sharetrader
Page 162 of 1432 FirstFirst ... 621121521581591601611621631641651661722122626621162 ... LastLast
Results 1,611 to 1,620 of 14320

Quote Originally Posted by Panda-NZ- View Post
    Why is this an issue? Auckland is already extremely overcrowded let alone adding in people who are of no value.

A working migrant on the median income ($55k) pays only $9k in income tax, it pays for and delivers nothing.
    Plus not allowing family reuinifcation was the policy under every government for the last 30 years.
    Auckland is not overcrowded, it's just extremely badly planned for a city.

And any working migrant is better than plenty of kiwis on benefit too good to do an honest day of work.

A little bit of math for you:
    $55000 salary - $9520 tax + $764.5 ACC
    $44715.50 after tax
    $13000 rent for a room - $4290 tax on income from landlords at 33%
    15% GST of the rest - $4757.325 tax
    Lets say $3000 PA on transportation - $1650 tax + $109 rego
    I could also include tobacco and alcohol tax. ALso if anyone else know some other extra taxes, please let me know.

Thats about $21091 in taxes. Compare that to a person on benefits please.
    Last edited by peetter; 03-07-2021 at 11:16 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by peetter View Post
    And any working migrant is better than plenty of kiwis on benefit too good to do an honest day of work.
    They take their wages overseas though, so I doubt it.
    Employers may be better served to become more efficient so they wouldn't need more workers.
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; 04-07-2021 at 07:14 AM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by peetter View Post
    Compare that to a person on benefits please.
    Why? It doesn't change the fact that migrants do not pay enough even for the basic infrastructure.
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; 04-07-2021 at 07:14 AM.

Advanced Member

Why? It doesn't change the fact that migrants do not pay enough even for the extra infrastructure.
    Their employers might pay a spot of tax, though less if the apples rot on the ground.

Advanced Member

The housing problem is a crisis, an absolute disgrace to Labour esp after all their confident promises to fix it. "In our Capital the number of people seeking emergency housing has tripled in a year." -all these children being brought up living in motels. "Home ownership is at a 70 year low."
    NZ needs increasing home ownership rates & affordable housing, not more subsidies.

Good article by Andrea Vance

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...odity#comments

Why? It doesn't change the fact that migrants do not pay enough even for the basic infrastructure.
    I mean your posts usually don't make much sense, but this one tops it. I put a list of taxes working immigrants pay, and you choose to deliberately remove it from quote just so your post doesn't seem like the obvious load of crap it is.

Works well for us, I think we've managed to cope rather well during this time.

The only path to higher productivity is to cut off the easy and cheap option.
    It hasn't worked well for us. We have severe skill shortages that cannot be fulfilled by New Zealanders without significant long-term training, for which we are ill equipped and lack the people to even undertake it.

No political party is proposing to keep a ban in place indefinitely.

Tweak the immigration settings then. You don't need to create fortress NZ, banning foreigners from working here, which will have severe trade repercussions.
    Last edited by Zaphod; 04-07-2021 at 10:47 AM.

Dilettante

You live in Lala land with no connection to reality it seems

Guru

Why is this an issue? Auckland is already extremely overcrowded let alone adding in people who are of no value.

A working migrant on the median income of $55k pays only $9k in income tax. It pays for basically nothing.
    I am taking that this was posted as a weekend discussion starter? After all we are all migrants or the descendants of those who migrated in various waka over the past 1000 or so years.

With respect to taxes, a working migrant is contributing a lot more than just income tax. GST and council rates come to mind. Also a working migrant by definition is not a a NZ born beneficiary - so the migrant's taxes help pay for the NZ-born beneficiaries and pensioners.

I think I agree with you insofar as NZ fiscal policy and both national and local planning policy has been deficient for decades. Because of that, without immigration, how would NZ have coped with the population loss from young NZ-born workers leaving to find better paid career opportunities and affordable home ownership overseas? NZ would become like parts of Italy, with villages of pensioners reliant on government and remittances from their children abroad.

I agree with Peetter - Auckland is only over-crowded because population growth has been poorly planned and managed. If your policies include high immigration, then you need to cater for it at least adequately.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 04-07-2021 at 11:40 AM.

A working migrant on the median income of $55k pays only $9k in income tax. It pays for basically nothing.

Quite sickening thread of posts. Who are you to assess other peoples value on the basis of not even properly calculating their tax payments? What is your worth to society?

Did you think about the value of a person to society based on supporting their family, parish and community? Based on their contribution at work? What about the foreign nurse which might at some stage clean your butt because you are not longer able to do so? Is his / her worth only determined by his / her income tax payslip? What about the worth of the immigrant who is helping to build the roads you are using and the house you want to live in - and who is helping to allow our farmers to still make some profit?

Apart from that - at the moment is NZ with frightening speed racking up an enormous pile of debts. We are sort of maxing out our credit card and live nicely by spending the money we borrow. However - we will need to pay that money back at some stage, and we can't do that without reopening the borders (tourism, education, servicing our products abroad) - so maybe you better think next time before you post.

Ah yes - have a look at our debt load and just imagine how much fun it will be to pay that back without adequate income from overseas ...

NZnetdebt.JPG
    Last edited by BlackPeter; 07-07-2021 at 11:37 AM.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)