sharetrader
Page 161 of 1433 FirstFirst ... 611111511571581591601611621631641651712112616611161 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,610 of 14322
    Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Panda-NZ- View Post
    The fact you don't think our corona response has been world leading would be a strange concept to almost all international visitors here.
    That there has been almost no lockdowns has been amazing for business, health and the economy.

Though they are failing on the hate speech law, housing and encouraging seperatism here.
    You are just doing exactly what BP has been very reasonably & thoroughly criticising, by glossing over the shocking shortcomings with the vaccination program here in NZ and a total failure to develop and implement a plan to get NZ away from our current totally unsustainable and unreasonable border closure policies.
    Not sure what international visitors you are referring to as we don't really have any here at present. I have many friends & family overseas and most of them can not believe that NZ has no plan to join the rest of the World and manage our way with COVID for the next few years. Believing we can continue with an elimination strategy is just a childish fallacy
    Last edited by iceman; 03-07-2021 at 08:19 AM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by kiora View Post
    Where did the other 15% of the prisoners go? Into hotels? Likely to be cheaper.
    https://www.corrections.govt.nz/reso...ats_march_2021
    Not sure what you are referring to. I see there is no home detention category in the stats. Maybe that accounts for the gap in whatever you are looking for?

Guru

The fact you don't think our corona response has been world leading would be a strange concept to most all international visitors here.
    That there has been almost no lockdowns has been amazing for business, health and the economy.

Though they are failing on the hate speech law, housing and encouraging seperatism here.
    The pre-vaccine covid response may well have been world beating. My overseas friends had been full of praise.

However we are in the multiple covid variants/vaccine rollout phase. Those same friends are gobsmacked that vaccination occurred so late and slow. They wonder why the relaxed approach occurred despite more infectious covid variants developing and with border leakage.

Hate Speech reform is in the initial discussion phase. They may yet develop a more coherent approach before drafting proposed legislative changes (benefit of the doubt?).

Housing is a disaster. It was already failing when they took office. They have made it worse in my opinion.

I do wonder if they are trying to introduce a version of apartheid in this country. (if I was feeling more sanguine, perhaps a more benign version than Verwoerd's version)

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    The problem is you aren't responding, you're just ducking the questions by spouting a bunch more. What is Ardern's government going to fix that isn't already covered in law? And why does she need to further impinge on the rights of Free Speech to do it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    You blame the "government" but it's not clear whether you mean the Executive (Labour in Government), or the Administration (government [agencies])? Obvious isn't it that the agencies are responsible for implementing the processes to meet the policies, responsible for the MIQ, responsible for the Vaccine programme, etc. Labour itself (Government) does nothing practical, the agencies (government) do it all. By extension, it could be any Executive party in Government and the agencies that implement the processes would be the same as they are now.
    So if it is a success, the government takes credit.

If it is a failure, blame it on the agencies and government depts.

Loser mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    You blame the "government" but it's not clear whether you mean the Executive (Labour in Government), or the Administration (government [agencies])? Obvious isn't it that the agencies are responsible for implementing the processes to meet the policies, responsible for the MIQ, responsible for the Vaccine programme, etc. Labour itself (Government) does nothing practical, the agencies (government) do it all. By extension, it could be any Executive party in Government and the agencies that implement the processes would be the same as they are now.
    Well, the buck stops at the top, doesn't it? If Labour after four years in power is still not able to manage and control the administration which is serving at its pleasure, than clearly they are not the right people in the job, aren't they?

And we are not talking here about some minor regional issue, where maybe somebody in the administration should take responsibility. I guess the PM can't manage everything, can't she? However - we are talking here about one of the most significant issues for our people and our country in the coming months and years - surely, this is something the boss needs to monitor and manage, isn't it?

We are talking here potentially plenty of lives to lose (if the virus comes in prior to vaccination) and we are talking even more livelihoods at stake (keeping the borders closed due to incompetent vaccination roll out does cost jobs and it does impact on families). We won't be able to live on accruing debts forever - and as long as we are not vaccinated we can't let in tourists, we can't let in foreign students and our exporters are disadvantaged by not being able to properly service their overseas customers.

Labour might have good intentions, but they are clearly not capable of implementing them or just to run an administration. This is a clear fail. Still worse is that Labour and their supporters are not even (wo-)man enough to stand to their responsibility, admit their cockup and learn from their mistakes and make things better. Instead - it is always something or somebody else responsible, isn't it? Oh, the vaccine producers didn't foresee that we just have been too disorganised to order enough supplies. Maybe they forgot that after the maths lessons in NZ we haven't been able to take 5 million times two to order enough vaccine? Must be somebody's fault, can't be the government, can it?

I am pretty disappointed with Cindy - I guess she is really good in apologizing for the mistakes of previous governments (i.e. others), isn't she? Always finds the right words to make it sound nice and fluffy. However not able to acknowledge her own mistakes and stand to them.

Only losers are ducking away from their own responsibility. Are you already forecasting the outcome of the next elections?

Inept bunch ...
    Last edited by BlackPeter; 03-07-2021 at 10:17 AM.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post

We are talking here potentially plenty of lives to lose (if the virus comes in prior to vaccination) and we are talking even more livelihoods at stake (keeping the borders closed due to incompetent vaccination roll out does cost jobs and it does impact on families). We won't be able to live on accruing debts forever - and as long as we are not vaccinated we can't let in tourists, we can't let in foreign students and our exporters are disadvantaged by not being able to properly service their overseas customers.
    Let's talk about what is actually happening, rather some narrative you have thought up.
    The closed borders has a minor cost but its only 5% of a lockdown and much more managable.

Maybe look at international news instead to gain a better perspective on new zealand's coronavirus response?
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; 04-07-2021 at 07:15 AM.

Guru

I think many NZers would like the borders to remain closed after this . Maybe there should be a referendum on it.
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; 04-07-2021 at 05:37 AM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    What a piece of B/S ... I find your post without truth and merit and it is highly objectionable and insulting.

Example 1:Our anti immigration minister - could hardly suppress his grinning on TV when he said that oh - what a pity, we now unfortunately can't let their loved and families into the country ... well, we all have to suffer, haven't we?

Why is this an issue? Auckland is already extremely overcrowded let alone adding in people who are of no value.

A working migrant on the median income of $55k pays only $9k in income tax. It pays for basically nothing.
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; 04-07-2021 at 05:32 AM.

I think many NZers would like the borders to remain closed after this. Maybe there should be a referendum on it.
    Works well for North Korea doesn't it!

Guru

Works well for us, I think we've managed to cope rather well during this time.

The only path to higher productivity is to cut off the easy and cheap option.