sharetrader
Page 183 of 1432 FirstFirst ... 831331731791801811821831841851861871932332836831183 ... LastLast
Results 1,821 to 1,830 of 14320

Am I the only person here to believe this 'carbon' emission tax is not such a bad thing for farmers? We're talking around a 5% - 7% tax here, not really the end of the world. The net benefit is lower CO2 emissions.

If you really want to draw the productivity cards out - consider what's going on in China. Build more coal fire power plants to meet global demand of their products.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by SBQ View Post
    Am I the only person here to believe this 'carbon' emission tax is not such a bad thing for farmers? We're talking around a 5% - 7% tax here, not really the end of the world. The net benefit is lower CO2 emissions.

If you really want to draw the productivity cards out - consider what's going on in China. Build more coal fire power plants to meet global demand of their products.

You're not the only one.
    Farmers are getting privileged special treatment which isn't offered to other business/industry sectors in many areas.
    e.g. although agriculture contributes almost 50% of NZ's carbon emissions, its exempt from 95% of emission charges. Yet many still seem to think that's too much!
    Also given almost $1billion subsidies support with Mycoplasma Bovis scare, plus irrigation subsidies etc.

Yesterday I saw placards placards saying farmers feed NZ as if that should mean they should be exempt from all regulations the rest of us have to comply with, & they are giving their produce away for free.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/114...proposed-rules

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
    You're not the only one.
    Farmers are getting privileged special treatment which isn't offered to other business/industry sectors in many areas.
    e.g. although agriculture contributes almost 50% of NZ's carbon emissions, its exempt from 95% of emission charges. Yet many still seem to think that's too much!
    Also given almost $1billion subsidies support with Mycoplasma Bovis scare, plus irrigation subsidies etc.

Yesterday I saw placards placards saying farmers feed NZ as if that should mean they should be exempt from all regulations the rest of us have to comply with, & they are giving their produce away for free.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/114...proposed-rules
    Open your eyes to read and see, allow your ears to take in what is actually being said - and you may actually become a better person, rather than losing yourself in your own fog of words from closed eyes and ears.

A good perspective :

Labour can only legislate change, by telling people what to do, taxing and banning things, (free speech, oil exploration, guns).

They can't and haven't actually created anything, kiwibuild, light rail, etc., oh except inflation, more beneficiaries, increase in gun violence, huge debt increase and more homeless & child poverty, despite throwing tens of billions of taxpayers’ monies at said problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    A good perspective :

Labour can only legislate change, by telling people what to do, taxing and banning things, (free speech, oil exploration, guns).

They can't and haven't actually created anything, kiwibuild, light rail, etc., oh except inflation, more beneficiaries, increase in gun violence, huge debt increase and more homeless & child poverty, despite throwing tens of billions of taxpayers’ monies at said problems.
    Can you imagine a scenario for a moment, that is, having this Labour government indefinitely.
    What state would this county be in say 10 - 20 years time.
    Bloody terrifying thought isn't it !
    Where would the funding come from to build this dream-like utopia this lot have in mind. (if they actually have a plan)
    Or would they simply keep on borrowing until we went broke.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Open your eyes to read and see, allow your ears to take in what is actually being said - and you may actually become a better person, rather than losing yourself in your own fog of words from closed eyes and ears.
    Wise word there - follow them Balance.

Guru

Interesting cartoon in the Herald this morning. In short, the message was in reply to
    No farmers No food
    No climate change policies
    No farmers No food.

But it is fair to say that we all need to wear some of the impacts of that.
    Higher prices, maybe, to ensure we have food into the future.

Guru

I am sitting on the fence with respect to this tax. I don’t think there should be a rebate for EVs. However I do accept that carbon emission/polluting needs to be taxed to reflect the cost inflicted on the environment - a user pays charge.

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    Wise word there - follow them Balance.
    Great you agree dobby41 with me but yet to see you put it into practice.
    Last edited by Balance; 17-07-2021 at 05:14 PM.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    I am sitting on the fence with respect to this tax. I don’t think there should be a rebate for EVs. However I do accept that carbon emission/polluting needs to be taxed to reflect the cost inflicted on the environment - a user pays charge.

Imo think its good policy to incentivise the good and penalise the bad, i.e. good to switch to EV's & Hybrids with rebates and penalise the bad - high emission vehicles with a tax if you need to drive change (which we urgently do).
    Just driving around Auckland city there are so so many single drivers driving around these massive gas guzzling status symbol 4x4's.
    Every 2nd real estate agent seems to have one for a start.

I know the govt looked at making exemptions but formulating complicated compliance rules, ruled it out.
    I'm not unsympathetic to farmers but change needs to happen & generally speaking an extra tax deductible $4,300 on a brand new $65,000 Ranger or $4,600 on a $75,000 Wildcat is not going to mean the end of farming & until Ford & Toyota add Hybrid Utes to their fleets, there will still be plenty of second hand ones.

The govt is also pushing emissions charges (in as many cases as possible) back as far up the chain as possible, so although those costs are eventually passed down the chain to the user, it incentivises the manufacturer or producer to lower carbon emissions. To my mind that's good policy.