sharetrader
Page 181 of 1432 FirstFirst ... 811311711771781791801811821831841851912312816811181 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,810 of 14320

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Most of the SUV's / Utes these days are driven by city folks on their way to the next latte or avocado sandwich or to bring their children who can't walk anymore to school. They are quite happy to endanger with their oversized Ute / SUV all sort of pedestrians, cyclists and folks in still a bit more economical vehicles, to clog up parking spaces in town and at the same time to drive up our CO2 emissions.

Every Ute / SUV not used on the farm (or for other outdoors work) is only increasing our CO2 output without any benefit other than increasing the ego (to stay with a PC term) of the driver.

I find it difficult to understand how dumb, selfish and environmentally unaware these farmers are to make these highly inappropriate noises in support of the SUV lobby and in that course further polluting our environment. I know there are as well responsible and environmentally aware farmers, but unfortunately its not the quiet ones you hear in the howling chorus wanting to destroy our planet.
    Really?

You must live in a different NZ than most of the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Really?

You must live in a different NZ than most of the rest of us.
    Maybe ... but maybe I am just keeping my eyes open and observe what I am seeing - without applying political filters.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/new...-zealand-roads

https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/progr...urban-dwellers

Maybe you just need to open your eyes (makes driving safer anyway) - or is it that you just don't notice the other SUV / Ute drivers on the way to the school and supermarket because your are driving the BIGGEST one??

(Edit) But hold on, on revisiting your post - maybe you did not refer to my statement re SUV / UTE's driven by city dwellers, but you just questioned my statement that there are as well responsible farmers around? If latter is the case - I am happy to withdraw and apologize ... clearly - balance must know better ;

Whatever it is - if one side at election time is supported by howling farmers keen to allow everybody to destroy the globe as fast as possible, then I think I better support the people who want to stem this madness :
    Last edited by BlackPeter; 16-07-2021 at 03:46 PM.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Guru

After this governments assault on democracy & abject failure on housing (case in point: KiwiBuild) it will be inflation, interest rate increases (by a pitiful degree mind you), and flat to falling house prices that bring them down. Middle NZ looking for someone to blame for their own delighted romp through housing and indulgence at the borrowing trough coming back to bite them.

I spoke to a typical NZ hard-working bloke recently who says he doesn't read anything about the central banks or money because he likes to form his own opinions. His own personal opinion is that 'they' would simply push out mortage term limits & then the next step would be to make mortgages inter-generational. The party could therefore go on forever. He said that debt is the way to go and there are 'billionaires' out there that owe a billion dollars. He said at the end of the day all everyone wants is the flash house & the boat.

So again, people care nothing about the big poloitcial and societal issues of the day. They believe what the sound-bites on the news tell them, and don't care to dig any deeper. They only get motivated to turn against the ruling political party of the day if they see their own personal wealth declining or under threat, & need someone to blame.
    Last edited by Logen Ninefingers; 16-07-2021 at 03:35 PM.

Maybe ... but maybe I am just keeping my eyes open and observe what I am seeing - without applying political filters.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/new...-zealand-roads

https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/progr...urban-dwellers

Maybe you just need to open your eyes (makes driving safer anyway) - or is it that you just don't notice the other SUV / Ute drivers on the way to the school and supermarket because your are driving the BIGGEST one??
    Do not own a Ute or SUV so you just fired yet another blank.

I agree that urban dwellers driving ute and outsized SUVs are a problem - so increase the taxes on them by all means.

But there is no logic about utes owned & used for business by farmers & tradies to be subject to the increased taxes when the alternative of electric is simply unavailable.

This government is anti-business because it does not have a single businessperson with real world experience of creating value so it thinks it can apply the same brush across everything.

Except when it comes to Maori separatism - then different brushes are applied.

Oh, I forgot about Cindy's business experience of working in a fish & chip shop.

Guru

Just by mentioning employment, Robbo is giving the Reserve Bank a nudge and wink. We are appparently not at maximum sustainable employment.....lol.....meanwhile businesses are crying out for overseas workers because they can't get staff. What a joke.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/125...nance-minister

He said he would not tell the Reserve Bank how to do its job, or to pick between its employment mandate and inflation mandate.

“The [Bank] is perfectly capable of looking at both parts of the mandate and working out how to manage that in any given situation,” Robertson said.

Robertson did not believe the country was at maximum sustainable employment, and said he had no intention of rolling back any fiscal stimulus – noting most of that had already been deployed.

Do not own a Ute or SUV so you just fired yet another blank.
    Quite stupid reaction - I just asked a legitimate question, but hey - just show us who you are.

But there is no logic about utes owned & used for business by farmers & tradies to be subject to the increased taxes when the alternative of electric is simply unavailable.
    Lets face it - this is a storm in a teacup. The additional cost to a farmer or trady for buying a new ute would be (as long as there is no EV alternative around) say $6k. This is over the average life time of this vehicle (20 years) what - $300 pa?

Obviously any trady or farmer can write off these additional costs from their tax bill, which reduces the average $300 pa to $200 pa (assuming 33% tax rate).

How much does it cost them to skip a day at work and howl through our cities?

Is this what the noise is all about? $200 additional tax for a business until there are suitable EV Utes around? Shame - and what bunch of idiots to waste their valuable working time for such a ridiculous cause.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by Logen Ninefingers View Post
    Just by mentioning employment, Robbo is giving the Reserve Bank a nudge and wink. We are appparently not at maximum sustainable employment.....lol.....meanwhile businesses are crying out for overseas workers because they can't get staff. What a joke.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/125...nance-minister

He said he would not tell the Reserve Bank how to do its job, or to pick between its employment mandate and inflation mandate.

“The [Bank] is perfectly capable of looking at both parts of the mandate and working out how to manage that in any given situation,” Robertson said.

Robertson did not believe the country was at maximum sustainable employment, and said he had no intention of rolling back any fiscal stimulus – noting most of that had already been deployed.
    Means interest rates go up and much faster.

Quite stupid reaction - I just asked a legitimate question, but hey - just show us who you are.

Lets face it - this is a storm in a teacup. The additional cost to a farmer or trady for buying a new ute would be (as long as there is no EV alternative around) say $6k. This is over the average life time of this vehicle (20 years) what - $300 pa?

Obviously any trady or farmer can write off these additional costs from their tax bill, which reduces the average $300 pa to $200 pa (assuming 33% tax rate).

Is this what the noise is all about? $200 additional tax for a business until there are suitable EV Utes around? Shame - and what bunch of idiots to waste their valuable working time for such a ridiculous cause.
    You actually think the protests are just about the Ute tax?????

Really???

What part of this did you not read?

‘The Howl of a Protest event, organised by Groundswell New Zealand, has seen thousands of farm vehicles rumbling through cities in protest against what farmers say is increasing interference from the Government, unworkable regulations and unjustified costs.’
    Last edited by Balance; 16-07-2021 at 04:03 PM.

Guru

And Ardern says there is no rural/urban divide. But then again, you voted her in...

Had to laugh this morning....a member of the public videoed tractors gathering this morning and sent it to the Herald. You could hear the person filming commenting on the similarity of the tractors....he said "what are they?....John Dearie?" Kind of highlights how out of touch Urban folk are with farmers.

Guru

https://www.stuff.co.nz/southland-ti...rmers-be-heard

It was a particularly unworthy characterisation from Greens co-leader and Climate Change Minister James Shaw to have quite so dismissively referred to the initial organisers as “a couple of Pākehā farmers from down south’’.

For one thing, it’s a shabby thing that he was willing to suggest it was in some way significant that neither was Māori, as if this carried some loss of status in the issue.

For another it would be a difficult thing for any Green to be anything other than admiring of McKenzie’s founding member role in the Pomahaka Water Care Group, rightly celebrated for its effectiveness in improving a catchment’s water quality.