sharetrader
Page 217 of 1434 FirstFirst ... 1171672072132142152162172182192202212272673177171217 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,170 of 14339

No doubt the pumped hydro scheme will probably be 'pumped' as the solution to our woes, however I cannot see this being built for a very long time given the cost, environmental impact, & associated legal objections to any consent being issued.

As for gas exploration, the major players have already departed NZ and will not return. Local companies are taking an ever increasing share of an ever diminishing market. Hydrogen distributed via the existing gas network is being touted as a suitable replacement, but the issues with this approach are far too numerous to be solved within the timeframe we require.

So, what will the politicians come up with?
    Last edited by Zaphod; 10-08-2021 at 10:47 AM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    We probably need to set up a new working group ... I hear their reports are great to kindle the fire in the logburner ... if you still have one ;
    Used the old kitchen log burner this morning. These last few years it has been used only a handful of times each Winter. As the neighbour and I were clearing up some illegal dumping (it costs people a fortune to take rubbish to an Auckland dump) from the roadside drainage ditch, they pointedly said how hazy it was this morning. It looks like I will have to get them something other than A Schloss Plonk White for Christmas!

Yep ideological policies came with a price tag one way or the other.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 10-08-2021 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Used the old kitchen log burner this morning. These last few years it has been used only a handful of times each Winter. As the neighbour and I were clearing up some illegal dumping (it costs people a fortune to take rubbish to an Auckland dump) from the roadside drainage ditch, they pointedly said how hazy it was this morning. It looks like I will have to get them something other than A Schloss Plonk White for Christmas!
    Maybe you should invest into a cleaner log burner :
    ----
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future" (Niels Bohr)

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPeter View Post
    Maybe you should invest into a cleaner log burner :
    Next step will be to remove it. Winters have become milder and I tell everyone to wear jumpers in the mornings!

Next step will be to remove it. Winters have become milder and I tell everyone to wear jumpers in the mornings!
    Have you not heard Cindy’s solution? She and her Maori caucus are going to ban winter as it is contrary to Maori traditional belief? And you must not question that decision as it’s racist to do so.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/power-...OORUSDLMC2JBU/

This is the best that Cindy can do these days - mouth platitudes & sermons after 3.5 years in power.

Guru

...and now we cannot supply electricity to our overpriced homes at the times they need it most.

She'll be right. Is it a case of The banks stuffing money into creating our expensive residential real estate; while Government allows Transpower to be neglected?

Who would have thought that population growth would create new Winter peaks for electricity demand too.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/pol...n-frigid-night

BTW Perhaps National and its restructures can share a generous amount of blame for this too?
    The Cook Strait cable was running 50% (so capacity there) and Huntly running 50% - not a capacity issue.
    Capitalist market failure?
    Maybe the Govt should take it all over since they get the blame anyway

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/power-...OORUSDLMC2JBU/

This is the best that Cindy can do these days - mouth platitudes & sermons after 3.5 years in power.
    Because they were supposed to do what to make the generators do their job?

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    Because they were supposed to do what to make the generators do their job?
    What is the government for then?

One phone call would have fixed the problem but Cindy was soundly asleep with dreams of the UN posting.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/300378816/power-blackouts-genesis-energy-didnt-generate-extra-power-despite-freezing-cold-pm-says-situation-not-good-enough

There is capacity but as usual, this government was too busy thinking of what to spend and do as the next Maori initiative to lock in their votes.

Note Megan Wood has written this morning to the power companies, demanding answers! She has lost her mobile? Or has she lost the plot?
    Last edited by Balance; 10-08-2021 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    What is the government for then?
    Are you serious Dobby. You have an answer for everything. Too bad it seldom makes any sense.