sharetrader
Page 15 of 1431 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925651155151015 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Moka be careful not to fall into the trap of justifying Mahuta's appointment ONLY because she is a Maori woman. It does Maori disservice. I am criticising that appointment as I think it is a very important role and has always been occupied by highly experienced and capable people. I do not rate Mahuta as such and it has nothing to do with race or appearance. I believe the PM has made a terrible mistake here and obviously Chris Trotter agrees.
    I don’t justify Mahuta’s appointment ONLY because she is a Maori woman. I think that being a Maori woman disadvantages her. I trust Jacinda’s judgement. She won’t be judging her only on her appearance which handicaps her as you can see by the negative comments here and elsewhere.

Jacinda said Mahuta had experience as an associate trade minister in the previous cabinet, and Jacinda has seen first-hand the relationships she has formed in that role, she is someone who builds fantastic relationships very, very quickly, and that is one of the key jobs in a Foreign Affairs role.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9swNi-eB48

Let's assume the popularity contest vote is worth 20 seats of labour party vote. Add five for deluded boomers voting for closed border management so they can continue sipping lattes in retirement and five more for farmers that voted red to keep the greens out.
    No popular prime minister material on the right so the vote went to her. But the country underneath voted further right. I think ten mps and Mr Seymour will be out from the beginning guns blazing.

Quote Originally Posted by moka View Post
    I don’t justify Mahuta’s appointment ONLY because she is a Maori woman. I think that being a Maori woman disadvantages her. I trust Jacinda’s judgement. She won’t be judging her only on her appearance which handicaps her as you can see by the negative comments here and elsewhere.

Jacinda said Mahuta had experience as an associate trade minister in the previous cabinet, and Jacinda has seen first-hand the relationships she has formed in that role, she is someone who builds fantastic relationships very, very quickly, and that is one of the key jobs in a Foreign Affairs role.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9swNi-eB48
    Judgement?

Same judgement which saw her appointed and kept Phil Twyford, Kelvin Davis, Lee’s Galloway, David Clark and Clare Curran on despite their repeated failures to perform and obvious incompetence?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    I think you have supplied the answer - government jobs were easy, paid well and very flexible - we know that in the 60s and 70s, the government departments & workforce were the least productive & inefficient part of NZ workforce.

Guess the Maori never made the best of the period of unparalleled prosperity in NZ in the 60s and 70s. A great time to get educated, be healthy, buy homes and build up wealth when there was full employment and opportunities were aplenty.

Whose fault was that?
    An interesting question. The 1960's and 70's was an era when the indigenous people around the British Empire and Commonwealth were taking over government administration which then took their countries to independence. However for some the Colonial settler societies hung on to control either by sheer determination (eg Rhodesia and RSA) or by size of settler population (e.g. NZ.) So for Maori the transition to control their country never occurred.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    An interesting question. The 1960's and 70's was an era when the indigenous people around the British Empire and Commonwealth were taking over government administration which then took their countries to independence. However for some the Colonial settler societies hung on to control either by sheer determination (eg Rhodesia and RSA) or by size of settler population (e.g. NZ.) So for Maori the transition to control their country never occurred.
    Education, education and education.

Maori need to embrace that simple mantra imo rather than the current focus on sports, grievances and segregation tendencies.

Will not suit Maori politicians however.

Maybe if our one-size-fits-all education system found a way to cater for kids from different cultures in terms of teaching and learning methods/strategies, outcomes would improve.

You are, once again, lumping all Māori into one group and making judgments that are incorrect and disrespectful. Are all pakeha exactly the same? Do we all have the same level of education? Do we all play sport? No ... so why do you automatically “see” all Māori people the same as each other? Your comments are racist, whether you recognise it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Education, education and education.

Maori need to embrace that simple mantra imo rather than the current focus on sports, grievances and segregation tendencies.

Will not suit Maori politicians however.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Your rellies would be hard-pushed to access government funding as Maori in Australia.....
    Really? Who knew? //

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    Maybe if our one-size-fits-all education system found a way to cater for kids from different cultures in terms of teaching and learning methods/strategies, outcomes would improve.

You are, once again, lumping all Māori into one group and making judgments that are incorrect and disrespectful. Are all pakeha exactly the same? Do we all have the same level of education? Do we all play sport? No ... so why do you automatically “see” all Māori people the same as each other? Your comments are racist, whether you recognise it or not.
    You make some valid points.....but the problem is you can't have it both ways. You are right to say don't lump Maori into one group and assume they are all the same when it comes to negative choices. The same applies when implementing welfare policies. You shouldn't target welfare according to skin colour....why not?...because they are not all the same. To say so is racist. The same applies to all the other "identity politics" groupings of alphabet soup, gender etc.

Apparently it is ok to be racist or sexist when you are handing things out or distributing power.

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post

Racist?

Maori are the ones who define their race as the one represented overwhelmingly in the wrong stats - crime, health, poverty, child cruelty, gangs etc etc etc. So they lump themselves already!

What I am doing is offering an idea of what has worked in third world countries (becoming first world) - eg. Singapore, Taiwan, Korea, Japan - education, education and education. They embrace Western education with a passion with no problem. Heck, they pay top dollars to come to NZ to study! I have met students whose families mortgage their homes to send them here to study!

And here we are in NZ - free education, free medical care for children and interest free student loans but excuses, excuses and excuses instead of education, education and education!

justakiwi, you need to knock that huge chip of your shoulder and be a well rounded thinker. Too many excuses and grievances from you.
    Last edited by Balance; 05-11-2020 at 09:38 AM.

This coming from the biggest “chip holder” and most narrow minder thinker, in this forum.

justakiwi, you need to knock that huge chip of your shoulder and be a well rounded thinker. Too many excuses and grievances from you.