sharetrader
Page 295 of 1432 FirstFirst ... 1952452852912922932942952962972982993053453957951295 ... LastLast
Results 2,941 to 2,950 of 14320
    Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    Just in case you thought NZ media were gaining some semblance of integrity as the 100 million bribe runs out, here comes dear old RNZ with this doozy of a headline. Somehow NZ is a winner in an agreement Ardern says we weren't even consulted on. Given it involves nuclear subs that's not surprising...but seriously, being pushed further out of the nest gets spun as a win? Keep the cash flowing Cindy....they're loving it!

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/natio...?ocid=msedgntp

I think you'll find its not just RNZ saying the AUKUS agreement will result in good outcomes for NZ. Many business commentators were quick to point this out & other media are too.

Why? Because how do you think China will react to those countries who are behaving increasingly belligerently toward China, (and remember the US,UK & Australia were the first & most eager to invade Iraq & Afghanistan)?

With China buying around a third of our exports, NZ would want to think seriously before joining this military alliance against China.
    Our independent stance looking increasingly like being rewarded by China while Australia punished further.
    You only have to look at how much better the NZ economy has faired recently than the Australian economy with it's muscular attitude to China (& resulting falling exports of Iron ore & other exports to China) .
    You would not want to be heavily invested in any Australian company dependent on exports to China after this.
    Whereas NZ is likely to benefit.
    Was it just coincidence later the same day this was announced, MFAT received a formal request from China to join the CPTPP ?

So I think the accusation the RNZ is spinning a story linked to a bribe from the govt is a wee bit off the mark.

BTW, even Keating has said Australia's obsession with nuclear submarines is absurd , the sub's projected to cost about $90 billion plus $145 billion to maintain over their life cycle.

What's NZ's entire defence budget, about $4 billion?
    Last edited by Blue Skies; 18-09-2021 at 08:33 AM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Skies View Post
    I think you'll find its not just RNZ saying the AUKUS agreement will result in good outcomes for NZ. Many business commentators were quick to point this out & other media are too.

Why? Because how do you think China will react to those countries who are behaving increasingly belligerently toward China, (and remember the US,UK & Australia were the first & most eager to invade Iraq & Afghanistan)?

With China buying around a third of our exports, NZ would want to think seriously before joining this military alliance against China.
    Our independent stance looking increasingly like being rewarded by China while Australia punished further.
    You only have to look at how much better the NZ economy has faired recently than the Australian economy with it's muscular attitude to China (& resulting falling exports of Iron ore & other exports to China) .
    You would not want to be heavily invested in any Australian company dependent on exports to China after this.
    Was it just coincidence later the same day this was announced, MFAT received a formal request from China to join the CPTPP ?

So I think the accusation the RNZ is spinning a story linked to a bribe from the govt is a wee bit off the mark.
    Except that about 80% of the article says the opposite. One passing mention from Coleman talks about "the best of both worlds" and that NZ could benefit, which he also tempered by some more cautious comments.

There is a view that we were best left out of it. It's just not strongly articulated in this article and certainly doesn't merit the headline given the article's content. So, naturally enough I'm left asking "Why?". Oh that's right, Ardern's government fed the media 100 million.

BTW, even Keating has said Australia's obsession with nuclear submarines is absurd , the sub's projected to cost about $90 billion plus $145 billion to maintain over their life cycle.

And Chinese military is standing still ? I don't think so.

You honestly don't see any threat from China? I think NZ is being very nieve and ignorant, for money......

Guru

Here's two more articles from one of the Ardern government's propaganda mouthpieces.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/the-90...YW4PRFHDEQKTU/

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/covid-...34H2FQ7I7GIUI/

You may agree with the sentiment expressed. But since when are our national newspapers the PR arm of the government? Note the advertising banners across the top espousing the same message as in the article. Is that coincidence? Does anyone wonder why? Does the fact Ardern paid them 100 million have anything to do with it?

That's on top of the government being their biggest advertiser at the moment. All those Covid banners don't come for free.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BDL View Post
    You honestly don't see any threat from China? I think NZ is being very nieve and ignorant, for money......
    Will global Pax Sinensis be worse than Pax Americana or Pax Britannica before that?
    Last edited by Bjauck; 18-09-2021 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    Will global Pax Sinensis be worse than Pax Americana or Pax Britannica before that?
    Don't even know what you are trying to get at there.

The importance of the Fourth Estate :

The term Fourth Estate or fourth power refers to the press and news media both in explicit capacity of advocacy and implicit ability to frame political issues. Though it is not formally recognized as a part of a political system, it wields significant indirect social influence.

I wonder what 100m can get you.....
    Last edited by BDL; 18-09-2021 at 09:12 AM.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BDL View Post
    The importance of the Fourth Estate :

The term Fourth Estate or fourth power refers to the press and news media both in explicit capacity of advocacy and implicit ability to frame political issues. Though it is not formally recognized as a part of a political system, it wields significant indirect social influence.

I wonder what 100m can get you.....
    Should they not be reranked for modern times. Perhaps the 2cnd estate?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jonu View Post
    Here's two more articles from one of the Ardern government's propaganda mouthpieces.
    The media is significantly worse in Australia.

They wouldn't report on rape allegations on a particular cabinet minister, or the other misconduct of people in the government who pretend to be christians.
    They won't report on the national debt Australia has accumulated compared to the previous government.

I prefer Micheal west, independent journalist.

https://www.youtube.com/c/TheWestReport/videos