sharetrader
Page 152 of 1432 FirstFirst ... 521021421481491501511521531541551561622022526521152 ... LastLast
Results 1,511 to 1,520 of 14320
    Dilettante

A scathing article in the Herald as well, written by Audrey Young, starting like this:

"In the four days since the Government outlined changes to "hate speech" law, it has become obvious from comments by the Prime Minister, Jacinda Ardern, that she does not understand them."

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    A scathing article in the Herald as well, written by Audrey Young, starting like this:

"In the four days since the Government outlined changes to "hate speech" law, it has become obvious from comments by the Prime Minister, Jacinda Ardern, that she does not understand them."
    We don't need hate speech laws. Fair enough to legislate against inciting violence or vandalism. But if I decide to hate something, or someone, I'll dam well say so. (Not that I do - currently, but you never know who or what is going to get right up your nose). So legislate by all means but start by forgetting the inappropriate and corny 'hate speech' moniker. (Which would be close to impossible to define for a kick-off)
    Last edited by fungus pudding; 28-06-2021 at 04:51 PM.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    We don't need hate speech laws. Fair enough to legislate against inciting violence or vandalism. But if I decide to hate something, or someone, I'll dam well say so. (Not that I do - currently, but you never know who or what is going to get right up your nose). So legislate by all means but start by forgetting the inappropriate and corny 'hate speech' moniker. (Which would be close to impossible to define for a kick-off)
    The PM's position on the Christchurch call dictates some action must be announced.

Anyway, apparently the courts will be deciding. Which depends on what Police decide to prosecute.

(Planning to load up on popcorn company shares. )

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    The PM's position on the Christchurch call dictates some action must be announced.

Anyway, apparently the courts will be deciding. Which depends on what Police decide to prosecute.

(Planning to load up on popcorn company shares. )
    I'd certainly hate to be the test case!

Perhaps the first case could be brought due to backlash against antivaxers if we fail to meet heard immunity targets, and are forced to continue fortress NZ? Hopefully not.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post

Perhaps the first case could be brought due to backlash against antivaxers if we fail to meet heard immunity targets, and are forced to continue fortress NZ? Hopefully not.
    I'd love to see a backlash against antivaxers ...

Hope loving is allowed in the proposed law?
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by tim23 View Post
    Its never that simple, a nurse may own a home here or be with a partner with good income or may simply prefer to live in NZ - pure speculation on your part
    I specificaly mentioned starting nurse, because young people without any ties are the most likely to leave. I did the same thing. However much I might like my place of origin, if I can make better living somewhere else, I'd be stupid not to.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post

I wonder if the hate law is going to be universal or if it will specifically allow hate against middle aged white guys

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by peetter View Post
    I wonder if the hate law is going to be universal or if it will specifically allow hate against middle aged white guys
    Of course it will. After all discrimination laws allow discrimination but only if it favours a minority.
    Last edited by fungus pudding; 28-06-2021 at 08:13 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by peetter View Post
    Young people are affected too. Admission to some University Courses can be determined by "verified" racial or national ancestry under the "Mirror on Society" selection policies. It will be interesting to see how criticism of such policies will be tolerated, and to what extent, under the new proposals.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Of course it will. After all discrimination laws allow discrimination but only if it favours a minority.
    Positive discrimination (which is what you are talking about) is quite different to hate speech.