "helping poor minorities", why don't you guys donate couple computers to schools. Surely you can spare couple hundred dollars from your portfolios to purchase some old office computers.

This is a full on case of failing education blaming their failure on something else.
    Last edited by peetter; 04-04-2023 at 07:47 AM.

Guru

I grew up in the same situation, so it really irritates me when people think poor people are dumb to not know how to scroll or check a box to push their virtue signaling. Literally skills you can learn in 5 minutes and any year 10 kid wiill posses them. Having done a fair bit of digital tests, the skills required are so basic, I'm convinced this is not impairing any able minded child in finishing the test. I'd even say let them use paper, because I'm convinced the test would finish with the same result....
    "The Four Yorkshiremen" argument?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEIApUNVBKg

You are right though there many factors, other than access to technology, relating to poverty which could impact scholastic achievement.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 04-04-2023 at 08:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    "The Four Yorkshiremen" argument?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEIApUNVBKg

You are right though there many factors, other than access to technology, relating to poverty which could impact scholastic achievement.
    Good one, never seen this sketch .

Advanced Member

I grew up in the same situation, so it really irritates me when people think poor people are dumb to not know how to scroll or check a box to push their virtue signaling. Literally skills you can learn in 5 minutes and any year 10 kid wiill posses them. Having done a fair bit of digital tests, the skills required are so basic, I'm convinced this is not impairing any able minded child in finishing the test. I'd even say let them use paper, because I'm convinced the test would finish with the same result.

If you guys want to feel better about "helping poor minorities", why don't you guys donate couple computers to schools. Surely you can spare couple hundred dollars from your portfolios to purchase some old office computers.

This is a full on case of failing education blaming their failure on something else.

Peetter, calm down.
    Hurling insults, accusing people of racism & making wild assumptions accusing people of thinking "poor people are dumb" are not on, and what would you know about other posters engagement with the countries education providers.

Admirable you've managed to overcome challenges, but too often people fall into the trap of saying if I can pull myself up then everyone can.
    That's just not reflected in the data we're seeing.

Data collected in recent years show in Decile 1-3 schools, 47% said more than half students lacked a device at home, & 23% said fewer than half had home internet access.

During the pandemic with schools switching to online teaching for extended periods, internet access has been critical.

There's also examples of Secondary school students not asking their schools for Ministry funded devices for a whole range of reasons, including being worried younger siblings would damage the devices with some schools charging a $100 bond, others due to embarrassment for having to ask, while a student on a scholarship to a private school was too worried about how their device would look compared to all the wealthy private school kids having the latest MacBook.

1 in 6 of the countries poorest schools found less than a quarter of the students had access to internet at home.
    Chorus did a survey finding 40% of homes in Muripara don't have access to home internet.
    Grandparents who were looking after school age kids after school saying they don't have either a digital device or internet.
    I could go on, but hope this might modify your thoughts on this issue.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/covid-...5JATBHZMCW2QU/

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/school...EQINUTDH5MQ5M/

Think about this for one minute :

$56m down the drain on the bridge to nowhere.

Say $1,000 per laptop so that’s 56,000 laptops which could have been made available to underprivileged students.

$58.9m down the drain so far on the Auckland light rail to oblivion.

That’s another 58,900 laptops which could make a huge difference (if the Labourite posters are to be believed).

Where is this Labour government’s priority?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
    Peetter, calm down.
    Hurling insults, accusing people of racism & making wild assumptions accusing people of thinking "poor people are dumb" are not on, and what would you know about other posters engagement with the countries education providers.

Admirable you've managed to overcome challenges, but too often people fall into the trap of saying if I can pull myself up then everyone can.
    That's just not reflected in the data we're seeing.

Data collected in recent years show in Decile 1-3 schools, 47% said more than half students lacked a device at home, & 23% said fewer than half had home internet access.

During the pandemic with schools switching to online teaching for extended periods, internet access has been critical.

There's also examples of Secondary school students not asking their schools for Ministry funded devices for a whole range of reasons, including being worried younger siblings would damage the devices with some schools charging a $100 bond, others due to embarrassment for having to ask, while a student on a scholarship to a private school was too worried about how their device would look compared to all the wealthy private school kids having the latest MacBook.

1 in 6 of the countries poorest schools found less than a quarter of the students had access to internet at home.
    Chorus did a survey finding 40% of homes in Muripara don't have access to home internet.
    Grandparents who were looking after school age kids after school saying they don't have either a digital device or internet.
    I could go on, but hope this might modify your thoughts on this issue.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/covid-...5JATBHZMCW2QU/

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/school...EQINUTDH5MQ5M/

Again not a single of those statistics you provided actually mentions year 10 students are unable to effectively use a computer (scrolling and clicking) to the point of causing failures on tests.

And yes, you associating this with minority groups in South Auckland and Northland is racist in nature. If this doesn't indicate you think the kids are literally stupid, I don't know what does.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Skies
    Since the tests are online & often require repeated scrolling up & down from question to answer, students who haven't had access to digital devices, who are suddenly presented with a test on a desktop, PDA or Tablet or iPad, are seriously disadvantaged & their results may not be a true indication of their reading writing or maths level.
    Last edited by peetter; 04-04-2023 at 10:58 AM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    Our PM struggles when asked the most basic question. What is a woman? Says he hadn't come prepared for that question.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/amLibEgaqSs

This is what happens when you give into the lie of gender ideology. He literally doesn't know whether he's Arthur or Martha.

Emperor's New Clothes.
    Here's another question for all those Labourites who ran from answering "What is a woman?". Especially now that our PM doesn't know whether he's Arthur or Martha.

If it is offensive for white folks to put on black face and a woolly wig and ham it up as a black person (and I agree it is), why is it OK, and even to be encouraged, for men to trowel on makeup, over the top wigs and fake breasts and ham it up as women? Even flaunting themselves to little children. Why is that not deemed offensive? As gender appropriation or mocking?
    To put it in simple terms (because I suspect I have to), why is a drag queen OK when black face or golliwogs are not?