sharetrader
Page 289 of 1431 FirstFirst ... 1892392792852862872882892902912922932993393897891289 ... LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,890 of 14308
    Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by dobby41 View Post
    If there are 2000 added every month where were they living last month?
    I can't get my head around this - it is as if they didn't exist last month.
    When we had high immigration I could have believed this but now?
    That's the social housing waiting list. Of which more than half are single people (mostly) or two adults (fewer). No children. Been terminated from private rentals, including boarding houses, or asked to leave by flatmates? They might be perfectly good tenants, but a bit risky under the many new rules or landlords are making different choices with their assets.

The 8000 on Trademe are hardly 'empty' - between tenants maybe (and some, not even that - I would list the moment I had been given 28 days notice (now) but it wouldn't be empty).
    Of course they are empty or soon will be. That is why they are advertised as vacancies. Then there are the thousands of ads for flatmates.

....I'd be more concerned about the wastage where people leave them empty because they make more out of tax-free capital gain without the bother of having to manage tenants.But that is their right, isn't it!
    Yes that is their right. But there are also plenty that might be perfectly liveable, and cheap, but don't meet the new standards, so remain vacant. And those waiting out the 5 year bright line period before selling.

It is a complex sector with many aspects. Do not however discount the many changes brought in since 2017, in response to which assets owners make decisions in their best interest. Because they can.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    You're not going to get an answer from him, so I'll help you. Yes. He has been on their payroll for the last three years.
    Obviously, you missed the answer (2861) or it didn't suit your narrative?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Those three countries obviously think their alliance is worth formalising further and strengthening.

I'd want to ask what they have learned from Iraq and Afghanistan that will be different this time.

Plus whether a different US administration will result in different diplomatic policies.
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; 16-09-2021 at 02:12 PM.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Actually they were mostly in rental properties now made unaffordable by Cindy's housing policies.
    Megan Woods is on the record saying some in motels etc were previously in private rentals. She didn't say how many, and perhaps would not be expected to.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Panda-NZ- View Post
    I'd want to ask what they have learned from Iraq and Afghanistan that will be different this time.

Plus whether a different US administration will result in different foreign policies.
    Perhaps they learnt that they needed closer cooperation in technology and in other fields - hence this Aukus Alliance. Afghanistan had the broader involvement of NATO countries.

Advanced Member

Any research to back this change in support?

Yes. The last election & consistent polls since for starters.
    Also the confidence the big business community has shown in Grant Robertson as Minister of Finance.

Guru

Perhaps they learnt that they needed closer cooperation in technology and in other fields - hence this Aukus Alliance. Afghanistan had the broader involvement of NATO countries.
    It seems more military based.

Biden put the free trade deal with britain on ice, and didn't share any Pfizer vaccines with Australia.

Who are now in those properties?
    I asked you these questions already and I gather you don't have any answers - quick pokes are easier?
    Home owners - that's who.

If you care to study the market (as I do in the property market), you will know that there was a net gain of migration into NZ in the last year and half.

Everyone of the 38,000+ coming into NZ needs a home to live in and most are in a position to buy (which they do) but those leaving, 30,000+, were mostly short term migrant workers who did not leave a home behind to sell.

Then, you have the super low interest rates prompting people to buy properties rather than continue renting when they are in a position to do so.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post
    That's the social housing waiting list. Of which more than half are single people (mostly) or two adults (fewer). No children. Been terminated from private rentals, including boarding houses, or asked to leave by flatmates? They might be perfectly good tenants, but a bit risky under the many new rules or landlords are making different choices with their assets.
    Agreed.
    LLs, if they get the choice, will house those they deem the least risk. Most always have!
    When rentals are short the LLs have the power, when tenants are short LLs will house the riskier ones or have an empty asset.

Of course they are empty or soon will be. That is why they are advertised as vacancies. Then there are the thousands of ads for flatmates.
    I agree that technically many (most? I'm not sure as I have outlined already) are 'empty' but how could they house someone else while between tenants?
    You'd need to look deeper into the stats to find out how long they had been empty for.
    I'm really not sure why you are offering this as a solution to anything - seems like a silly argument to me.

Yes that is their right. But there are also plenty that might be perfectly liveable, and cheap, but don't meet the new standards, so remain vacant. And those waiting out the 5 year bright line period before selling.

It is a complex sector with many aspects. Do not however discount the many changes brought in since 2017, in response to which assets owners make decisions in their best interest. Because they can.
    There is certainly an argument in support of that.
    Some say that a **** house (cold, damp, mouldy?) is better than no house but is that really the best we can do?
    'Perfectly liveable' houses won't be hard to make meet the standard.
    I agree, though, that some of the standards can be hard to meet for some properties. Ventilation is one area that comes to mind.
    Heating is a contentious area - you have to supply a heater that the tenants can't afford to use.

Guru

Obviously, you missed the answer (2861) or it didn't suit your narrative?
    I did miss your post (2861). Apologies and thanks for pointing it out, and for the clarification....although I'm mystified as to how you could defend Ardern at every turn.