sharetrader
Page 194 of 1432 FirstFirst ... 941441841901911921931941951961971982042442946941194 ... LastLast
Results 1,931 to 1,940 of 14320
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
    I was ill informed about nurses pay & conditions of employment & jumped to same conclusion until I learnt standard hospital roister consists of 3 x 10 hour shifts per week, 30 hours, leaving 4 days off.
    (Please correct me if I'm wrong)
    This allows many nurses to work overtime shifts to significantly boost their income & many choose to do this.

Many business people end up working high stress 10 hour days anyway 5 days a week, so 3 doesn't seem so bad, and can be very nice having extended 4 day weekends.
    I hope there is more money for nurses but just saying I understand it's not quite as one sided as media present it.
    I guess you'll be deciding to train up to work in ED then.

Does the overtime rate kick in after 30 hours or 40 hours? In other words, the extra shift could well be at the same rate.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    Does the overtime rate kick in after 30 hours or 40 hours? In other words, the extra shift could well be at the same rate.
    Would still be more money though.
    Overtime rates aren't super common now since a previous Govt broke the unions.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    I guess you'll be deciding to train up to work in ED then.

Interesting point, broad generalisations, people who chose to work in ED tend to be a particular personality type (there's an area in medicine for every personality type) which is the extrovert quick thinking action high adrenalin adventure seeking type, e.g. enjoy mountain biking, rock climbing, skiing, fast paced action activities.
    (Whereas for example someone in pathology tends to be more the introvert contemplative steady type. )

Actually - just checked how much the poor nurses get paid in NZ:

nurses salary.JPG

from https://www.careers.govt.nz/jobs-dat.../about-the-job

Actually - this is better money than many high tec IT workers or engineers are paid in NZ. This is better money than most people starting a company will receive ... and actually it is better money than police or teachers get paid.

Just wondering whether the nurses really have a good reason to strike other than obviously - they have the nation over the knee and they can.

Maybe not just the selfless angels they pretend to be?
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Actually - just checked how much the poor nurses get paid in NZ:

nurses salary.JPG

from https://www.careers.govt.nz/jobs-dat.../about-the-job

Actually - this is better money than many high tec IT workers or engineers are paid in NZ. This is better money than most people starting a company will receive ... and actually it is better money than police or teachers get paid.

Just wondering whether the nurses really have a good reason to strike other than obviously - they have the nation over the knee and they can.

Maybe not just the selfless angels they pretend to be?
    How does the NZ pay compare to what nurses get over in Australia?

When I grew up in Canada, it was always the argument of pay in similar comparison. Over in the US, reg. nurses there were on the order of x2 times more than the pay nurses received in Canada. It was like that for all professions in medical - top hospitals would canvas directly at med schools in Canada with rich pay packets that included no hassle moving, no hassle with immigration visas, and a $10K signing bonus (this was in 1990s where you would get $10K just to sign up). Naturally all the top graduates moved to the US citing 'brain drain' by the Cdn gov't. I would imagine between NZ & Australia, the move over is even easier without the need of visa work permits.

Quote Originally Posted by SBQ View Post
    How does the NZ pay compare to what nurses get over in Australia?

When I grew up in Canada, it was always the argument of pay in similar comparison. Over in the US, reg. nurses there were on the order of x2 times more than the pay nurses received in Canada. It was like that for all professions in medical - top hospitals would canvas directly at med schools in Canada with rich pay packets that included no hassle moving, no hassle with immigration visas, and a $10K signing bonus (this was in 1990s where you would get $10K just to sign up). Naturally all the top graduates moved to the US citing 'brain drain' by the Cdn gov't. I would imagine between NZ & Australia, the move over is even easier without the need of visa work permits.
    Well, yes - but only for people without brain. Nobody in their right mind would be happy to move to a country where they have to pay all the taxes but don't get any support if things turn pear shaped. You know, things like illness or impaired children being born do happen. Ossie taxpayer however does not care if this happens to dumb Kiwis who went over the ditch for a handful of peanuts more ...

Anybody going to Australia without having at least permanent residence is in my view no loss to NZ - they are not able to assess risks and act very irresponsible. Only thing is - we should not allow them to return when things get bad for them over there to suck from the NZ tax payer whom they didn't support while things went well.
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Guru

….the aussies chew the kiwis up and then spit ‘em out!

Guru

Micheal Would (if he could) and Cynical Cindy are leaving these people to rot, and fellow hypocritical Lefty Phil Goof is equally culpable. Disgusting.
    Money - millions to hundreds of millions - is earmarked for the mongrel mob, the ISIS bride, He Puapua hui's, a white elephant cycle bridge across the Auckland harbour....but nothing for suicidal business people whose lives have been destroyed by the white elephant CRL which is growing like Topsy and consuming untold billions for negligible gain.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/opi...-albert-street

Nightmare on Albert Street

Rob Stock
    05:00, Jul 28 2021

OPINION: What is being done to the business owners of Auckland’s construction hell block is cruel.

Their businesses and health are being destroyed by the construction project on the intersection of Albert St and Victoria St West in the heart of Auckland’s CBD to build the city’s light rail link.

When the project to build the rail link was developed all costs were calculated, except the cost to the people with the misfortune to have a business fronting the construction site.

That was a cost they would have to bear alone.

It is hard to convey how awful the plight of the shop owners in the area of the Albert St and Victoria St junction is.
    Reporters often meet people who have suffered traumatic events, but it is still shocking to see grown men break down and weep.

On Friday, new Labour MP Helen White met business owners, in what felt like a genuine attempt to gather human stories to take back to Labour grandees in a bid to press the case for compensation.
    After sitting though the meeting, I was talking with Vijay Chauhan, the 34-year-old owner of the Taj Mahal restaurant on Victoria Street, and Viv Beck, chief executive of the Heart of the City, when suddenly Chauhan turned his back, and began to cry.

Chauhan had not opened his restaurant in 23 days.

“It’s not good for my mental health to stand there all day listening to the noise with no customers,” he told me.
    He was the fourth owner who had cried as they told their story to me on Thursday and Friday last week.

He was not the first to tell me he had been prescribed antidepressants, and was taking sleeping pills.

Earlier he asked White if it would take someone to kill themselves to make the Government do something to help.
    What is happening to these people is so simple to understand, and yet it seems it’s too hard for the authorities to grasp.

There is a goliath construction project literally arm’s length from these people's shop doors.
    Customers can only get to them by running a gauntlet of sewer smells, excruciating noise, dust, and dismal narrow passageways, while squeezing past burly construction workers.
    You have to stand in Riven Liang’s barber shop at 98 Albert St to really understand how deafening the noise is.

“Do you hear the music?” he shouts to me, though we are standing next to each other inside, with the door to the street closed.

I don’t.

Then there is a momentary lull in the drilling and vibration.

Liang’s got a stereo on, and not quietly either. I hadn’t realised.
    You'd have to be profoundly deaf to want to get a haircut in his shop right now.

Shobhana Ranchhodji owner of florist Roma Blooms used to get 25 customers a day come into her shop, as well as online orders.

Now courier drivers can’t get to her to pick up flowers, and she’s lucky to get two customers a day come into her shop in person.
    Andy Ariano, a kind, quietly-spoken, dignified man, closed his restaurant Da Vinci on Saturday for the last time after successfully operating there for a decade.
    It’s heartbreaking to see this forced on a man who has done everything our society wants from its people.

He’s stood on his own two feet, created jobs, paid taxes, contributed the life of our city, and he has been repaid with this.

What hurts these people most is that the open-handed generosity of the Covid era, in which those who suffered financial hardship through no fault of their own, were helped, does not extend to them.

Let’s be clear: This is not just about money. It is about decency and conscience. It is about not treating people as though they don’t matter. Real harm is being done here.
    It was all so predictable, and yet, the cost of that harm was left to sit on these people’s shoulders, in order to build the rest of us a light railway.

It all begs the question: What sort of society does this to people?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Logen Ninefingers View Post
    Micheal Would (if he could) and Cynical Cindy are leaving these people to rot, and fellow hypocritical Lefty Phil Goof is equally culpable. Disgusting.
    Money - millions to hundreds of millions - is earmarked for the mongrel mob, the ISIS bride, He Puapua hui's, a white elephant cycle bridge across the Auckland harbour....but nothing for suicidal business people whose lives have been destroyed by the white elephant CRL which is growing like Topsy and consuming untold billions for negligible gain.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/opi...-albert-street

Nightmare on Albert Street

Rob Stock
    05:00, Jul 28 2021

OPINION: What is being done to the business owners of Auckland’s construction hell block is cruel.

Their businesses and health are being destroyed by the construction project on the intersection of Albert St and Victoria St West in the heart of Auckland’s CBD to build the city’s light rail link.

When the project to build the rail link was developed all costs were calculated, except the cost to the people with the misfortune to have a business fronting the construction site.

That was a cost they would have to bear alone.

It is hard to convey how awful the plight of the shop owners in the area of the Albert St and Victoria St junction is.
    Reporters often meet people who have suffered traumatic events, but it is still shocking to see grown men break down and weep.

On Friday, new Labour MP Helen White met business owners, in what felt like a genuine attempt to gather human stories to take back to Labour grandees in a bid to press the case for compensation.
    After sitting though the meeting, I was talking with Vijay Chauhan, the 34-year-old owner of the Taj Mahal restaurant on Victoria Street, and Viv Beck, chief executive of the Heart of the City, when suddenly Chauhan turned his back, and began to cry.

Chauhan had not opened his restaurant in 23 days.

“It’s not good for my mental health to stand there all day listening to the noise with no customers,” he told me.
    He was the fourth owner who had cried as they told their story to me on Thursday and Friday last week.

He was not the first to tell me he had been prescribed antidepressants, and was taking sleeping pills.

Earlier he asked White if it would take someone to kill themselves to make the Government do something to help.
    What is happening to these people is so simple to understand, and yet it seems it’s too hard for the authorities to grasp.

There is a goliath construction project literally arm’s length from these people's shop doors.
    Customers can only get to them by running a gauntlet of sewer smells, excruciating noise, dust, and dismal narrow passageways, while squeezing past burly construction workers.
    You have to stand in Riven Liang’s barber shop at 98 Albert St to really understand how deafening the noise is.

“Do you hear the music?” he shouts to me, though we are standing next to each other inside, with the door to the street closed.

I don’t.

Then there is a momentary lull in the drilling and vibration.

Liang’s got a stereo on, and not quietly either. I hadn’t realised.
    You'd have to be profoundly deaf to want to get a haircut in his shop right now.

Shobhana Ranchhodji owner of florist Roma Blooms used to get 25 customers a day come into her shop, as well as online orders.

Now courier drivers can’t get to her to pick up flowers, and she’s lucky to get two customers a day come into her shop in person.
    Andy Ariano, a kind, quietly-spoken, dignified man, closed his restaurant Da Vinci on Saturday for the last time after successfully operating there for a decade.
    It’s heartbreaking to see this forced on a man who has done everything our society wants from its people.

He’s stood on his own two feet, created jobs, paid taxes, contributed the life of our city, and he has been repaid with this.

What hurts these people most is that the open-handed generosity of the Covid era, in which those who suffered financial hardship through no fault of their own, were helped, does not extend to them.

Let’s be clear: This is not just about money. It is about decency and conscience. It is about not treating people as though they don’t matter. Real harm is being done here.
    It was all so predictable, and yet, the cost of that harm was left to sit on these people’s shoulders, in order to build the rest of us a light railway.

It all begs the question: What sort of society does this to people?

Let's face it....Ardern's "Be Kind" mantra only extends to those whose numbers deliver seats in parliament. Don't expect to see her anywhere near it. Her credibility already stretched further this week with her rejection of the 18k children pushed into poverty. Refuses to accept the methodology when the evidence is staring her in the teeth!

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Well, yes - but only for people without brain. Nobody in their right mind would be happy to move to a country where they have to pay all the taxes but don't get any support if things turn pear shaped. You know, things like illness or impaired children being born do happen. Ossie taxpayer however does not care if this happens to dumb Kiwis who went over the ditch for a handful of peanuts more ...

Anybody going to Australia without having at least permanent residence is in my view no loss to NZ - they are not able to assess risks and act very irresponsible. Only thing is - we should not allow them to return when things get bad for them over there to suck from the NZ tax payer whom they didn't support while things went well.
    This is laughable. Nothing in life is without risk. My brother is in Australia for years only on work visa and doing great. I can assure you he is perfectly capable of assessing all of the risks and rewards and is not "very irresponsible" as he actually hit the IQ scale ceiling.