sharetrader
Page 13 of 1431 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723631135131013 ... LastLast
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by moka View Post
    Maori don’t think government has delivered to them whether it is National or Labour. The stats show that Maori are disadvantaged in health, education, employment. Institutionalised racism is common, by government departments as well as by government itself.
    Cry me a river, my siblings and I grew up in the worst possibly home and lifestyle you could imagine but we all made a way for ourselves without Govt help.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by couta1 View Post
    Cry me a river, my siblings and I grew up in the worst possibly home and lifestyle you could imagine but we all made a way for ourselves without Govt help.
    So do you think there should be survival of the “fittest” and the rest die as the result of discrimination, hunger and disease? Monty Python’s four Yorkshiremen - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue7wM0QC5LE

Advanced Member

Similar here couta, dirt poor and disfunctional, and my two siblings and I have all done very well despite the siblings both having serious health issues. Mind you they both moved to Australia many years ago, as did around half of my many first cousins. Doubt any of us would play the Maori card to get preferential attention.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    Similar here couta, dirt poor and disfunctional, and my two siblings and I have all done very well despite the siblings both having serious health issues. Mind you they both moved to Australia many years ago, as did around half of my many first cousins. Doubt any of us would play the Maori card to get preferential attention.
    Yes your last sentence was exactly the point i was trying to make but no doubt the PC do good mob will be along soon to dazzle us with their bs rhetoric.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    Your rellies would be hard-pushed to access government funding as Maori in Australia. Post 1994 all Special category Kiwis paying full tax can’t even access all regular funding!

Guru

Yes your last sentence was exactly the point i was trying to make but no doubt the PC do good mob will be along soon to dazzle us with their bs rhetoric.
    Good on you for being Maori and making it by yourself despite your tough background. I think the odds were stacked against you. Hats off to you. Chapeau! You would probably be a good mentor for today’s Maori youth.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 04-11-2020 at 05:46 PM.

When New Zealand was a welfare state New Zealanders got lots of government help such as state housing, free tertiary education, State Advances loans, capitalizing the family benefit. And it was targeted mainly at white middle class. You not have benefited from any direct financial assistance from the government, but they did provide the infrastructure to help as many New Zealanders as possible succeed. And now those who have succeeded are reluctant to allow similar assistance through a welfare state to others, especially to Maori.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Kiwi's (not just maori) think they are over represented in all the statistics you mention.That includes unemployment. Why do they have such high unemployment numbers, given the huge economic clout they have achieved through Waitangi settlements in the last 3 decades ? I recall, when they were handed 50% of Sealords, maori saying this would be a great opportunity for them to increase the numbers of maori working in the fishing industry. Yet Sealord bought a brand new vessel last year and can not crew it. I had lunch on it some months ago and saw only 1 or 2 maoris in the crew. Most were philippinos
    A bit of a mind game there when you say Kiwi's (not just maori) think they are over represented in all the statistics you mention. You dismiss the fact that outcomes for Maori are worse in health, education and employment than for white New Zealanders.

The Waitangi settlements didn’t actually give Maori huge economic clout. It may have seemed a lot of money but it doesn’t go far. I did see some figures putting the settlements into perspective and the sums were paltry. I don’t know much about Sealord but iwi have received $106.4m from Moana since 2004 which doesn’t go far when spread among 58 iwi shareholders.

Moana New Zealand has also declared their largest cash dividend yet of $11.3 million, in accordance with the Company’s dividend policy and as set out in the Maori Fisheries Act. Its 58 Iwi shareholders will receive their respective share of the dividend today. This brings the total dividends to its shareholders since Moana New Zealand’s inception in 2004, to $106.4 million.
    https://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/BU19...m-moana-nz.htm

Dilettante

A bit of a mind game there when you say Kiwi's (not just maori) think they are over represented in all the statistics you mention. You dismiss the fact that outcomes for Maori are worse in health, education and employment than for white New Zealanders.

The Waitangi settlements didn’t actually give Maori huge economic clout. It may have seemed a lot of money but it doesn’t go far. I did see some figures putting the settlements into perspective and the sums were paltry. I don’t know much about Sealord but iwi have received $106.4m from Moana since 2004 which doesn’t go far when spread among 58 iwi shareholders.

Moana New Zealand has also declared their largest cash dividend yet of $11.3 million, in accordance with the Company’s dividend policy and as set out in the Maori Fisheries Act. Its 58 Iwi shareholders will receive their respective share of the dividend today. This brings the total dividends to its shareholders since Moana New Zealand’s inception in 2004, to $106.4 million.
    https://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/BU19...m-moana-nz.htm
    How do you find that I dismissed it. I agreed with you that they are over represented in all those statistics.

It is silly of you to say they do not have big economic clot. Iwi businesses in NZ is a 9-10 BILLION empire. https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...iwi%20holdings.

Guru

When New Zealand was a welfare state New Zealanders got lots of government help such as state housing, free tertiary education, State Advances loans, capitalizing the family benefit. And it was targeted mainly at white middle class. You not have benefited from any direct financial assistance from the government, but they did provide the infrastructure to help as many New Zealanders as possible succeed. ..
    Surely that is just baby boomer entitlement - it doesn't count as welfare!