sharetrader
    Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Logen Ninefingers View Post
    ‘Former Transport Minister Michael Wood ignored official advice to not toll the new O Mahurangi Penlink road north of Auckland and went ahead with charges for motorists, official documents show.

Wood, who quit as a Cabinet minister last week over further shareholdings that clashed with his portfolios, used his power to set tolls for Penlink against the advice of the Ministry of Transport.

He also dismissed public consultation showing 60 per cent of people were opposed to tolls and just 20 per cent in favour. A further 17 per cent supported lower tolls.

A local councillor says the newly revealed documents cast doubt over the legitimacy of the process to toll Penlink. National says it will reconsider the tolling decision should it win the election.‘

Just to set the record straight, it seems the official advice given to Michael Wood from the 2 relevant departments was conflicting. MoT opposed it while Waka Kotahi proposed it.

You would get the impression from the Herald, Michael Wood was going against official advice, but that's not the whole picture.

The Herald's become a cheap tabloid, with click bait controversy headlines.
    I also seem to remember when concept initially proposed, commuters were strongly in favour of the road even if tolls were the way of making it feasible.
    It gave them a choice & alternative to the choked only current road off the peninsular.
    Hardly surprising now project going ahead, if given a choice commuters would prefer not to pay a toll.

$3 each way does seem a bit steep though.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
    Just to set the record straight, it seems the official advice given to Michael Wood from the 2 relevant departments was conflicting. MoT opposed it while Waka Kotahi proposed it.

You would get the impression from the Herald, Michael Wood was going against official advice, but that's not the whole picture.

The Herald's become a cheap tabloid, with click bait controversy headlines.
    I also seem to remember when concept initially proposed, commuters were strongly in favour of the road even if tolls were the way of making it feasible.
    It gave them a choice & alternative to the choked only current road off the peninsular.
    Hardly surprising now project going ahead, if given a choice commuters would prefer not to pay a toll.

$3 each way does seem a bit steep though.
    ‘I also seem to remember when concept initially proposed, commuters were strongly in favour of the road even if tolls were the way of making it feasible.’

———

Any link to some evidence to back up your “I seem to remember” claim?

It’s as if you think Michael Wood can do no wrong. Utterly incapable of it. The Herald and ‘commuters’ must be the ones to blame.

Guru

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...AC5I6GA2FPH54/

‘Amendments to the Three Waters reform plan have blown out establishment costs by an estimated $1 billion.’

Guru

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/politi...NYPOG22MSMCMQ/

‘National says it is “ridiculous” that nearly $80 million has been spent as part of a safety improvement programme on the notorious Dome Valley section of State Highway 1 north of Auckland since 2019 yet none of it related to increasing resilience to future weather events.

It comes as the critical road linking Auckland and Northland is closed for a third day after major slips. It follows two other closures already this year due to slips - one in February after Cyclone Gabrielle lasting 76 days.’

Quote Originally Posted by Logen Ninefingers View Post
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...AC5I6GA2FPH54/

‘Amendments to the Three Waters reform plan have blown out establishment costs by an estimated $1 billion.’
    One of my friends has already had his first encounter with the brain numbing & very expensive requirements of 3 Waters.

His farm needs to renew access to water from an aquifer in the Taranaki region and his farm duely applied for the renewal.

Instead of the simple process which used to happen in the past, he must now hire a consultant like Beca Carter, Fulton Hogan etc to put forward a proposal as to why his renewal should be approved!

There's a telephone directory book thick application to fill in, requiring very detailed geographic aquifer and discharge information which has to be provided by the applicant! For example, how many bores are within 2 kms perimeter of the bore and how much water are bring drawn etc etc etc!

Estimated cost : $120,000 (quoted by the consultants)
    Estimated time frame : 9 months to 1 year but he will be granted a temporary extension if his application is in progress

Final approval will require local iwi sign off with no clear protocols in place.
    Last edited by Balance; 29-06-2023 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    One of my friends has already has his first encounter with the brain numbing & very expensive requirements of 3 Waters.

His farm needs to renew access to water from an aquifer in the Taranaki region and his farm duely applied for the renewal.

Instead of the simple process which used to happen in the past, he must now hire a consultant like Beca Carter, Fulton Hogan etc to put forward a proposal as to why his renewal should be approved!

Estimated cost : $120,000 (quoted by the consultants)
    Estimated time frame : 9 months to 1 year but he will be granted a temporary extension if his application is in progress

Final approval will require local iwi sign off with no clear protocols in place.

I didn't think it had even gone the the select committee yet with a roll out planned from next year?

Quote Originally Posted by causecelebre View Post
    I didn't think it had even gone the the select committee yet with a roll out planned from next year?
    Nope - it is already in process. I was with my friend last week and he was tearing his hair out.

And my friend can tell you that the local councils have no clue what to do as they have little guidance from the government.

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Nope - it is already in process. I was with my friend last week and he was tearing his hair out.

And my friend can tell you that the local councils have no clue what to do as they have little guidance from the government.
    WTF?! This isn't even law yet.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by causecelebre View Post
    WTF?! This isn't even law yet.
    Sounds like balance's friend has been scammed by someone for 120k.

Quote Originally Posted by Panda-NZ- View Post
    Sounds like balance's friend has been scammed by someone for 120k.
    Yes. The current government