sharetrader
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by SBQ View Post
    I honestly think what a waste of time this GST removal on 'fresh fruits and veg'. If they really wanted to make a meaningful impact, the GST should be removed on ALL fresh perishable foods such as MEATS! Look at the price of salmon at nearly $50/kg for filleted !!! What about milk and bread? It's a half baked approached just like Kiwi Saver.

We can rant all we want, the problem is the general NZ population is too clueless in the head that no wonder NZ politicians can get away misleading.
    Remove GST from everything, then make everything ‘free’, then make it that all jobs paid at the exact same rate, and then we all must live in the same standardised houses and wear the same standardised clothes (grey).
    All aspects of life must be standardised and made uniform, so life can finally be ‘fair’.
    What great ideas you have comrade!

Quote Originally Posted by Logen Ninefingers View Post
    Remove GST from everything, then make everything ‘free’, then make it that all jobs paid at the exact same rate, and then we all must live in the same standardised houses and wear the same standardised clothes (grey).
    All aspects of life must be standardised and made uniform, so life can finally be ‘fair’.
    No one is implying a complete removal of GST. The premise of this GST discussion by our political parties is to compare what other countries have done. If Australia, Canada, & UK are able to exempt GST on "basic necessities", then why can't NZ do the same? This is far from anything communistic and instead, all about placing in the right incentives. You want more affordable housing? Remove that tax free CGT on multiple house ownership; which only shows the incentive to turn houses into a profit making asset class.

Fairness is about having the right policies that creates "social mobility".

Legend

Sounds great. Do we all get a Lada to push around?

Guru

Remove GST on fruit and vegetables, and suddenly the cry is “ooeerrr….you need to remove GST from ALL basic necessities!” Give Left wing types an inch, they’ll soon be demanding a mile. And the answer is apparently to apply a CGT at a time when property prices continue to fall and the economy is teetering on a knife edge. Paying out tax refunds to those selling property at a loss won’t do much to plug the yawning revenue hole that the government has fallen into.

Membaa

Give Left wing types an inch, they’ll soon be demanding a mile. And the answer is apparently to apply a CGT at a time when property prices continue to fall and the economy is teetering on a knife edge. Paying out tax refunds to those selling property at a loss won’t do much to plug the yawning revenue hole that the government has fallen into.
    There's no guarantee that they would refund a capital gains tax loss on a property, it'll be like, suck it up loser. What galls is a lifetime of providing for your family, paying humungous taxes over that lifetime supporting untold beneficiaries (not just handouts), and every time a Labour government gets in they just want more and more and more from those 'who have'. Even though what they have they've worked bloody hard for, after deducting all the endless taxes and fees. And to thank us, they demand more, and squander it on vanity policies and 'ambitions' that have absolutely no possibility of ever being implemented while they're in government!

You’re starting to sound like Balance. Do any of you beneficiary bashers ever stop to consider that there could be people here who are on a benefit of some kind? People who have also worked for many years to support their families, but who, for various reasons, now find themselves needing some assistance? Have you any idea what that feels like or how it impacts on one’s sense of self worth?

Nah, I didn’t think so. Sometimes I really hate this place.

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    What galls is a lifetime of providing for your family, paying humungous taxes over that lifetime supporting untold beneficiaries ….

Membaa

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    You’re starting to sound like Balance. Do any of you beneficiary bashers ever stop to consider that there could be people here who are on a benefit of some kind? People who have also worked for many years to support their families, but who, for various reasons, now find themselves needing some assistance? Have you any idea what that feels like or how it impacts on one’s sense of self worth?

You're blending your own circumstances into the term 'beneficiaries', there are many many types of benefits. I am not bashing those who need some help. Have a look at what else MSD pays out, and what for, how easy it is to game the system and how many do game it. It's gravy train.

My point though, is that I've worked my lifetime, I've worked very hard, paid all my taxes and fees, a very large sum of taxes, tried to save a bit and even though I own my own house and my investments and some savings, I will still not be able to 'retire'. I will have to sell my house when I cannot work, find some cheaper accomodation and forego life insurance, health insurance, disability insurance, draw down on my savings and investments, take the superannuation. I will become dependent on the state as well. It makes me ill to think about it. It is so depressing for our younger folks, who see this and wonder how on earth they have any hope making a financially independent life for themselves.

Don't bash me just because you feel bashed and react like a firecracker, and please, don't liken me to Balance. Let's not fall out over this JK, especially on a public forum, step back, take a deep breath and consider that even those who apparently have done the 'right thing' all their lives and even though they have literally paid millions in taxes and are considered 'wealthy' by some, will still not have a sustainable standard of living without earning an income from a job, and are likely to become a beneficiary of the state before they die.

This is what the Labour government promote. They have done it for many decades, they are the Robin Hood of governments. I will be very pleased to see the back of this one which has exceeded any and all previous Labour governments largess at the expense of everyone who is paying for it.

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post

Nothing wrong or degrading about being on a benefit for those who need the hand up. That’s what NZ’s social welfare system is truly about - and should always be about.

But everything wrong with the growing numbers who use social welfare and the benefit system as a lifestyle choice. Solo mums with 6 kids from 6 men - what chance have the poor kids got? Parasites who are high on drugs and alcohol, and can’t be bothered getting jobs. Parents who smoke, drink excessively but have children - they have a choice but the children do not.

And we have a government today actively encouraging people to get into that as a lifestyle choice.

I say Curse this Hipkins and Ardern government. Curse them for their hypocrisy, their incompetence, their arrogance and their self-serving lies, BS & spin.
    Last edited by Balance; 14-08-2023 at 08:41 PM.

Legend

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/hea...me-are-worried

The end of Covid measures: Chris Hipkins 'longed for the day', but some are worried

Professor Nick Wilson, Department of Public Health, University of Otago, said the Government was wrong to end isolation requirements.

“The Government is so keen to pretend it's all over, despite people dying daily in hospital. It’s not trivial,” he said.

He said in the last week nearly three people had died each day and 171 people were in hospital.

He had hoped that instead of a full seven days, the system would change to a “test release” with a negative test ending a person’s required isolation.

“It’s still highly infectious. The average person is still infecting more than one other person. If they go to work, it will affect productivity,” he said.

Dr Siouxsie Wiles, one of the public faces of the Covid-19 response who was named New Zealander of the Year in 2021, said she was disappointed by the Government’s decision.

“Gutted by today’s news that masking in healthcare settings and mandatory isolation are goneburgers,” she wrote on Twitter.

“Sending hugs to everyone who understands what this means. I’m going to keep doing all I can because that’s all we’ve got left right?”

There is no more Covid any more - is there - Open your Legs - Chumpie says it's safe

Ignore the Experts

Only 2000 + have died due to Covid with more ill every week - not far off peak numbers weekly

It's Labour's way forward folks - Dropped you all in it and advocating for more of the same

Try not to catch Covid, Try not to die from Covid .. Labour say it doesn't matter anymore and they don't give a sh!t going forward

Don't even think that the Hospitals will be able to help .. some ED's can't even open due to staffing shortages

Please try to be kind and do remember to vote for dropping everyone in it again

Chumpie might even Open his little peastick legs, jump in the air and try to have everyone believe that he's scaring Covid away

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/politi...IZGNNBTEKLB4U/

Covid 19 pandemic: The downstream impacts will reverberate indefinitely

A bit like the pitter patter of Labour hooves rapidly departing in October ?
    Last edited by nztx; 14-08-2023 at 09:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    You're blending your own circumstances into the term 'beneficiaries', there are many many types of benefits. I am not bashing those who need some help. Have a look at what else MSD pays out, and what for, how easy it is to game the system and how many do game it. It's gravy train.

My point though, is that I've worked my lifetime, I've worked very hard, paid all my taxes and fees, a very large sum of taxes, tried to save a bit and even though I own my own house and my investments and some savings, I will still not be able to 'retire'. I will have to sell my house when I cannot work, find some cheaper accomodation and forego life insurance, health insurance, disability insurance, draw down on my savings and investments, take the superannuation. I will become dependent on the state as well. It makes me ill to think about it. It is so depressing for our younger folks, who see this and wonder how on earth they have any hope making a financially independent life for themselves.

Don't bash me just because you feel bashed and react like a firecracker, and please, don't liken me to Balance. Let's not fall out over this JK, especially on a public forum, step back, take a deep breath and consider that even those who apparently have done the 'right thing' all their lives and even though they have literally paid millions in taxes and are considered 'wealthy' by some, will still not have a sustainable standard of living without earning an income from a job, and are likely to become a beneficiary of the state before they die.

This is what the Labour government promote. They have done it for many decades, they are the Robin Hood of governments. I will be very pleased to see the back of this one which has exceeded any and all previous Labour governments largess at the expense of everyone who is paying for it.
    Just 1 point Baa Baa.
    Superannuants are not dependents of the state. They earned this income from a lifetime of paying tax.