sharetrader
Page 153 of 1432 FirstFirst ... 531031431491501511521531541551561571632032536531153 ... LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,530 of 14320
    Legend

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    Positive discrimination (which is what you are talking about) is quite different to hate speech.
    No. It's only a tiny difference - just the name. Otherwise they both remove someone's rights.

Guru

Newshub poll of currently more than 8000 votes is sitting at 86% against the "Hate Speech" laws. Vote here

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/polit...eech-laws.html

Let's see if Ardern is stupid enough to push on. My bet is a "Reset" and they will have another crack. Ardern loves a Review and a Reset after sniffing the political wind.

Remember the Comrades speech?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9rsxFaq6Ig

A leopard doesn't change its spots. Ardern wants to tell you how to think, what to say. She described compulsory QR scanning as an "inconvenience" in recent days. That's how she describes a removal of Freedom of Movement Rights. But hey, there's the royal wedding to look forward to.

BTC went to $69K and now $16K. Good thing I’ve been warning you since it was $3K! I was right!

Guru

Karl hit an extraordinary number of nails on the head. He is older than I am, but I vaguely remember him in my childhood, his parents were friends of my parents. They raised him well.

Required an offshore party to write it, but a succinct summary (should be free to read).

https://www.spectator.com.au/2021/06...6-dc0d852dc7ef

New Zealanders returning after a few years abroad might wonder whether they’ve blundered into a parallel universe. A government that is pitifully thin on ministerial ability and experience is busy re-inventing the wheel, and doing it at such speed that the public has barely had time to catch its breath. To quote one seasoned political observer: ‘It seems like a hostile takeover of our country is underway and most people feel powerless to do anything about it’.

The government has done its best to ensure continued media support for this ideological project by creating a $55 million slush fund, supposedly to support ‘public interest journalism’ but available only to news organisations that commit themselves to the promotion of the so-called principles (never satisfactorily defined) of the 1840 Treaty of Waitangi. What has been framed as an idealistic commitment to the survival of journalism is, in other words, a cynical and opportunistic bid for control over the news media at a time when the industry is floundering. This is a government so shameless, or perhaps so convinced of its own untouchability, that it is brazenly buying the media’s compliance.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Ten View Post
    Required an offshore party to write it, but a succinct summary (should be free to read).

https://www.spectator.com.au/2021/06...6-dc0d852dc7ef

New Zealanders returning after a few years abroad might wonder whether they’ve blundered into a parallel universe. A government that is pitifully thin on ministerial ability and experience is busy re-inventing the wheel, and doing it at such speed that the public has barely had time to catch its breath. To quote one seasoned political observer: ‘It seems like a hostile takeover of our country is underway and most people feel powerless to do anything about it’.

The government has done its best to ensure continued media support for this ideological project by creating a $55 million slush fund, supposedly to support ‘public interest journalism’ but available only to news organisations that commit themselves to the promotion of the so-called principles (never satisfactorily defined) of the 1840 Treaty of Waitangi. What has been framed as an idealistic commitment to the survival of journalism is, in other words, a cynical and opportunistic bid for control over the news media at a time when the industry is floundering. This is a government so shameless, or perhaps so convinced of its own untouchability, that it is brazenly buying the media’s compliance.
    Karl Dufresne is a Kiwi. Based in Wellington I think.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    Newshub poll of currently more than 8000 votes is sitting at 86% against the "Hate Speech" laws. Vote here

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/polit...eech-laws.html

Let's see if Ardern is stupid enough to push on. My bet is a "Reset" and they will have another crack. Ardern loves a Review and a Reset after sniffing the political wind.

Remember the Comrades speech?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9rsxFaq6Ig

A leopard doesn't change its spots. Ardern wants to tell you how to think, what to say. She described compulsory QR scanning as an "inconvenience" in recent days. That's how she describes a removal of Freedom of Movement Rights. But hey, there's the royal wedding to look forward to.

There seems to be some misunderstanding or confusion, there is not even any Draft legislation on this review of Hate Speech.
    At this stage it's merely a Discussion Paper on the recommendation of Royal Commission inquiry, so yours & others anger & obvious outrage at a Discussion Paper seeking public feedback seems a little surprising.

The aim is to prevent individuals or groups stirring up & inciting hatred of others, which most people would think desirable.
    Yes it's difficult to formulate legislation around this without capturing or omitting unintended actions, however, that doesn't mean its not worth trying.

Some through misunderstanding or with vested interests or political motives (JC) seem keen to misrepresent & frame it in the most provocative, polarising & divisive terms and sink any discussion before it has even started.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
    There seems to be some misunderstanding or confusion, there is not even any Draft legislation on this review of Hate Speech.
    At this stage it's merely a Discussion Paper on the recommendation of Royal Commission inquiry, so yours & others anger & obvious outrage at a Discussion Paper seeking public feedback seems a little surprising.

The aim is to prevent individuals or groups stirring up & inciting hatred of others, which most people would think desirable.
    Yes it's difficult to formulate legislation around this without capturing or omitting unintended actions, however, that doesn't mean its not worth trying.

Some through misunderstanding or with vested interests or political motives (JC) seem keen to misrepresent & frame it in the most provocative, polarising & divisive terms and sink any discussion before it has even started.
    Well most of the country's political journos disagree with you for a start. Yes, they have put out a discussion document. One that neither Ardern or Faafoi seem to understand the implications of. Furthermore, Ardern has been downright misleading on what is proposed.

Ardern's government's arrogance is on full display, as is their true agenda. I've thought for some time that the media would turn on Ardern, despite the millions of bribes she has fed the industry. I think perhaps she has has lit the touch paper. How long before the "reset" I wonder. Methinks it will be too late in this instance. Her hand has been shown and the media smell blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post

Who's to decide what's inciting hate? Lately you're labeled as hating for speaking out about anything. I have some controversial opinions a lot of people share, but are afraid to say out loud. If I say them publicly and some crazy activist doesn't like it, what happens?
    You know there was a lot of people imprisoned and executed in Soviet Union for unpopular opinions before people finaly got fed up and revolution happened. It's bit concerning that first world countries are heading in that direction.

Guru

See how cynical and desperate our government is. The threats described here are already covered in the Crimes Act.

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/natio...?ocid=msedgntp

Andrew Little and Ardern are currently two of the most serious threats to NZ society. Intellectual lightweights that would do away with our freedoms in a heartbeat to support their ill thought out agenda.