sharetrader
Page 197 of 1432 FirstFirst ... 971471871931941951961971981992002012072472976971197 ... LastLast
Results 1,961 to 1,970 of 14320
    Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    I know how it works, I am a large landlord with quite a few years' experience.
    I suspect we are talking across each other but saying the same thing.
    Interesting that one of the strongest defenders on this forum of Ardern's administration, describes themselves as a large landlord. Speaks volumes. You have undoubtedly enjoyed a massive increase in the value of your capital base, all tax free provided you stay on the right side of the bright line. But what of Labour's traditional constituency? The people who now have no show of ever buying even one house while having sleepless nights as to where next weeks rent money is coming from and heading to the Food bank to feed their kids,

Nothing personal against you dobby41, you have done nothing wrong being a landlord, but you have to admit, it's all arse about face as to what Labour should be doing!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    Nothing personal against you dobby41, you have done nothing wrong being a landlord, but you have to admit, it's all arse about face as to what Labour should be doing!
    Trying to make landlords do the right thing (Healthy Homes) and slow the rise driven by cheap money - that's what they are trying to do.

Trying to make landlords do the right thing (Healthy Homes) and slow the rise driven by cheap money - that's what they are trying to do.
    And failing dismally - all spin and no delivery.

Guru

Well, much to the benefit of your personal wealth, they have failed miserably, and screwed over their traditional constituency in the meantime. But hey, they sit on the throne and can do the stuff they really care about, imposing their woke agenda on NZ while dishing out lollies.

Advanced Member

Well, much to the benefit of your personal wealth, they have failed miserably, and screwed over their traditional constituency in the meantime. But hey, they sit on the throne and can do the stuff they really care about, imposing their woke agenda on NZ while dishing out lollies.

Although I wouldn't use those words, agree that the rapid increase under this govt to the most unaffordable house prices in the world (& rents too? ) are a disaster for the country & will cast a stain on this govt's legacy for a long time to come.

Too much cheap money pumped into the economy, with no increase in productivity, chasing the same amount of assets = inflation.
    With house prices & rents as high as they are, the social welfare bill is going to skyrocket as well as all the social problems which come with low home ownership rates.

Anyone with even considerable wealth tied up in housing must be worried about their children's & eventually their grandchildren's prospects for home ownership. I know I am & worry about my relatives kids and their group of young friends.

When I was in my early 20's you could buy a 3 bedroom house with a section in a suburb like Remuera or Herne Bay for around $30,000, today I just looked at a very basic tiny 2 brm unit with no off street parking asking $1.3 million. Crazy.

The implications are huge, young couples putting off having children while desperately trying to save for a house or try & get on top of eye watering mortgages.
    Young kids in rental accommodation being moved from school to school with no security of home ownership.
    Increasing numbers living in motels or cars.
    etc etc

Landlords never do the right thing - they work on minimum requirements. I mean the gov't had to bring in the Healthy Homes Act because of that. They've turned rentals into a profit making game. It reminds me of the Three's Company TV show my parents use to watch in the 80s where Mr Furley (the landlord) would always say, "I'm providing a service to you! now pay up!"

Yep for a moment I thought Jacinda was doing something about releasing funds for infrastructure which would increase the supply of houses. Far too slow.

NZ politicians have a conflict of interest (which applies to ALL politicians regardless of which party they're from). If they own multiple houses, they can no formulate any meaningful policy that jeopardizes their investment - plain and simple.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
    ..... When I was in my early 20's you could buy a 3 bedroom house with a section in a suburb like Remuera or Herne Bay for around $30,000, today I just looked at a very basic tiny 2 brm unit with no off street parking asking $1.3 million. Crazy.

The implications are huge, young couples putting off having children while desperately trying to save for a house or try & get on top of eye watering mortgages.
    Young kids in rental accommodation being moved from school to school with no security of home ownership.
    Increasing numbers living in motels or cars.
    etc etc
    Wellington is an expensive city for renting and buying. But that young couple could look at Wellington apartments or suburb do-up units as a first step for few years while building income and skills and paying down the mortgage. I was looking this week at a nice 2 bedroom apartment with garage very close to the CBD, BEO $495k. Company share plus body corp fees.

Probably not a forever home for a young couple but a start.

Or they could decide not to delay babies and stay renting.

I know, not an either / or choice but there are choices involved. And outcomes.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/covid-...HOJUZF7HYQLKQ/

Horrendous shortage of health personnel, especially doctors but this government goes out of its way to make prospective migrants from that sector feel unwelcome.

WTF!

Too busy with spin - everything else is left to rot and indecision.

$100m for fixing marae to get votes was easy but taking care of health matters - too hard.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political...-a-better-deal

Now watch the government screw this up with the nerd head David ‘lockdown does not apply to me’ Clark in charge.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political...-a-better-deal
    Now watch the government screw this up with the nerd head David ‘lockdown does not apply to me’ Clark in charge.
    I did see a while back that My Food Bag was the third biggest retail food supplier. Add in Hello Fresh and a range of smaller retailers and that looks like food competition to me.